Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 06-06-2017, 09:39 AM   #11
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
We never really talk about playwrite' Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa's 30 issue run on the Fabntastic Four back in their experiment with them under The Marvel Knights Banner. I loved that book & feel it never got the attention or appreciation it deserved. Give a new FF book to Aguirre-Sacasa. He really got the family dynamic & while he didn't really take the FF to outer space, he took them to plenty of weird places (anyone remember the Pine-Barrens/Jersey Devil issue?) He could do it. The Marvel Knights FF had artists like Steve Mcniven, Jim Muniz, Mizuki Sakabara & Clay Mann drawing; beautiful stuff in every issue. Anyone of the artists could pick up the book with Sacasa. I woud be so happy if something like this came to play. Truly, I don't see why Marvel isn't doing a new FF anything?

That's a great run. It reminded me of a sort of X-Files/FF hybrid. If FF came back I would like them to do a similar thing, with some space travel eventually mixed in. Slow build up and eventual cosmic ramifications.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #12
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
It's a shame, but I don't actually know where the FF would fit in comics and what readership they would have now. It seems the space faring family mantle has been passed to the GOTG crew.

This is an excellent point.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:50 PM   #13
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I'm not a fan of Hickman's run, or anything he's done for Marvel.
I'm sure I was thinking of you when I said "not many fans". You've been very vocal with your dislike of his Marvel writing.

I feel the opposite of course. I'd love to see him take on the X-Men franchise.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #14
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
As much as I like Jason Aaron, I have found him to be hit or miss. To write FF, you really need a superb scifi imagination and a penchant for physics and chemistry. If he does indeed get a stint on the book, I hope he can pull it off.
His Hulk and Original Sin work, admittedly, were terrible. But Scalped, Ghost Rider, Wolverine/Weapon X and Thor are off-the-hook good. And he's said he'd love to work on FF so his heart is in the characters and the book.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:36 PM   #15
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
I'm sure I was thinking of you when I said "not many fans". You've been very vocal with your dislike of his Marvel writing.

I feel the opposite of course. I'd love to see him take on the X-Men franchise.
Fair enough, and to each his own. If he wrote X-Men I certainly wouldn't buy it after what I read on FF and Avengers.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #16
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
I know he doesn't have many fans here, but I thought the Jonathan Hickman run on Fantastic Four/FF was epic. I wish I could find the first Hickman omnibus at a decent price.
Same goes for me. :/

I haven't read his FF or Avengers yet but the praises of them or anything Hickman is sky high so i'm really hyped about upcoming Hickman Avengers Omnibus, i won't miss this one like i missed his FF.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #17
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
That's a great run. It reminded me of a sort of X-Files/FF hybrid. If FF came back I would like them to do a similar thing, with some space travel eventually mixed in. Slow build up and eventual cosmic ramifications.
So true. But he could also write very human tales too. I recall one issue where Reed talked a despondent business man & father off the edge of a building where he intended to jump. I've never read a FF story like that one & still really remember it.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:29 PM   #18
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
His Hulk and Original Sin work, admittedly, were terrible. But Scalped, Ghost Rider, Wolverine/Weapon X and Thor are off-the-hook good. And he's said he'd love to work on FF so his heart is in the characters and the book.
I felt his work on X-Men and Wolverine was average at best. Those books also had a religion-bent to them which I felt didn't work for me. I also couldn't get past his first Scalped TPB as I'm not typically drawn to books with that much profanity, violence, and grit. However, I could not agree more about Thor, even though it was a bit religion-heavy. I have yet to read his Ghost Rider, however, I imagine it's probably another thinly veiled lecture on religion.

I hope you're right about FF. I love that title. However, it's the toughest book to write well. However, I can't help but feel he would use the title to vent more about religion (i.e., with Galactus, Anihillus, and so on).

All this to say, I'm not against using religion as a source material. However, with Aaron, it's starting to feel one-trick-ponyish. I wonder if I'm the only to notice that religion has been heavily featured in most of his work.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #19
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

It's funny, I don't really see the religious parts of his writing. Though his Ghost Rider gets into an apocolyptic storyline so it may not be so thinly veiled, as you note. I don't really see the religious elements to his work on Thor (beyond the pagan pantheons that always have been part of the Thor comic), Dr. Strange and Weapon X.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #20
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
It's a shame, but I don't actually know where the FF would fit in comics and what readership they would have now. It seems the space faring family mantle has been passed to the GOTG crew.
Good crossovers like the Infinity & Annihilation books proved to me that there's plenty of room in Marvel's Space-Faring & Cosmic side for more books dealing with Space. If anything, Marvel's backed off from this rich history. The FF spent a lot of time in different universes which now remain, more or less, untapped.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote