Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-25-2017, 04:29 AM   #351
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I actually enjoyed this film a lot. Sure it wasn't Alien/Aliens quality, but it was pretty fun. I have to say I think writers are getting dumber though. Audiences too, when we were sitting in the cinema it was clear as day that David had replaced Walter, but audiences literally were shocked when it was revealed....

More Prometheus level logic though: "I know you're a sneaky, borderline insane synthetic David, but if you say I can stick my head in this egg then sure..."

Also the pure stupidity of going down to a planet that you haven't scanned properly because of the ion storms and not having Hazmat suits...Jesus.

Daniels said it best: it took a million to one shot to find Origae 6, a planet in an infinite number of planets that could support human life perfectly. But Crudup was so desperate to get off ship and away from responsibility that he avoided all safety protocols and just went skipping through an alien planet.

Also, has no one seen a movie in the realities in which these films are set? If there are two clones, and they fight out of your view, you do some basic checks to make sure the right one won.

Still enjoyed it though, stupid as it was in places.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:53 AM   #352
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Well said Rich....also to add a few things:

1. The xenomorph growth rate
2. Face Huggers planting a embryo in mere seconds
3. Chest burster fully developed signalling a made field goal
4. The security members lack of skill and weaponry
5. The black goo bombing, why weren't there thousands of neomorphs
6. The return to the Convenant, remaining crew seemed fine with friends and loved all dead
7. Was there a quarantine/Contamination protocol...all aboard!
8. Why would the zeno kill so much when it could have cocooned more ppl with the remaining eggs?
9. Why wasn't the crew informed of Walter's capabilities
10. What year is it? John Denver?
11. The woman who got her head bit off. "Go on alone, there missy" With those things running around.
12. Androids grow hair?
13. Shaw's body preserved that well after 10 years
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:01 AM   #353
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
I'd actually say that NO opinion can be correct, it's an opinion. If it was true it would be a statement of fact.
That's part of my point. So many state their opinions as fact.

Back on topic; I have to say that you and Vecchio bring up some excellent points. There were similar complaints about logic with Prometheus but I find these are much more difficult to defend/rationalise.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:56 AM   #354
RichBamf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio1 View Post
Well said Rich....also to add a few things:

1. The xenomorph growth rate
2. Face Huggers planting a embryo in mere seconds
3. Chest burster fully developed signalling a made field goal
4. The security members lack of skill and weaponry
5. The black goo bombing, why weren't there thousands of neomorphs
6. The return to the Convenant, remaining crew seemed fine with friends and loved all dead
7. Was there a quarantine/Contamination protocol...all aboard!
8. Why would the zeno kill so much when it could have cocooned more ppl with the remaining eggs?
9. Why wasn't the crew informed of Walter's capabilities
10. What year is it? John Denver?
11. The woman who got her head bit off. "Go on alone, there missy" With those things running around.
12. Androids grow hair?
13. Shaw's body preserved that well after 10 years

The other things I have absolutely no explanation for. I mean maybe the preservation of Shaw and the embryo growth rates could be explained away with the the typical hand wave of 'future science'.

The Xenomorph killing indiscriminately though is exactly what the one in Alien did. My reasoning is that if there isn't a Queen present, then a soldier will just kill until there is nothing left to kill.

It's an odd way for a species to be, even the top predators on the food chain wouldn't destroy their own food sources. It's a problem I've always had with Alien as a franchise.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:56 AM   #355
RichBamf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post

Back on topic; I have to say that you and Vecchio bring up some excellent points. There were similar complaints about logic with Prometheus but I find these are much more difficult to defend/rationalise.
I know, was backing your comment up
Old 05-25-2017, 11:13 AM   #356
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
I know, was backing your comment up
Ah, my bad. I misinterpreted your comment.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #357
RichBamf

Quote:
Ah, my bad. I misinterpreted your comment.
Don't worry buddy, easy mistake to make on here.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:31 AM   #358
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
I thought your point from a prior post is that some subjective opinions actually are flat out wrong. If you believe that no opinion is universally right or wrong, even if it's true to the person holding the opinion, then we're on the same page.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:37 AM   #359
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I thought your point from a prior post is that some subjective opinions actually are flat out wrong. If you believe that no opinion is universally right or wrong, even if it's true to the person holding the opinion, then we're on the same page.
They're wrong when they are stated or shared as fact. The problem with the approach of just accepting "everyone is entitled to their opinion" is that so many express their opinions as if they're infallible.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:40 AM   #360
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
I actually enjoyed this film a lot. Sure it wasn't Alien/Aliens quality, but it was pretty fun. I have to say I think writers are getting dumber though. Audiences too, when we were sitting in the cinema it was clear as day that David had replaced Walter, but audiences literally were shocked when it was revealed....

More Prometheus level logic though: "I know you're a sneaky, borderline insane synthetic David, but if you say I can stick my head in this egg then sure..."

Also the pure stupidity of going down to a planet that you haven't scanned properly because of the ion storms and not having Hazmat suits...Jesus.

Daniels said it best: it took a million to one shot to find Origae 6, a planet in an infinite number of planets that could support human life perfectly. But Crudup was so desperate to get off ship and away from responsibility that he avoided all safety protocols and just went skipping through an alien planet.

Also, has no one seen a movie in the realities in which these films are set? If there are two clones, and they fight out of your view, you do some basic checks to make sure the right one won.

Still enjoyed it though, stupid as it was in places.
Excellent points here Rich! "Prometheus level logic" is rightly worded.

The David/Walter switch up at the end was pretty obvious to me from the onset.

It can be very frustrating when you witness this stupidity unfold. Makes you wonder what everyone was smoking in the writer's room, or were they just kissing Ridley's ass and pandering to his every whim without challenging his plot points.

Damon Lindeloff (writer from Prometheus) has a fascinating essay on his meeting with Ridley and how Prometheus' script writing came about. It's almost Prince (the musician) like in it's eccentric telling.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote