Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Customs Corner

Old 06-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #1
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Sideshow Superman PF customization thread

howdy all,
figured i would start a Superman PF customization thread to show my Superman's custom cloth cape im making for it.
but please feel free to post your customizations here as well if in fact anyone of you are planning on doing any.

so here is Superman with his cloth cape. i haven't cut it to its final shape. so its longer than what it will actually be. i just placed the material on him. but it will give you an idea of what it will look like.
and the way i have it attached is that its just placed under his head. the head is whats holding it on. and thats how it will be held on for the final cape. the way they made the head to fit on the statue was perfect for this customization. for the precision of the edge of the neck lines up perfectly to the blue costume. so no need for a custom piece to hold the cape on like for the Batman PF.
so for those of you who like or prefer the looks of a cloth cape for your Superman PF. its a real simple solution to have it done.
the material im using is kind of like a spandex material made with a similar material as his costume but not as stretchy. which you can find at any fabric store.
and its very thin. i have it doubled up but falls perfectly like this. and the the colors match extremely well as you can see.

i took a few photos with different lighting and angles. and a different look of the cape.
the first photos is with the cape placed on him to where it falls straight back to where the other images are where the cape flows down around his shoulders more.

ill post more images as soon as the cape is finalized.
hope you all like how it will potentially look.
as always comments and critiques are welcome.

DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

awesome. A wired cape would be really nice. The strait down look is cool, but it would be fun to be able to pose it if you wanted.
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #3
DynamicMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanesg View Post
awesome. A wired cape would be really nice. The strait down look is cool, but it would be fun to be able to pose it if you wanted.
thanks bud,
yeah you could wire it if you wanted to.
but i prefer the flowing straight down look more than anything.
plus the wires tend to take away from the natural flow of the fabric. the fabric and leather im using for the capes is very fine/thin. so it acts and falls like a fabric would if it was on a life size person.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:18 PM   #4
SONICobra
Batman

that looks great bro, youre quite the whiz kid when it comes to mixed media / fabric
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:03 AM   #5
punisher2000
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

nice one. i like the direction of viewing and head position. i did my first own head this days and knowing how much work this is. great job.

btw: good to see you got same ----ty photo cam like me bro -haha-
punisher2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:14 AM   #6
Joppula
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Hey DM,

Stunning work. You've really executed this look perfectly! As far as cloth capes go, it doesn't get much better than this!

Nice job.

Having said that, I really prefer the sculpted cape. I just love the epic nature of the sculpted flow.

I also like the regal bulk the sculpted cape adds to his shoulders. Where a fabric cape just rests slightly flat.

But that's just my preference. And if a cloth cape is your preferred look, you've done a beautiful job.

Joppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #7
DynamicMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
that looks great bro, youre quite the whiz kid when it comes to mixed media / fabric
thanks man. this one was a pretty simple job though. the precision of the head or neck line made it easy peasy. all i did was put the fabric under the head. the real trick is to cut the fabric to the correct shape for the cape. hopefully i can pull it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher2000 View Post
nice one. i like the direction of viewing and head position. i did my first own head this days and knowing how much work this is. great job.

btw: good to see you got same ----ty photo cam like me bro -haha-
thank you. i like both heads. but the forward position of the head in the image i do liek best. and ill like it even more once the customization is done on it and the other head.

yeah, its weird. my phone will take great close up pics. but the further away you get the crappier the photo is..lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppula View Post
Hey DM,

Stunning work. You've really executed this look perfectly! As far as cloth capes go, it doesn't get much better than this!

Nice job.

Having said that, I really prefer the sculpted cape. I just love the epic nature of the sculpted flow.

I also like the regal bulk the sculpted cape adds to his shoulders. Where a fabric cape just rests slightly flat.

But that's just my preference. And if a cloth cape is your preferred look, you've done a beautiful job.

thanks for the compliment man.
yeah i prefer the fabric cape over the sculpted one for the sense of realism the fabric cape gives the piece over all.

i hear what your saying about the sculpted cape but to me its too bulky and unnatural. if you look at Superman images (film versions) you'll see that the cape isn't all that bulky on the shoulders. even in most of the comic images the cape isn't that bulky on them. but some are.
and yeah it all boils down to preference. which is cool. both look good.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:59 PM   #8
skorpsta
Ghost

wow i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
skorpsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:31 AM   #9
Joppula
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicMenace View Post
thanks man. this one was a pretty simple job though. the precision of the head or neck line made it easy peasy. all i did was put the fabric under the head. the real trick is to cut the fabric to the correct shape for the cape. hopefully i can pull it off.

thank you. i like both heads. but the forward position of the head in the image i do liek best. and ill like it even more once the customization is done on it and the other head.

yeah, its weird. my phone will take great close up pics. but the further away you get the crappier the photo is..lol

thanks for the compliment man.
yeah i prefer the fabric cape over the sculpted one for the sense of realism the fabric cape gives the piece over all.

i hear what your saying about the sculpted cape but to me its too bulky and unnatural. if you look at Superman images (film versions) you'll see that the cape isn't all that bulky on the shoulders. even in most of the comic images the cape isn't that bulky on them. but some are.
and yeah it all boils down to preference. which is cool. both look good.
I agree, it definitely adds a sense of realism. But that's why I wanted the Comic Version lol.

But SS obviously agrees with you. Because their "Film Version" PFs are both getting fabric capes.

Anyway, I really like what you've done here. Your craftsmanship is spot-on, regardless to preference.
Joppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #10
DynamicMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpsta View Post
wow i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thank you Rob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppula View Post
I agree, it definitely adds a sense of realism. But that's why I wanted the Comic Version lol.

But SS obviously agrees with you. Because their "Film Version" PFs are both getting fabric capes.

Anyway, I really like what you've done here. Your craftsmanship is spot-on, regardless to preference.
yeah you could be right. maybe so. thanks again man. appreciate the kind words .