Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 01-06-2015, 03:54 PM   #1
bigdaddyvenom
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Lee Bermejo's B&W Joker

Can someone explain to me why this piece commands so much on the aftermarket? Was there a smaller amount produced? It's a nice piece but I can't understand why so much....this is the only piece I need but at the prices right now, I'm never getting one...any info would be greatly appreciated.
bigdaddyvenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:43 PM   #2
ambasah
Red Skull

it was available for retail for a long time after it was released. but as he slowly sold out and more and more b&w collectors got into the hobby...

but I am sure a revisit will be here sooner than later, if you don't mind a white base.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:06 PM   #3
rykerw1701
Justice League

I had this piece, and liked it. But then the prices went nuts and I didn't like it that much, so off to Argentina it went. I would be very hard pressed to justify it being a $300 statue.

And I agree with ambasah, it'll be back around on a white base sooner than later.
rykerw1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #4
gomur
The Tick

The Bermejo Joker is a fantastic piece full of motion and detail. The coat alone is so expertly crafted. And this statue looks even better paired with the Bermejo Batman. I think this statue capturing so much of the Heath Ledger movie Joker personality helped it to sell out and gain its after-market reputation.

Is it worth the $300 after-market? Hard to say. There are other B&W statues going for $250 that I don't find HALF as appealing. It's very subjective how much we value items. And how much we're willing/able to spend on them. Personally, I'd say it's worth it but none of these statues should ever go beyond the $300 mark.

If you've already incorporated re-releases (white bases) into your collection, then I'm sure this one will get the treatment eventually.

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_050411a.htm
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:25 PM   #5
Xtreme2280
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Got him when he was first released as a Christmas present. That was the first status that got me on this road of collecting. Never thought he'd get that expensive
Xtreme2280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #6
Drahmin
Kindly Asked To Leave

Wow.....when it was first released it retailed at $70-80 and it's now going for $500??? Crazy.

However I do strongly recommend the Lee Bermejo's Joker comic book thought. Easily the best Joker comic to come out since the 'Killing Joke'.
Drahmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:05 PM   #7
ambasah
Red Skull

this can be had for $250-$300. I would never pay that much personally.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:54 PM   #8
bigdaddyvenom

I still feel that is too much for this piece. Looks like 7,000 were made......no reason for this piece to be so much on the aftermarket in my opinion but what do I know
Old 01-07-2015, 03:09 PM   #9
BrandonJF
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyvenom View Post
I still fee that is too much for this piece. Looks like 7,000 were made......no reason for this piece to be so much on the aftermarket in my opinion but what do I know
Just because DCD set an ES of 7,000 doesn't mean 7,000 were made. Like you said, if there were 7,000 of these out there there is no way it would be selling for so much on Ebay.

I remember the first Cover Girls Harley statue having an 8,000 ES and almost instantly seeing a price jump after release. No way.

I've assumed that they set a high ES and if they want to go back and do a second run (and they have before and I'm not referring to these recent re-issues) they can.
BrandonJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:52 PM   #10
bigdaddyvenom

That would make sense, if not all 7,000 has already been produced....I have the other 4 B & W Joker's but I can't complete my set because this one sells for an astronomical price....here's to hoping for a 2nd edition