Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 10-01-2021, 09:15 AM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

The (2021) 7th Annual Halloween, Horror Comics Thread

Back again for another October of Horror Comics Fun! This year I'll be exploring the great Artists of Horror Comics, starting (& concentrating) on the 1950's, & winding down with the 60's, 70's, 80's & Modern Horror Artists. As many of you know, I love horror comics! They're what started me comic collecting in the 1st place. It was the DC' Horror Books I 1st noticed on the spin racks as a kid that kicked my collecting off. Over the past decade, I've concentrated on collecting the older books & have been buying the dozens of wonderful trade collections that have been popping up over the past decade. I'll be recommending these affordable trades as we move along.

As always, please contribute with pics & thoughts on your own favorite horror artists & comics.

Bob Powell - (The King Of Ghouls) Bob wrote his stories as much as he drew. His horror leaned towards Sci-Fi, with many of his stories revolving around Lab-Monsters bent of scientist-revenge -

This 50's couple's boating where they shouldn't be. She gets bitten, turns into a frog-chick, kills her hubby.

Bob's Swamp-backgrounds were hard to beat. Note to self * Don't treasure hunt in forbidden, swamplands -

From Chamber of Chills, 1953, Happy Anniversary.

She got tired of waiting.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:26 AM   #2
protector2814
Phoenix

Jack Cole -

One of the more grisly 50's horror artists. I'm sure Mr. Cole came in to play when Govt. discusses the horror comics ban -

In this story from Web of Evil #8, a man is mistaken for another in a Hell-Town. When the original man finally shows up, a friendly cop is there to great him -

From Custodian Of The Dead in Web Of Evil #1, 1952 (almiost 20 years before Uncle Creepy). This gravedigger, after stealing from the dead gets his come-uppence from the rats living underneath the cemetary. An idea that would be used again in the 70's mivie, Trilogy of Terror 2 -

Some more from Custodian -

FYI - Jack created the DC character, Plastic Man.
Old 10-01-2021, 09:35 AM   #3
protector2814
Phoenix

Ken Rice -

Baffling Mysteries #19. Boob sells his soul to Mr. Scratch. Ken had both figures & backgrounds going on -

All pre-Romero.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:13 PM   #4
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Love this annual thread, Jerry! Bring it !
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:29 AM   #5
protector2814
Phoenix

Thanks Joe. Really appreciate it!

Jack Sparling - Jack did a hell of a lot of Silver & Bronze age work for DC, Marvel, Charleton & Gold Key, drawaing everyone from Thor to Superman. But, I think he did really well in the Horror Genre. Stark backgrounds, brooding monsters, semi-chunky form.

Neal Adams would often draw kids is horrific & dangerous situations like this. Wonder who did it 1st?
Old 10-02-2021, 10:42 AM   #6
protector2814
Phoenix

Tony Mortellaro - Tony did a lot of Super-Hero Inking work for Marvel in there Silver & Bronze ages, but before that he drew some very cool horror books for 50's spooky comics. He has a playful, sci-fi-cartoony style that really worked for the more fantastic tales of the era -

Old 10-02-2021, 01:50 PM   #7
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Cool thread! I read a lot of random old horror comics, but I have no idea what decades they were from. I have a better grasp of the 90s to present stuff, so I'll look forward to more education within this thread.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 02:30 PM   #8
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

Awesome thread. Getting a horror comic education! Thanks!
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 03:41 PM   #9
protector2814
Phoenix

Thanks both Alex & Jeremy! Glad to hear from fellow Horror-Loving SF Members.
Kenneth Landau, another 50's horror artist I'm fond of, drew with realism but was very good at adding additional surreal & terrifying touches -

"Ooops! Dropsies"

Clingin' Vine -

Thrown in to an empty grave by zombies. It happens -
Old 10-03-2021, 10:15 AM   #10
protector2814
Phoenix

Jay Disbrow - Probably the most stylized of the 50's, pre-code horror illustrators, Jay concentrated on monsters (& ghosts). Monsters ....but the good kind. His came out of swamps, or down from high mountain caves, or conjured from ancient, evil texts or science labs. Disbrow knew how to really draw them. 50's Comics like
Ghostly Weird Stories, Startling Terror Tales, Dark Mysteries & Spook Magazine were his stomping grounds.

One of the early "part-2" comics I've read. Both are fantastic -

Messed with the wrong ghost -

What the hell?

"Honey? I have a great idea. Let's go explore that old castle you just inherited."