Old 05-30-2017, 11:44 AM   #1
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Hot Toys First Order Stormtrooper Unboxing

First Order Stormtrooper 1/6 Scale Figure
by Hot Toys

Released: December 2015
Product Size: 12.25" H x 5.5" W x 5" D
Design Team: Lok Ho (Figure Paint), JC. Hong (Art Direction)
Original Retail Price: $204.99 USD plus shipping

Please watch the unboxing video HERE

Included Accessories:
  • One (1) pair of fists
  • One (1) pair of relaxed palms
  • One (1) pair of palms for holding weapons
  • One (1) gesturing left palm
  • One (1) blaster rifle
  • One (1) blaster pistol
  • One (1) figure stand and base

So, something a bit different this time around, as we take a look at the First Order Stormtrooper from Hot Toys, distributed by Sideshow Collectibles. We don't review many figures, so this is a nice change of pace.

Pesonally, I am a big fan of the updated appearance of the First Order stormtroopers. The design is sleek and modern, but still totally recognizable as a stormtooper...anyone with any Star Wars knowledge should recognize these soldiers for what they are...cannon fodder for the bad guys!

I don't consider myself a stickler for movie accuracy down to the minute details, so perhaps take this with a grain of salt, but I think the movie accuracy of this piece is on point. I re-watched the stormtrooper scenes from the Force Awakens several times to see if I could spot any significant differences, and I could not find anything. Fans of the movie should be very pleased with the movie accurate details on the piece.

The high level of detail on the guns and gloved hands (stitching and palm padding) really add to the realism of the piece. Each gun is magnetic and will stick to the holster on the side of the right leg.

As noted above in the accessory list, the figure comes with several swap out hands allowing it to hold the blasters in either hand. There is also a set of closed fists and an open "high five" left hand. So, the figure offers a variety of display options.

The figure itself is highly articulated; however, the range of motion is fairly limited (especially the legs). The armour plating restricts movement and the underlying black bodysuit fabric is fairly unforgiving. So, you may have to settle for the typical "guard stances" when on display, but that's ok because that's really what stormtroopers are best at (that and missing their targets at impossibly close range).

One thing to watch out for with this piece is that the white armour is susceptible to marking, so watch out when you handle it (especially if you wear rings). I found that a good old Mr. Clean Magic Eraser was able to remove the marks and return the piece to good as new.

There are several variants of this stormtrooper available. There is an Officer (red shoulder pauldron), Squad Leader (white shoulder pauldron), Jakou special edition (has a black vest), and Heavy Gunner. There's also a two-pack that includes Finn and the trooper with shock baton, so you can re-create that epic close combat fight from the movie.

Overall, this figure should please fans. Movie accuracy certainly impressive and there should be enough accessories here to create the display to your liking. I have no issue recommending this piece to Star Wars and Hot Toys fans alike.
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:44 AM   #2
Bmutha

Old 05-30-2017, 11:44 AM   #3
Bmutha

Old 05-31-2017, 07:36 AM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

Look at this! Nice pics!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:05 PM   #5
Bmutha

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Look at this! Nice pics!
Thanks!
Old 06-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #6
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Hi Bmutha,
I must admit that I have never been much of a Hot Toys fan but that being said I would like to stress that I really like this piece.
Thanks for the great (video-)review and the amazing pictures.

I think the Force is strong with you my friend!

Rainer
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:59 AM   #7
Bmutha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force of Nature View Post
Hi Bmutha,
I must admit that I have never been much of a Hot Toys fan but that being said I would like to stress that I really like this piece.
Thanks for the great (video-)review and the amazing pictures.

I think the Force is strong with you my friend!

Rainer
Thanks, Rainer.

This is actually the first Hot Toys I've seen up close.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:36 PM   #8
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Great photos.

I picked up the HT Heavy Gunner version and was surprised at the lack of mobility due to interference of the armor pieces. Given that TFA uses people in armor versus AOTC and ROTS were all CGI troopers, that the armor would be better design for mobility and ergonomics. While the Heavy Gunner version looks cool, he can't hold that huge gun worth crap. I have the TIE pilot and snowtrooper out on display with the Flametrooper still in box. I am old school and still prefer the original trilogy troopers and then the Rogue One troopers.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #9
Bmutha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
Great photos.

I picked up the HT Heavy Gunner version and was surprised at the lack of mobility due to interference of the armor pieces. Given that TFA uses people in armor versus AOTC and ROTS were all CGI troopers, that the armor would be better design for mobility and ergonomics. While the Heavy Gunner version looks cool, he can't hold that huge gun worth crap. I have the TIE pilot and snowtrooper out on display with the Flametrooper still in box. I am old school and still prefer the original trilogy troopers and then the Rogue One troopers.
Thanks.

That's too bad to hear about the heavy gunner...it looks awesome with the bigger weapons.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #10
CraftRevolution
Doh!

Great detail and articulation. Love this piece!
CraftRevolution is offline   Reply With Quote