Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #361
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
They're wrong when they are stated or shared as fact. The problem with the approach of just accepting "everyone is entitled to their opinion" is that so many express their opinions as if they're infallible.
Now I think we're getting into semantics. I agree that an opinion is invalid, due to lack of information to support it. And thinking an opinion is fact or the person holding it is infallible is ridiculous as two people can see the same movie and come away with different impressions, based on their sensibilities. Hence, my prior points about not liking either this movie or GOTG2, but being glad and perfectly accepting that others do.

So, again, I think we're closer to being on the same page.

Last edited by wktf; 05-25-2017 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Gaaa...more iPhone auto correct nonesense!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:47 AM   #362
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky Panky View Post
Excellent points here Rich! "Prometheus level logic" is rightly worded.

The David/Walter switch up at the end was pretty obvious to me from the onset.

It can be very frustrating when you witness this stupidity unfold. Makes you wonder what everyone was smoking in the writer's room, or were they just kissing Ridley's ass and pandering to his every whim without challenging his plot points.

Damon Lindeloff (writer from Prometheus) has a fascinating essay on his meeting with Ridley and how Prometheus' script writing came about. It's almost Prince (the musician) like in it's eccentric telling.
Thanks buddy. I'll look into that!

It's why the job of a focus group is so important. Some of the decisions Hollywood makes in their storytelling is just astounding.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:22 PM   #363
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
The other things I have absolutely no explanation for. I mean maybe the preservation of Shaw and the embryo growth rates could be explained away with the the typical hand wave of 'future science'.

The Xenomorph killing indiscriminately though is exactly what the one in Alien did. My reasoning is that if there isn't a Queen present, then a soldier will just kill until there is nothing left to kill.

It's an odd way for a species to be, even the top predators on the food chain wouldn't destroy their own food sources. It's a problem I've always had with Alien as a franchise.
Indeed, lots of head scratching. In the directors cut of the original, the zeno left 2 crew members alive. Looked like it was turning them into eggs or something. Ridley needs a time machine! I'm very curious what kind of box office this pulls in it's 2nd week.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:53 PM   #364
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Yeah, they'll have to step up the writing if they want to bring the franchise back to its former glory. Solid outings so far, but... I mean when the captain stood over that egg...I mean seriously. Let me get a closer look.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:03 PM   #365
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
The other things I have absolutely no explanation for. I mean maybe the preservation of Shaw and the embryo growth rates could be explained away with the the typical hand wave of 'future science'.

The Xenomorph killing indiscriminately though is exactly what the one in Alien did. My reasoning is that if there isn't a Queen present, then a soldier will just kill until there is nothing left to kill.

It's an odd way for a species to be, even the top predators on the food chain wouldn't destroy their own food sources. It's a problem I've always had with Alien as a franchise.
Well, let's be fair, we've never seen an Xenomorph eat, as a matter of fact we have no idea what their food source is. So if they don't consider us food, just an invader to their territory or possible host bodies, then if there was no Queen available they would kill indiscriminately until the invaders were gone.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote