Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 06-30-2016, 03:08 AM   #101
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

This so damn exciting. Sideshow is really starting to bring out the guns as far as lesser popular characters.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:51 AM   #102
equi-nox76
Alpha Flight

Bring on the classic Green Arrow now...

equi-nox76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:16 AM   #103
AC_808
Hercules

I love this sculpt! And I'm definitely ordering this when it goes up for PO.

I understand that this is not the quintessential Black Canary because it doesn't show the kickass person that she is. But it does show the sexy person that she is ...and that is still a part of her character ...so I'm not going to pass on this just because of that. I've been a fan for a long time ...and i'm excited that this is being offered. I hope another statue will be offered later that will showcase her kickass side.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:46 AM   #104
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Just plain ol' fashioned NY Cheesecake for me!

Enuff now with the ladies of DC! Where are Nightwing & Flash?!
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:55 AM   #105
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
You can say that about almost any female comic character, and most male heroes as well given their physiques, square jaws and other physically ideal characteristics. Comics are mostly about wish fulfillment and power fantasies, so this is a given. No one wants to see female or male heroes dressed or built in realistic ways because that's no fun.

So yeah, with an attractive female character the sexuality is always there because of the designs of those characters. When people say this is a little "too cheesecake", they mean that the pose/context chosen ramps up or places the focus on sexual aesthetics and off of the other elements of the character. Some people prefer that, and some people like myself think the sexual elements are all well and good, but like to see a balance struck between how the character looks and what they can physically do or convey.

An example would be Red Sonja. In both PFs she's close to naked, but she's also carrying a severed head/standing over a giant snake she just gutted, looking badazz. So you get the sex appeal that we associate with the character and like, but you also get a demonstration of strength and a story about the character beyond her physical attractiveness. So despite all the skin shown, no one really calls those pieces "cheesecake".

Cheesecake simply means that balance is not there. It's a style, and cool enough on its own merits, but some people like to have it both ways. I prefer sexy AND badazz compositions, as opposed to just sexy. I don't think delusion plays any role if you have that preference.
well expressed.
That about covers it.

Hard to tell for sure until we see more angles, but I think I just realized what the point of the pose is.
At first it looked like she was putting her forefinger to her lips in a "shhhh...be silent" way.
Didn't really understand that unless the idea was to go 180 degrees in the opposite direction by ironically having her not make noise.

Looking closer though, it looks more like she's wagging her finger in a "now now boys, does mama need to spank you again?" way - with the rubble at her feet providing the subtle indication that some rough housing just went down.

If that is the case- nicely done. That would balance the cheesecake sensibilities inherent in the characters costume design, with a hint at what she has been known for - being a playful master in hand to hand combat.
I'm more convinced than ever that Harbottle had a big hand in this one. If not, kudos to whoever did.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:08 AM   #106
generalzodlives
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningRage View Post
I have that giclee
Same here!

I'm in for Black Canary for sure.
generalzodlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:37 AM   #107
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Es for her and huntress will be small for the ex since she's a... c list character lol....well I can always hope. Great SS is doing the less popular characters.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:54 AM   #108
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I was concerned when I saw the hand on hip pose. This Black Canary isn't a complete miss and I guess you can argue which is better between her and Supergirl. Honestly Power Girl is better than both of them. I just wasn't expecting a pinup Black Canary. Not that I don't like pinup artwork. But part of me thinks this Black Canary standing by the bricks could also look like someone standing near a dilapidated home saying keep quiet about her services. Also for those that don't get or know what people are talking about when they call her pose cheesecake. The Great American Pinup book has tons of examples and it's usually pretty cheap for a large hardcover book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQPl1XKzk4o

I was looking forward to the Black Canary that's on the Justice League and who fights along side Batman and Wonder Woman. This doesn't look like her. And after Power Girl and Red Sonja, I was expecting her to look more fit. I seriously doubt Sideshow will make both a change of portrait and arm as well. If I were to get this Black Canary, it would probably be the least favorite in my collection.

I think someone at DC doesn't want to make a good Birds of Prey team. First Kotobukiya, then Prototypez, and now Sideshow. Maybe DC will make a Black Canary with motorcycle for their Garage line one day. I still would like to see a separate Ed Benes Black Canary. Or I'll just wait for XM, Prime 1, Iron Studios, or someone else to be able to make Justice League characters. But for the price Sideshow will ask for Black Canary, I just can't get this version when so many other pieces are coming out that are what I'm looking for.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:07 AM   #109
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
I was concerned when I saw the hand on hip pose. This Black Canary isn't a complete miss and I guess you can argue which is better between her and Supergirl. Honestly Power Girl is better than both of them. I just wasn't expecting a pinup Black Canary. Not that I don't like pinup artwork. But part of me thinks this Black Canary standing by the bricks could also look like someone standing near a dilapidated home saying keep quiet about her services.
Again, I'm sure further angles will make the pose and intent of it much clearer.

I think what the artist/designer(s) here are channeling is something like this

In fact, I'm convinced of it. And I gotta say, it's not only playfully sexy. It's also witty and elegantly simple. I haven't been this impressed since Sonja last year, and I'm sure this is going to be a huge hit at SDCC just like that one was.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:42 AM   #110
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbusts View Post
This so damn exciting. Sideshow is really starting to bring out the guns as far as lesser popular characters.
Lesser popular FEMALE characters. Let's admit it, we're all pervs and sideshow knows it. They're making smart business decisions. I'm not saying that's bad, but let's not pretend they're making characters like power girl and black canary because they want to service the fans of less popular characters. If they were into that, we'd have a rubber man by now. Lol

Look at the Power Girl PF for example. It has the same ES as the new GL PF(which still hasn't sold out the ex). You have to scroll down a list of popular DC characters pretty far before you find Power Girl yet it has the same numbers as Hal Jordon... That doesn't seem right. Now imagine if they did a Dr. Fate PF. That would have an Es of about 15 because nobody is paying $500US for a Dr. Fate PF(no offence Dr. Fate fans).

Everyone's calling this "cheesecake" and that's because that's what it is.
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote