Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-01-2024, 12:51 PM   #141
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTonge View Post
I'd have to disagree with this. I think the "lean" pose makes sense, given the intensity of the wind he's facing.

Your example of saying he looks unstable is the equivalent to someone examining a still frame of someone running and showing no feet in contact with the ground.
The later batches they did when they went back and finished off the ES had a more noticeable lean. I got one from that later run and it did indeed have a more pronounced lean than the earlier run.

It made me kind of nervous at the time. I long since sold that off, but I have never heard about it having any issues/falling, so it was merely cosmetic difference.

After seeing those new heads I am thinking of telling the family we just have to stay home for the weekend so I can get a new toy.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 01:04 PM   #142
qz33
Baron Zemo

Quote:
I'd have to disagree with this. I think the "lean" pose makes sense, given the intensity of the wind he's facing.

Your example of saying he looks unstable is the equivalent to someone examining a still frame of someone running and showing no feet in contact with the ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
The later batches they did when they went back and finished off the ES had a more noticeable lean. I got one from that later run and it did indeed have a more pronounced lean than the earlier run.

It made me kind of nervous at the time. I long since sold that off, but I have never heard about it having any issues/falling, so it was merely cosmetic difference.

After seeing those new heads I am thinking of telling the family we just have to stay home for the weekend so I can get a new toy.

Yeah I have a later one too Gary and what he is talking about is a defect. The whole figure is slightly off kilter to the base not in any intended way. Seen videos and auctions that are not the same way even some sellers bring it up.

It is not bad, especially considering how lucky it was to get one at retail after it was selling for $1,800+ but the lean is definitely still there. Some earlier numbered ones have it too so I think it was a particular set of molds and they used them more exclusively for the final batch.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 01:17 PM   #143
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:

Nobody leans into the wind like that, and if it was powerful enough to hold his body up his cape would be flapping much more wildly. The amount of wind pressure to hold someone up right would make walking like that impossible from the side anyway, you would need at least turn a leg into the wind or facing it.

Owners can convince themselves all they want but it's not in the slightest bit accurate, it looks off, and it's clearly not meant to be that way (the same picture of the statue on the box is standing upright). You can like it if you want, you can convince yourself you think it's accurate if you want, but this is just factually not be possible for person walking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Yeah I have a later one too Gary and what he is talking about is a defect. The whole figure is slightly off kilter to the base not in any intended way. Seen videos and auctions that are not the same way even some sellers bring it up.

It is not bad, especially considering how lucky it was to get one at retail after it was selling for $1,800+ but the lean is definitely still there. Some earlier numbered ones have it too so I think it was a particular set of molds and they used them more exclusively for the final batch.
As I said a lot of the Mythos had issues, especially with warping.
dao2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 02:48 PM   #144
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
Nobody leans into the wind like that, and if it was powerful enough to hold his body up his cape would be flapping much more wildly. The amount of wind pressure to hold someone up right would make walking like that impossible from the side anyway, you would need at least turn a leg into the wind or facing it.

Owners can convince themselves all they want but it's not in the slightest bit accurate, it looks off, and it's clearly not meant to be that way (the same picture of the statue on the box is standing upright). You can like it if you want, you can convince yourself you think it's accurate if you want, but this is just factually not be possible for person walking.

As I said a lot of the Mythos had issues, especially with warping.
I do prefer it to the prototype actually. It's got that classic Sideshow "dynamic" lean.

The ergonomics of the pose works, artistically and functionally. In my opinion, he's pushing into the wind, the wind isn't hold him up. You can disagree all you want, but I won't be dragged into a keyboard warrior spat about it. lol
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 04:23 PM   #145
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
I do prefer it to the prototype actually. It's got that classic Sideshow "dynamic" lean.

The ergonomics of the pose works, artistically and functionally. In my opinion, he's pushing into the wind, the wind isn't hold him up. You can disagree all you want, but I won't be dragged into a keyboard warrior spat about it. lol
None of them matched what was on the box. I think there is some confusion there. There was the leaning into the wind version and the REALLY leaning into the wind version that some people got, especially the later batch conversions. None of them were upright the way they first showed it but some had a concerning level of lean. Years later that hasnt appeared to be an issue.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 06:14 PM   #146
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
From Sideshow WonderCon panel.

Great looking portraits.

Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 07:34 PM   #147
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:

We're gonna need a doctor to explain how "pushing" works when you're leaning on your ankles sideways then also professors of physics and aerodynamics to explain how his 100+ lb body and gear are not carrying him away and his coat just barely flapping.

Don't worry if human science can't explain it we can say it's the force pushing him, and then also using the force to just make his cape flowing in the wind majestically cause he thought it would look more aesthetic to the sand people watching :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indomitus View Post
Great looking portraits.

They are great, not sure if they can beat out the OG one though. Be nice to have it in 1/4 though.
dao2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:05 PM   #148
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
We're gonna need a doctor to explain how "pushing" works when you're leaning on your ankles sideways then also professors of physics and aerodynamics to explain how his 100+ lb body and gear are not carrying him away and his coat just barely flapping.

Don't worry if human science can't explain it we can say it's the force pushing him, and then also using the force to just make his cape flowing in the wind majestically cause he thought it would look more aesthetic to the sand people watching :P

They are great, not sure if they can beat out the OG one though. Be nice to have it in 1/4 though.
Whatever you want to tell yourself!
Old 04-01-2024, 09:24 PM   #149
qz33
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Whatever you want to tell yourself!
Gary does yours lean? You have this right?
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 09:39 PM   #150
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Gary does yours lean? You have this right?
I have it in a box somewhere. 😆