Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-13-2018, 09:43 PM   #971
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
- The Resistance is greatly reduced in numbers.
- Ben's final push towards the dark side was revealed.
- Snoke is dead.
- Kylo Ren is the new Supreme Leader.
- Rey better understands her purpose.
- Luke Skywalker is dead but not before giving rise to hope once more.

Yep, the story hasn't advanced one bit. Snoke is still in charge, Luke is going to train Rey, Finn is on life support and Maz Kanata is still going to hook up with Chewie for a tantalizing sex scene in the sequel.
Maybe baby steps at best.... After two movies were just basically back to square one with a very small group of rebels vs the Empire... sound familiar? Of course it's no longer the "Empire" but "The First Order" but same thing.

Snoke was pointless in the story, you might as well just had Kylo in charge the whole time... Luke never trained Rey because Rey was a Jedi Master from day one.. Finn, other then freeing Poe from the First Order is a completely pointless character in the second movie, the same with Captain Phasma....
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:26 PM   #972
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Maybe baby steps at best.... After two movies were just basically back to square one with a very small group of rebels vs the Empire... sound familiar? Of course it's no longer the "Empire" but "The First Order" but same thing.

Snoke was pointless in the story, you might as well just had Kylo in charge the whole time... Luke never trained Rey because Rey was a Jedi Master from day one.. Finn, other then freeing Poe from the First Order is a completely pointless character in the second movie, the same with Captain Phasma....
Rationalize it however you want. It doesn't change the fact that big plot points established in The Force Awakens have dramatically changed or concluded. Just because someone doesn't agree with where those plot points went doesn't magically negate that they happened.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:25 PM   #973
built2shred
Phoenix

We learned nothing about Rey other then she's a master jedi already, oh and she can teleport herself, like she did when she magically appeared on the Millennium Falcon at the end..
We learned nothing about Finn
We learned nothing about Snoke
We learned nothing about Phasam
I still don't know who the $*#( the purple hair chick was
Learned very little about Kylo other then he's a mommy's boy
Learned Luke is a self pitying cry baby
Learned Leia can hold her breath really long
Learned that Mon Calamari can't swim in space (RIP Ackbar)

I hardly call those big plot points....
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:31 PM   #974
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

I don't even accept this trilogy as canon. I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:35 PM   #975
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
We learned nothing about Rey other then she's a master jedi already, oh and she can teleport herself, like she did when she magically appeared on the Millennium Falcon at the end..

So because you didn't get your personal questions (IMO inconsequential ones) answered the film made no progress? Ok..
Old 04-14-2018, 12:48 AM   #976
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:

Did we actually SEE Ackbar's dead corpse? He COULD still be alive, just floating in space...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
I don't even accept this trilogy as canon. I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Amen brother!
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #977
Python
Omega Red

Quote:

This made me chuckle...

I still can't believe they did that, it was pointless as they didn't even really establish he was there. Given his popularity, It could have been an emotional point in the movie handled in the correct manner. But no, just a brief mention that he was on the bridge which exploded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
Did we actually SEE Ackbar's dead corpse? He COULD still be alive, just floating in space...

JJ clearly has a lot to correct in the next movie as he's been left with a very poor hand. The issue with this is that it would likely now be seen as a cop out if he does this. Although I suspect many people are willing to forget TLJ altogether so might forgive him for doing so. If TLJ did anything, it made me appreciate that TFA wasn't too bad after all....
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:40 AM   #978
Luminous
Cyclops

It's amazing to me how many people felt slighted by how Ackbar was handled. The guy has less than 3 minutes of screen time throughout all the films, has no relationships, shares no personal goals or motivations, and people wanted a send off with some "emotional depth"? I'm in the Twilight Zone.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:04 PM   #979
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
It's amazing to me how many people felt slighted by how Ackbar was handled. The guy has less than 3 minutes of screen time throughout all the films, has no relationships, shares no personal goals or motivations, and people wanted a send off with some "emotional depth"? I'm in the Twilight Zone.

And yet he has arguably the second most known/quoted line of dialogue from the entire franchise, and a rich Legends history (might not be canon any longer, but it all adds to his fan following) Screen time isn't everything. The point is that whether you like him or not, he is a well known and well liked character, and this movie just backhanded him. But it did that to Luke also so.....
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:23 PM   #980
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
And yet he has arguably the second most known/quoted line of dialogue from the entire franchise, and a rich Legends history (might not be canon any longer, but it all adds to his fan following) Screen time isn't everything. The point is that whether you like him or not, he is a well known and well liked character, and this movie just backhanded him. But it did that to Luke also so.....
He is well known because he looks like a talking squid, sounds funny, and has been around for over 40 years. None of that justifies some ceremonial or emotional send off. But you're right. The writers should have spent more time writing some grand exit for the squid guy that has no personal relationship to anyone in the films.