Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-20-2020, 12:58 PM   #1
Pure_Terror
Frackin!

Detolf Question - Adjusting Shelves

Hey gang I had a quick question I know there is a lot of information about the ability to move a glass detolf shelf up and down to accommodate a taller piece. I see that a lot of people are using the rope metal clamps that you can get at any hardware store and then tighten them down - my question is how much weight will that comfortably support… I have a new HexHill bust coming and I don’t think it’s too terribly heavy but would these new adjustable rope clamps support something like a Premium Format 1/4 statue that’s 22lbs?

TIA

PT
Pure_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:07 PM   #2
ukshaun
Hercules

The clamps are not the issue. The 1st issue is the shelf. Some (myself included) purchase thicker glass shelves that can hold higher weight loads.

Thicker glass shelves do not solve the whole problem in themselves. The main problem with Detolf units is the fact that all the strain is placed on the 3 pieces of glass that make up the sides and rear. Too much weight results in glass shatter.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:09 PM   #3
MechWestern
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I thought the clamps were also added to make sure the welds hold on the metal frames too, no?
MechWestern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:46 PM   #4
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechWestern View Post
I thought the clamps were also added to make sure the welds hold on the metal frames too, no?
Yes. Just adding thicker shelves without adding the clamps beneath the tiny weld points of the metal horizontal pieces is actually going to do more harm than good, because I would easily bet the weld point would fail before the tempered glass shelf, which incidentally is about 4 times stronger than regular glass (so, on that note, the replacement shelves better also be tempered, otherwise at best you are gaining nothing).
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:50 PM   #5
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_Terror View Post
Hey gang I had a quick question I know there is a lot of information about the ability to move a glass detolf shelf up and down to accommodate a taller piece. I see that a lot of people are using the rope metal clamps that you can get at any hardware store and then tighten them down - my question is how much weight will that comfortably support… I have a new HexHill bust coming and I don’t think it’s too terribly heavy but would these new adjustable rope clamps support something like a Premium Format 1/4 statue that’s 22lbs?

TIA

PT
I would check online... lots of glass weight load calculators... just enter the specifics of the glass you are using. Then also check the weight load limits of the clamps. Use the lesser of the two, of course, as your limit
Old 11-20-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Yes. Just adding thicker shelves without adding the clamps beneath the tiny weld points of the metal horizontal pieces is actually going to do more harm than good, because I would easily bet the weld point would fail before the tempered glass shelf, which incidentally is about 4 times stronger than regular glass (so, on that note, the replacement shelves better also be tempered, otherwise at best you are gaining nothing).
I ditched all (5) Detolf's and kept just one. The double thickness glass i use is laminated (2 sheets of glass bonded together). Each of the 2 shelf's has to hold the weight of a single not too heavy 1/4 statue.

I have spotted in various photo's, some collectors place 2x Detolf shelves one on top of the other. I am not sure if there are any benefits using this method.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:57 PM   #7
Pure_Terror
Frackin!

I’ll have to re-think it.Maybe I just need to keep lighter pieces, 1/6 etc in the cases. I’m hoping this may fit in Sideshows singular Xl Lighted case....I’ll know when it arrives later today.

Here’s the piece I ordered from Hexhill:

Pure_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:58 PM   #8
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_Terror View Post
I’ll have to re-think it.Maybe I just need to keep lighter pieces, 1/6 etc in the cases. I’m hoping this may fit in Sideshows singular Xl Lighted case....I’ll know when it arrives later today.

Here’s the piece I ordered from Hexhill:

Really cool piece, BTW.