Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 06-27-2017, 08:28 AM   #3951
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

The phrase "nowhere close to the proto" is what gets me, because they are in fact pretty close.
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:39 AM   #3952
addic
The X-Men

No, unfortunately they aren't. The new Red Sonja, for example, is close to the proto. Raiden in fact is close to the proto. Or to name an older piece the Sideshow Nathan Drake PF is pretty close to the proto. But no, these two guys definitely aren't.

EDIT: 1/3 Akuma - close to the proto. Blanka - close to the proto. Etc.
addic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:43 AM   #3953
DeadGhostKnight
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by addic View Post
No, unfortunately they aren't. The new Red Sonja, for example, is close to the proto. Raiden in fact is close to the proto. Or to name an older piece the Sideshow Nathan Drake PF is pretty close to the proto. But no, these two guys definitely aren't.

I would say Red Sonja and Raiden are about as close to proto as these two are.

Around 85-90%.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:48 AM   #3954
addic
The X-Men

Owning all of these myself I have to strongly disagree.

But well.. it's your opinion, of course.
addic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:03 AM   #3955
Atimantium
Hydra

The ninjas are at 70-75%.
The fabric is wrong on the tabard, mask and balaclava.
Also there is an argument for the shape of the heads although that is up for debate. The fabric is not a debate. You might prefer it or whatever but it is different from the prototype.
Changing the fabric on the tabard and mask brings these up to 85-90% arguably. There is no lack of quality on the rest of the statue. This has always been a fabric issue. Issue is resolved with this custom.
Atimantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:06 AM   #3956
DeadGhostKnight
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atimantium View Post
The ninjas are at 70-75%.
The fabric is wrong on the tabard, mask and balaclava.
Also there is an argument for the shape of the heads although that is up for debate. The fabric is not a debate. You might prefer it or whatever but it is different from the prototype.
Changing the fabric on the tabard and mask brings these up to 85-90% arguably. There is no lack of quality on the rest of the statue. This has always been a fabric issue. Issue is resolved with this custom.
But the custom looks nothing like the proto either....
Old 06-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #3957
ryuhayabusa6787
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post
I would say Red Sonja and Raiden are about as close to proto as these two are.

Around 85-90%.
Raidens teeth, fabric and lack of details on the face is NOWHERE close to Proto. (Light up feature best in the business imo companies should take notes that's how you do a light up feature)

Red Sonia's skin tone is no where close to proto. Nor is the base.

The fact that red Sonja isn't sold out as that was the talk of the town and one of the most highly anticipated pieces in a long time from any company speaks volumes of what production came to be vs proto.

Honestly I think the ninjas are 100% manufactured body wise as proto yes even the head but factory didn't follow instructions on mixed media and mixed media advertised is that of inferior quality to proto.
ryuhayabusa6787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:28 AM   #3958
Atimantium
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post
But the custom looks nothing like the proto either....
So you're saying neither look like the proto?

The person making the custom preferred this cut. There will be other customs he makes that will be cut like proto so I'm speaking of that.
Atimantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #3959
Old Snake
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuhayabusa6787 View Post
Raidens teeth, fabric and lack of details on the face is NOWHERE close to Proto. (Light up feature best in the business imo companies should take notes that's how you do a light up feature)
the factory sculpted its own teeth, I think without notifying Jerry (his comment was vague on WHO resculpted the teeth but the originals were trashed, that is certain). I asked Jerry twice to clear this up, since that ruins the artistic integrity of Mr. Rilley's Raiden. Face detail was lost too as you said.

Edit, here's the post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopCultureShock View Post
he is coming along. The teeth got messed up and that put a pause on things while they were resculpted.

Frankly I think the factory lost the original teeth casts and tried to resculpt them on their own and not tell me. When I saw the samples everything was great except for the teeth...

So i insisted they stop and we had to re-do the teeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toulon89 View Post
Now that someone pointed it out...

Why is the head sculpt completely different? I know Jerry said the original factory lost the teeth sculpt but...

Look at the bottom lip, the most obvious change. It's not "pointed" as much as the proto. His overall face is missing a bunch of wrinkles and his eyes as well.

I'll get someone to take a pic of this as if they're looking up at the statue...since the photography could be playing tricks.
Old Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:49 AM   #3960
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by addic View Post

The new Red Sonja couldn't be further from the original proto :P You are off your rocker ^^ Literally all skin detail was lost, all folds and crevices in both the skin and armor also got way shallower. It's still a really good statue, but it is absolutely nothing like the quality of the prototype.
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote