Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 01-13-2018, 04:33 PM   #11
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
As PC as Marvel & most companies have become in the past 10 years. I wonder how Marvel will tackle many of Conan's outside interests as well as the violence. Conan was written in the 1920's after all.
And since Marvel is under Disney now, we may get a very tamed Conan... But we will see. I would love to see a MAX Conan series.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:06 PM   #12
protector2814
Phoenix

2 days in to 2019 & Marvel sure-as-hell brought Conan back! I did an old-fashioned R.O.A.R. w/ this book & really, really liked what I read. I'm not the biggest Jason Aaron fan in the world but I sure love what he wrote w/ his 1st issue of Conan the Barbarian. It was fantastic!. I was extra surprised to read in the close-page that Marvels got 2 more regular Conan books starting soon & a Belit book waiting in the wings.

I was more than worried that Marvel thru Disney might really dial back the barbarian violence w/ this book ... but they didn't. We'll see how long before the outrage starts pouring in but I was grinningly shocked to see Conan in action the way Aaron & artist, Mahmud Asrar took him in this 1st ish. Tons of lopping! The story is fresh & a new one, Aaron suggests that an avenue of Conan's life might be explored that, in the comics, I don't believe has ever been done before.

Get this one before it sells out. I got to my lcs at 11:30 this morning & they only had 3 issues left on the racks. I was very pleasantly surprised that Marvel did not drop the ball w/ this one. Don't worry, Conan, is indeed back w/ a vengeance at Marvel.

Now that I think about it .... anyone know whay Darkhorse gave him up?
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:39 PM   #13
Shoo
The Enchantress

Quote:

Now that I think about it .... anyone know whay Darkhorse gave him up?
I don't think they willingly gave him up - more like a case of Disney flexing their $ muscle.

Glad to hear about your enthusiasm.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:24 PM   #14
protector2814
Phoenix

You're probably right. Still, when I talked to my lcs owner today, he said that for the past few years all the Dark Horse Conan' issues were selling poorly. & I myself was feeling that it seemed DH' Conan' quality was really starting to decline. But ... then you see the 2most recent DH' Colossal Collections sell out in just days. Go figure. So glad I got those, by the way.

Shoo, let me/us know what you think about this new book. I'd love to read your thoughts.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:56 PM   #15
Shoo
The Enchantress

Quote:
But ... then you see the 2most recent DH' Colossal Collections sell out in just days. Go figure.
I hear you, but I think that has more to do with the fact that the first Colossal Conan from years ago was so sought-after and the knowledge these two new Colossal books will never ever be reprinted. And after The Cimmerian turned out to apparently have such a small edition, being printed in the death throats of their license, sharks definitely smelled the blood and it only got worse with King Conan.

Quote:
So glad I got those, by the way.
Yeah, those are keepers.

Quote:
Shoo, let me/us know what you think about this new book. I'd love to read your thoughts.
I'd love to, but I'm a trade-waiter (in this case an 'Omni-waiter', I'm a very patient man), so it will take me a long time to be able to read it. :/
Old 01-02-2019, 06:48 PM   #16
protector2814
Phoenix

Confusing .... because, for some reasons, Darkhorse was able to secure the rights to reprint much of the Marvel Conan' stuff. One would think the reverse would be true & Marvel will eventually be able to reprint, if they choose to, the Darkhorse' Conan. Why not?
Old 01-02-2019, 06:51 PM   #17
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post

"..." I'd love to, but I'm a trade-waiter (in this case an 'Omni-waiter', I'm a very patient man), so it will take me a long time to be able to read it. :/
Oh, for the love of Pete, drop five beans & buy the 1st ish.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #18
Shoo
The Enchantress

Quote:
Confusing .... because, for some reasons, Darkhorse was able to secure the rights to reprint much of the Marvel Conan' stuff. One would think the reverse would be true & Marvel will eventually be able to reprint, if they choose to, the Darkhorse' Conan. Why not?
I meant these particular books will never be reprinted, but the material therein will in fact be reprinted by Marvel in their Epic Collection line, just like they did with DH's own Star Wars stuff when they got the rights back.

Quote:
Oh, for the love of Pete, drop five beans & buy the 1st ish.
Lol. Nah, I haven't bought a floppy in over a decade.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:38 PM   #19
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Stoked to read this! This review echoes Jerry’s comments:

https://www.newsarama.com/43310-best...rbarian-1.html
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:16 PM   #20
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

I missed all the Dark Horse Collossal editions... I didn't have the first one and dark horse didn't reprint it... so even if i bought the other two, i would never get the first one 'cause it goes for 500 dolar or someting in second hand market...... :/ ehh... what are you gonna do... i can live without collossal conan, i have many new mezco figures to ease my pain.... lol

I hope the Marvel omnibuses don't go out of stock as fast as the Dark Horse collossals... Eveyone says amazing things about the new Marvel Conan first issue I hope they keep up the good work and we have an amazing omnibus.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote