Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Blizzard / Weta

Old 02-26-2018, 04:53 AM   #91
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxter View Post
has anyone seen the pictures on Facebook by some supplier. They got them first but the paint job is pretty poor.
Yeah, they’re terrible pictures. Everyone is freaking out on the Flame of Udûn boards over it too. Personally I’ll wait until someone posts decent pics or I have it in hand before passing judgment. Been down this road too many times to buy into the negative hype surrounding early blurry pics in poor lighting using a flash.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:08 PM   #92
Malvo
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Yeah, they’re terrible pictures. Everyone is freaking out on the Flame of Udûn boards over it too. Personally I’ll wait until someone posts decent pics or I have it in hand before passing judgment. Been down this road too many times to buy into the negative hype surrounding early blurry pics in poor lighting using a flash.
Funny, we were all saying the exact same thing concerning the War Troll just a few short months ago. How did that work out? Well thankfully, we now have some very good photos available that are neither blurry or taken in poor lighting......and the paint job is just as bad.

https://www.facebook.com/49003980120...type=3&theater

For the record, we have a recently produced Eowyn statue with a pale green dress instead of white, an orc warrior with pink hair, a War Troll whose paint apps don't even remotely resemble the prototype, and an Eomer on Firefoot statue that doesn't include Firefoot. And now we have a Thrandruil on Elk whose paint apps fall far short of the prototype.

Personally speaking, my willingness to give Weta the benefit of the doubt in light of recent events is over. I shouldn't have to hold my breath and hope that the statue I just ordered from them looks like the prototype, yet that is exactly what I find myself doing these days. Well no more, if I have to pay someone to repaint my Thrandruil of Elk after paying 1K for it, I'm done with Weta. There are many collectible companies out there that don't take me for granted as a customer, and sadly, Weta isn't one of them at the moment.
Malvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:09 PM   #93
pinkxter
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Here is link to the Facebook pictures, hopefully it opens up fine.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...c_location=ufi

I agree, it's a business, we paid for a product/service and it should meet quality standards. This is separate from the fact that I truly do appreciate Weta working on these product lines to make pieces for the collectors market. But they are doing it because this is a business as well, from that point as consumers we should be satisfied with the purchase.
pinkxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:47 PM   #94
Malvo
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Here is link to the Facebook pictures, hopefully it opens up fine.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...c_location=ufi

I agree, it's a business, we paid for a product/service and it should meet quality standards. This is separate from the fact that I truly do appreciate Weta working on these product lines to make pieces for the collectors market. But they are doing it because this is a business as well, from that point as consumers we should be satisfied with the purchase.
I think a lot of us appreciate the fact that Weta is producing middle-earth related collectibles because at the moment no one else is. But this nonsense is unacceptable. It wasn't that ago that people in large numbers stopped pre-ordering SS statues because of the brutal QC issues.....and rightfully so. And it's forced SS to up their game. Collectors need to stop making excuses for Weta and start holding them accountable to the same degree......unless they don't mind paying top dollar for sub-standard quality.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:51 PM   #95
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvo View Post
Funny, we were all saying the exact same thing concerning the War Troll just a few short months ago. How did that work out? Well thankfully, we now have some very good photos available that are neither blurry or taken in poor lighting......and the paint job is just as bad.

https://www.facebook.com/49003980120...type=3&theater
Now those are some good pics. Having looked over them I’m having a hard time seeing the areas of concern. Not saying they aren’t there, I just don’t see them without someone pointing them out. Which usually tells me I’d be pretty happy with the piece. Then again I never expect prototype quality on a production piece.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:04 PM   #96
pinkxter

Quote:
Now those are some good pics. Having looked over them I’m having a hard time seeing the areas of concern. Not saying they aren’t there, I just don’t see them without someone pointing them out. Which usually tells me I’d be pretty happy with the piece. Then again I never expect prototype quality on a production piece.
Thranduils face, it seems like its made of PVC or some cheap plastic. The face and its paint are what concerns me, the top half of the Elk, the brown color of the fur should be darker.

The paint job is the issue being raised in the forums.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:12 PM   #97
Malvo
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
You could start with ever single beige area on the elk itself [above the hind and quarter legs, and the head]. Far too much beige and virtually no shading....those areas stick out like a sore thumb in comparison to the prototype. And at 1 K a pop, not only do I expect my statues to look like the prototype, I know its possible. As anyone whose ever bought a Prime 1 statue can attest to.

And given the fact you sent back your War Troll for a refund, I suspect there are instances when you actually do expect prototype quality on a production piece. If not, I'm sure no one will be happier to hear that than the folks at Weta.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thrandruil on Elk 5.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	111929Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	111930Click image for larger version

Name:	Thrandruil on Elk 10.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	111931Click image for larger version

Name:	After 2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	111932
Old 02-26-2018, 04:41 PM   #98
Malvo
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Thranduils face, it seems like its made of PVC or some cheap plastic. The face and its paint are what concerns me, the top half of the Elk, the brown color of the fur should be darker.

The paint job is the issue being raised in the forums.
You're right. There's something 'off' with his face...not sure if it's plastic or a paint app devoid or depth/warmth, but something doesn't look right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thrandruil on Elk 6.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	111933Click image for larger version

Name:	After 3.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	111934
Old 02-26-2018, 04:45 PM   #99
pinkxter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvo View Post
You're right. There's something 'off' with his face...not sure if it's plastic or a paint app devoid or depth/warmth, but something doesn't look right.

Attachment 111933Attachment 111934
Nice side-by-side, not only the face, look at the detail in the armor in terms of paint, the prototype looks to have amazing depth in the armor.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #100
pinkxter

video:

https://www.facebook.com/Tscchannel/...location=group