Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #1
risingstar
Jedi Order

Anyone here Gluten intolerant?

Anyone here Gluten intolerant? Just got the news form my doc today that I may be gluten intolerant. I'm going to make an appointment for an intestinal biopsy tomorrow, which should be a wonderfully joyous experience........

Yeesh... Googling gluten-free foods is depressing. The "avoid foods" list is even worse.... It's not fatal, but goodness, it certainly is a life transition.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:08 AM   #2
Sithlord32
New Republic

Im not myself though I know a couple people that have celiacs disease.
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:55 AM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithlord32 View Post
Im not myself though I know a couple people that have celiacs disease.

Was it a recent diagnosis? How are they doing with it?
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Was it a recent diagnosis? How are they doing with it?
UM Carol has had it for quite a while. She functions just fine as long as she stays within her limits of select foods which sadly is not a very wide range. When she dosent she gets sick feeling and usually has bad cramps and diarrhea.
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:57 AM   #5
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
I don't know what glutens are and they're a fad word to me today. Let me look it up and get back to you guys
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #6
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
My wife, daughters and myself are all gluten intolerant. It isn't that bad, once you get used to it. The nice thing is that many restaurants have gluten free menu items. We have saved quite a bit of money over the last couple years by not eating out. Our local grocery store has a nice selection of gluten free foods, bread, pretzels, cereal, chicken nuggets etc. It is more expensive, but well worth not having to deal with all the physical issues of eating gluten.
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:22 PM   #7
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

I've got a family member with coeliac disease, and whilst it is manageable, it can be a real pain. Can be very difficult when dining out at a restaurant or at a friends place. And gluten is in just about everything (you'd be amazed just how many products contain gluten). There is a growing demand for gluten free products and they are getting better. The bread for example used to be like a wet house brick, but its improving all the time.

It is something you need to stay on top of because it can lead to other problems if it's not managed (diabetes for example). Just bear in mind there is a substantial difference between coeliac disease and an intolerance though.
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #8
A2G
The Herculoids

Gluten intolerance can happen to anyone if you guys aren't careful with the wheat products you consume.

Every year the wheat products on the market are modified to contain high gluten content to help produce high-volume commercial baked goods. As a result more people are becoming intolerant. Someone who has no gluten sensitivity can become intolerant next year or in the future.

A few things you can do to help yourself to avoid becoming gluten intolerant.

1- avoiding GMO wheat products
2- buy organic if possible
3- use spelt products. Spelt has less gluten and it hasn't been modified. It's gluten content breaks down easily and therefore is easier to digest
3-avoiding gluten all together; try alternatives like buckwheat(is not wheat and does not contain gluten), oats, millet, amaranth or wild rice
A2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
Wookiee
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

A slight clarification perhaps. My day job is managing an organic certification firm. Currently there are no commercially available GMO wheat varieties, though typical breeding for wheat is done through forced mutations, which can account for much of the change in the characteristics of the crop being bred.

Currently, for breeding purposes all a breeder needs to do is show the crop demonstrates the desired traits and then can register the same for sale. Often times, what is overlooked is what other results came from the breeding efforts as these are typically not part of the desired trait.

Much of our problems in food today come from the rampant commercialization of pesticides and synthetic substances used in the production of our food. Plants and livestock alike.

A2G's recommendations are definately sound. Avoiding GMO crops in general is good (soy, corn, and canola being most prominent in North America). If you can't avoid these, then use organic soy, corn or canola as these are non-gmo and produced without the use of synthetic pesticides and fertilizers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2G View Post
Gluten intolerance can happen to anyone if you guys aren't careful with the wheat products you consume.

Every year the wheat products on the market are modified to contain high gluten content to help produce high-volume commercial baked goods. As a result more people are becoming intolerant. Someone who has no gluten sensitivity can become intolerant next year or in the future.

A few things you can do to help yourself to avoid becoming gluten intolerant.

1- avoiding GMO wheat products
2- buy organic if possible
3- use spelt products. Spelt has less gluten and it hasn't been modified. It's gluten content breaks down easily and therefore is easier to digest
3-avoiding gluten all together; try alternatives like buckwheat(is not wheat and does not contain gluten), oats, millet, amaranth or wild rice
Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #10
skorpsta
Ghost

i suffer from IBS irritable bowl disease...i was tested for celliac in 2008 and i came up negative...but with IBS i do not eat any
fried foods or sweets
dairy...and certain other foods..however i do get the symptoms of bloated pressure in my stomach..bad...esp after meals since i eat alot of carbs...i thought it was the gluten but my gastro told me its my IBS...i been dealing with this since i was 24 and now at 44 i just adjust and deal with it...good luck hope all works out
skorpsta is offline   Reply With Quote