Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 05-24-2021, 11:27 AM   #11
Power Cosmic
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Yeah, I'm not a fan either, I enjoyed seeing it in action and that was fun and all, but it's very odd design to me, it's parts in some areas are basic and blocky, like Legos, the arms and hands seem too large and different from Godzilla. It's like they combined a building and Godzilla. I'd be curious what their design inspiration was.
The concept art book for G vs K has many designs for Mechagodzilla that I personally would have much preferred over the final version. Interestingly, the same guy who designed the Ready Player One MG also designed the G vs K MG.

The design inspiration is actually cool, which I think might make the final design a bit more palatable for people who didn't like it. There were sort of 2 mandates for Mechagodzilla:

Mandate 1 came from the director. He specifically used the template of the Michael Bay Transformers designs as what he did not want. The rationale being that the designs for many of the Transformers were so busy and complex that it was incredibly hard to discern who was who in any given battle scene, as it would just be a mush of CGI metal. As a huge Godzilla and Transformers fan, this made immediate sense to me. Further to underscore this desire, he wanted the final MG to be "organically artificial"; it had to be clear that humans had constructed it (as opposed to aliens, which was the classic/showa era Mechagodzilla), and that it was an artificial construct meant to defeat Titans, not an artificial construct meant to mimic Titans. Thus, harder geometric lines/shapes as opposed to smooth curvatures and lack of sharp angles.

Mandate 2 came from the designer's boss. Given that Toho had told them explicitly not to recycle anything similar to the Ready Player One Mechagodzilla, and that Wingard wanted to veer away from the busy Transformers aesthetic, the overall design direction was given as: make Mechagodzilla the Terminator of the Monsterverse. No overly complex design...just a walking endoskeleton designed to kill/terminate. Thus the overly long arms for Mechagodzilla, the hands which have vastly superior combat functionality than Godzilla or Kong both, the death tail, etc.

Subjectively I still don't like it that much, but when you understand what they were going for and why they wanted that direction, the design choices make a lot more sense...and indeed hard to imagine anything else.
Power Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:45 AM   #12
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
Looks like it is made out of legos

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:46 AM   #13
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

IT SUX!!!

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:49 AM   #14
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Cosmic View Post
He specifically used the template of the Michael Bay Transformers designs as what he did not want. The rationale being that the designs for many of the Transformers were so busy and complex that it was incredibly hard to discern who was who in any given battle scene
I couldn't agree more.

That was an interesting bit of info, you should post more often. : )
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 12:21 PM   #15
komodo112
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

When I first saw this Mechagodzilla's Concept I wasn't a fan.

But when MechaKevin made his debut and watching him in action...I was impressed. Easily an S Tier Kaiju.

I know many fans wanted the Lizard vs Ape fight, but I really wanted to see more of this Mechagodzilla.

Overall, I'm looking forward to this.
komodo112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:30 PM   #16
Ezhil
Mephisto

The add on should be a sliced skull crawlers to spice this up
Ezhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:41 AM   #17
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
The concept art book for G vs K has many designs for Mechagodzilla that I personally would have much preferred over the final version. Interestingly, the same guy who designed the Ready Player One MG also designed the G vs K MG.

The design inspiration is actually cool, which I think might make the final design a bit more palatable for people who didn't like it. There were sort of 2 mandates for Mechagodzilla:

Mandate 1 came from the director. He specifically used the template of the Michael Bay Transformers designs as what he did not want. The rationale being that the designs for many of the Transformers were so busy and complex that it was incredibly hard to discern who was who in any given battle scene, as it would just be a mush of CGI metal. As a huge Godzilla and Transformers fan, this made immediate sense to me. Further to underscore this desire, he wanted the final MG to be "organically artificial"; it had to be clear that humans had constructed it (as opposed to aliens, which was the classic/showa era Mechagodzilla), and that it was an artificial construct meant to defeat Titans, not an artificial construct meant to mimic Titans. Thus, harder geometric lines/shapes as opposed to smooth curvatures and lack of sharp angles.

Mandate 2 came from the designer's boss. Given that Toho had told them explicitly not to recycle anything similar to the Ready Player One Mechagodzilla, and that Wingard wanted to veer away from the busy Transformers aesthetic, the overall design direction was given as: make Mechagodzilla the Terminator of the Monsterverse. No overly complex design...just a walking endoskeleton designed to kill/terminate. Thus the overly long arms for Mechagodzilla, the hands which have vastly superior combat functionality than Godzilla or Kong both, the death tail, etc.

Subjectively I still don't like it that much, but when you understand what they were going for and why they wanted that direction, the design choices make a lot more sense...and indeed hard to imagine anything else.

Thanks for the info. I wish they had leaned a little more towards the Kiryu/SOS (my favorite) but of course updated to look like Monsterverse G. Maybe next time, of course that could be decades away. Sure wish we had more movies coming, it was a hit after all. But they seem intent on ending things.

CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:57 AM   #18
jinkazama
Cobra Command

Quote:

You've been a member of this forum for about 10 years, and you've only posted 13 times????
jinkazama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:39 PM   #19
TheBishop
Justice League

I think that the “Easter egg” that prime 1 was referring to that is supposedly in the base of the Godzilla vs Kong diorama is possibly the ability for this MG statue on its base to be inserted into the middle of the base of the diorama and that will allow to have 3 statues in the fight scene just as the movie shows.... just a thought.
TheBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 07:46 AM   #20
Shoo
Hercules

Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote