Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2013, 12:00 AM   #11
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnShinNoi View Post
It's not worth the risk. If there were an outbreak of riots related to Jabba's Palace (which I consider a possibility based on ever increasing social media and past events) and people died, that would be extremely bad press for LEGO.
but when the heck do they draw the line, when they see that their insane scare tactics work on every little thing they are never going to grow up as a people crawl out of the dark ages and actually try and civilize themselves
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:00 AM   #12
Batwing
Cobra Command

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
I find your comment offensive to Dolphins . . . please withdraw it

Actually, I don't think this one had been released yet. So it was pre-emptive offense they took.
And I find this comment offensive to Catholics who practise family planning.
Batwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #13
Batwing
Cobra Command

This Lego set is anti-old ladies with machine guns. I find it offensive.
Batwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #14
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post

Actually Nick this one came out late last year. There's two sitting on a shelf at the Target near me which I'm now seriously considering going and getting
Well I stand corrected Rod

The impression I got from the article was that the set won't be out until next year, but maybe that was a scheduled middle eastern release date ? Anyway, I'd grab both sets . . . some of these Lego SW kits go for massive $$$ on ebay

There was also an interesting comment from artist Ron Cobb (who worked on the conceptual art and production design of the BTTF Delorean, Alien, Dune and Star Wars). He commented that:

"giving these imaginary designs a sense of reality required an intimate knowledge of historical design"

He also expressed concern that religious groups (of any denomination) "superficially take umbrage at the slightest oppurtunity" but he understood Lego's decision to withdraw the toy and also said "Sometimes it's not worth antagonising people . . . but it worries me that every little bit of creativity lost, you never get back - it's not good when people don't allow for free range of thought"
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:16 AM   #15
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batwing View Post

This Lego set is anti-old ladies with machine guns. I find it offensive.
Oddjob FTW~
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #16
Teague
Iron Man

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

And yeah, I'm seriously thinking about getting one now.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #17
adee
Green Arrow

As a geek I'm offended by their offensive.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #18
bat_collector
Galactus

Umm, the media got it wrong. Lego is not withdrawing it, its from last year's assortments, and they are already on 2013 assortments. They don't indefinately release products. The Darth Maul logo is 2012, and the only sets they are releasing now have the Yoda logo.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ce-claims.html

But hey, all publicity is good publicity. I'm sure these sets were snatched up all over the US and the world due to flippers.

Last edited by bat_collector; 04-04-2013 at 12:03 PM.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #19
dr_teng

It's a dumb story that the media blew out of proportion, as usual. People on various LEGO forums were speculating this one was going to be retired this year...like 9 months ago. When a set retires, they keep producing it until the end of the year, but every single time there's a news story about some set possibly retiring or being pulled, LEGO flippers descend upon it like a horde.

So you'll probably see it out of stock for a couple months (despite being on sale constantly the past few) until a new shipment is released. Probably a reasonable short-term profit if you can find it, until people realize it's not actually out of production.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #20
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
Umm, the media got it wrong. Lego is not withdrawing it, its from last year's assortments, and they are already on 2013 assortments. They don't indefinately release products. The Darth Maul logo is 2012, and the only sets they are releasing now have the Yoda logo.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ce-claims.html

But hey, all publicity is good publicity. I'm sure these sets were snatched up all over the US and the world due to flippers.
According to that article, Lego is phasing it out due to 'normal product life cycle' but they are still having to deal with allegations of racism concerning Jabba's Palace.

Doesn't alter the fundamentals of the story all that much to me As has been mentioned, it seems people (of any religious or cultural persuasion) will take offense at the most ridiculous of things these days.
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote