Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 06-18-2019, 10:02 PM   #21
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
If you avoid Frank Miller, you are no Batman fan. He put the bat on the map again. I understand the Alan Moore part 'cause Barbara and Killing Joke, ok. You don't like Barbara get hurt like that, understandable. I believe Bendis will be great 'cause his Daredevil run was so extraordinary... that darkness that wraps up that book's atmosphere... just amazing. We need that for Batman.
1) Frank Miller Batman made me wonder if DC had jumped the shark.

2) With regards to Alan Moore, I just have no interest in his work in general. With regards to The Killing Joke specifically, I agree with Moore's appraisal of his own work -- it's a piece of $h!t.

3) What Bendis did on Daredevil has no bearing or relevance for his work at DC.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:29 PM   #22
Mister H
Green Goblin

I’m very critical of anything Batman related. He has to be treated just right or it won’t fit with the whole concept of him. Miller never really fit the bill for me, The Killing Joke was great I thought but only because of Bolland’s art. Heard too many things about King to give him a chance. My only shot for Bats seems to be some of the Black Label stuff. I’m the same way with Captain America, thank God for Brubaker.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:23 PM   #23
Gothamite
Phoenix

Tom King Batman is really pretty good. He's had a good run with New 52 Nightwing/Grayson and now Rebirth Batman.

You know what really sucks? Rebirth Nightwing. That's some trash writing right there.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:40 AM   #24
Gothamite
Phoenix

First look at Batman and Catwoman's reunion:

https://ew.com/books/2019/06/13/batm...omic-tom-king/

Old 06-19-2019, 12:56 AM   #25
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I definitely will be getting that 12 part series and I love the fact that it looks like Catwoman is going back to her pre Joelle Jones designed outfit (would love to see her in the Jim Balent designed outfit with long hair - oh well, a boy can dream)
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:28 PM   #26
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Miller did put Batman on the map again with DKN, but then went off the rails on Batman after that. I love DKN but can’t stand Miller’s subsequent Batman work. If asked, I’d say I can’t stand him either today, except for his work prior to about 1987.
Case in point about his writing today, even though it’s not Batman:

https://www.newsarama.com/45686-best...ne-1-3-10.html
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:31 PM   #27
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
1) Frank Miller Batman made me wonder if DC had jumped the shark.

2) With regards to Alan Moore, I just have no interest in his work in general. With regards to The Killing Joke specifically, I agree with Moore's appraisal of his own work -- it's a piece of $h!t.

3) What Bendis did on Daredevil has no bearing or relevance for his work at DC.
I thought Bendis’ work on Alias, Daredevil and through most of his Avengers run was top notch. His time at DC on Superman is middling at best, and much of it poor.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:32 PM   #28
Mister H
Green Goblin

Hmmm...Supes in the Navy.....oooookay.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:40 PM   #29
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Miller did put Batman on the map again with DKN, but then went off the rails on Batman after that. I love DKN but can’t stand Miller’s subsequent Batman work. If asked, I’d say I can’t stand him either today, except for his work prior to about 1987.
As far as i know, no one took Batman serious before Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. Everyone was like NANANANANANANANA BATMAN !!! and laughing, Adam West Batman was the most well known Batman, but Miller came and wrote The Dark Knight Returns & Year One and gave Batman his balls back. Nerds started to respect Batman again as a grim and gritty hero. So loving Batman is loving Miller, it goes hand to hand, you can't have one without the other.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #30
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
As far as i know, no one took Batman serious before Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. Everyone was like NANANANANANANANA BATMAN !!! and laughing, Adam West Batman was the most well known Batman, but Miller came and wrote The Dark Knight Returns & Year One and gave Batman his balls back. Nerds started to respect Batman again as a grim and gritty hero. So loving Batman is loving Miller, it goes hand to hand, you can't have one without the other.
Untrue. Go back and read Dennis O’Neil and Neal Adams’ Batman. Miller is credited with returning Batman to the dark figure Neal Adams developed, and Finger/Kane before that.

Besides, my point is that after DKR/Year One Miller jumper the shark. Loving Batman may mean loving Miller’s work on DKR/Year One, but not necessarily anything he’s done since.

Last edited by wktf; 06-20-2019 at 03:12 PM.