Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 05-07-2017, 07:16 PM   #1
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

GG 2.0 or 3.0 Version Mini-Busts

Hey I just wanted to know what you guys think of GG making new releases to older/dated mini-busts. I realize that GG has already done a few newer mini-bust releases to some of their older ones, but I feel that a lot of them still missed the mark and aren't really considered an upgrade to a dated piece. At least to me they aren't. I've noticed that some of their older MBs which don't really require a version 2.0 sometimes have weak paint apps and could use a new release, because nowadays, GG's paint apps to their newer released mini-busts seem much, much better and cleaner out of the box.

I'm wondering because I recently picked up a few mini-busts and when I compare them to their previous releases, either in-hand, or in pictures, they seem like a definitive upgrade. An example is the recent PGM Scout Trooper. I know a lot of collectors still like the older one, but I feel like the newer PGM is the one to own if one had to choose. It's bigger, it's painted better (weathered), and he's less yellow'd than the older one.

Another example is the TIE Pilot MB. Well all know the older one has a giraffe neck and looks weird from a lot of angles because of it. Now there's the newer classic TIE Pilot bust, only this time, his sculpt is clearly better. By clearly, I mean a ton more accurate. I feel the paint app is better on the classic too. The only thing that sucks is Gentle Giant made it into an armless classic. So now I feel like they need to release a 3.0 version, only this time with arms.

Now there's some out there that I won't get or even don't want at all, because I feel that GG can do so much better sculpt-wise. None of the Vader MBs appeal to me. The 2013 Deluxe Fett does nothing for me because the sculpt of his helmet is so far off and his hands are long as hell coming out of his gauntlets. The best Fett they've made so far (the definite Fett MB sculpt) is the Prototype Armored Fett. Everything about that sculpt and pose is perfect; however, it's the white prototype armor and not the Fett we're all used to seeing. So again, I feel that a 3.0 Fett should be talked about.

Back to Vader...why hasn't GG done a Vader MB like this??...in this exact pose?? They could nail it. Their 3D sculpting is getting better and better...

Everything about that picture screams Vader 3.0 or even 4.0. For God's sake GG, make a Vader MB just like the one in the picture...without a damn lightsaber in his hand. Anyway, those are just some examples. I know collectors like to see characters that haven't been done before and I can't blame them, but even for the popular characters that've been done a few times over, GG still hasn't nailed or released the definitive MB for a lot of them. Anyone have any more examples? Would anyone even like to see 2.0/3.0 versions? Better versions of past characters that need revisiting?
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:33 PM   #2
bradjk1
Fantastic Four

Yes, I would 100% buy 2.0 or 3.0 versions of the main characters. The Obi Wan mini bust is the main reason I ordered the PGM membership this year.
bradjk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:28 AM   #3
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

So no one else thinks that some of these MBs need a revisit? They've done so many Leia and Solo versions and I feel that they still can't get those just right. Yavin Leia needs to be fixed before it's even released. ESB Calrissian should have a 2.0 version by now.
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I would be down for it, but I guess it's all a matter of time and sales. Not to mention the fact that they have more and more films to work with each year. I'm sure we'll be getting updates to the core characters though. Just give it time.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:45 AM   #5
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Given how many characters there are in the SW Universe I'd rather see them focus on new characters. That said revisiting the very first MBs that came out sans arms would be welcome. Namely Zam Wessel and Padme Amidala.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:43 PM   #6
FastballSpecial
Teen Titans

Their newer items blow away the old stuff. Look at farm boy Luke compared to the latest releases.

I'm glad they are making new versions of some like ANH Obi Wan.

This year really brought be back to Gentle Giant as I was losing hope for decent mini bust releases.
FastballSpecial is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:05 PM   #7
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastballSpecial View Post
Their newer items blow away the old stuff. Look at farm boy Luke compared to the latest releases.

I'm glad they are making new versions of some like ANH Obi Wan.

This year really brought be back to Gentle Giant as I was losing hope for decent mini bust releases.
The quality between the new and old MB's varies greatly depending on which specific pieces you're comparing. Counter point to this argument - some of the older pieces hold their own and still beat the newer versions. Newer doesn't always equate to better. Case in point the original Vader and Fett MB's are still better than later offerings. Of course this is all subjective. Count me as one of those that prefers the original Ben Kenobi MB to this newer one. My reasoning is based mostly on the design choice as I like how he's holding/concealing his Lightsaber. Very fitting for his character and I don't need every Jedi brandishing an lit saber.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:19 PM   #8
FastballSpecial
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
The quality between the new and old MB's varies greatly depending on which specific pieces you're comparing. Counter point to this argument - some of the older pieces hold their own and still beat the newer versions. Newer doesn't always equate to better. Case in point the original Vader and Fett MB's are still better than later offerings. Of course this is all subjective. Count me as one of those that prefers the original Ben Kenobi MB to this newer one. My reasoning is based mostly on the design choice as I like how he's holding/concealing his Lightsaber. Very fitting for his character and I don't need every Jedi brandishing an lit saber.
Some of the earlier MB's are a bit undersized. I do like their ESB Vader and Fett but I prefer the ROTJ Fett and that's the one I have. I also wanted Kenobi to be holding his lightsaber ignited. I just prefer them like that.

But it's true some of the Early ones are good and some arent. Just depends on which character.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:48 PM   #9
JuliusMarx
Gentle Giant
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastballSpecial View Post
I also wanted Kenobi to be holding his lightsaber ignited. I just prefer them like that.
Then check out our 2017 Premier Guild exclusives!

D.
JuliusMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:45 PM   #10
FastballSpecial
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusMarx View Post
Then check out our 2017 Premier Guild exclusives!

D.
Already selected as one of my PGM gifts! (Just hoping that it's captured on your side since I can't see it when I log in.)