Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 06-20-2019, 10:21 AM   #261
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814;5768014[B
]How many Caps, Iron Man, Wolverine, Spiderman statues do we need?[/B] Since he was "knee-deep" with the Marvel Monsters (Dracula & the Frankenstein Monster, Man-Thing, Simon Garth), I certainly hope that he follows through with more. I know he was talking about a Werewolf By Night statue. I'd also love to see a FS Morbius, Living Mummy, Son of Satan & Satana, Man-Wolf, Lilith, & Brother Voodoo.
Spoken like a true collector but sadly not like someone trying to make a living producing statues. The simple answer is that you can’t make too many of the blue chip characters if that is what it takes to sustain a business. As a collector, you don’t need them all so just choose which ones you like best and sell or pass on the rest. If BD were to primarily focus on the obscure and lower tier characters, he would go bankrupt very quickly. The fact is that these “who needs more” characters (who sell in large quantity which equals sales for the company) enable BD to create the occasional obscure, lower tier characters (who sell in low quantity and not a lot of sales).

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:39 AM   #262
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
No love for 1/5?

I could see him sculpting in 1/4, but if he comes back with his own company I'd expect him to stick with BD scale. I'd be surprised if he didn't.
The only benefit I see of Randy doing 1/4 scale is him creating the classic looks that his fans prefer. But I think he knows his fans and 1/6 scale is what many want. I already see many 1/4 scale fans having to cut back due to space and cost. Tweeterhead success lends to that theory that classic looks in 1/6 scale is popular. JMO.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:53 AM   #263
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
K. Bros made a second Nightcrawler?
It was in the works.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #264
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Spoken like a true collector but sadly not like someone trying to make a living producing statues. The simple answer is that you can’t make too many of the blue chip characters if that is what it takes to sustain a business. As a collector, you don’t need them all so just choose which ones you like best and sell or pass on the rest. If BD were to primarily focus on the obscure and lower tier characters, he would go bankrupt very quickly. The fact is that these “who needs more” characters (who sell in large quantity which equals sales for the company) enable BD to create the occasional obscure, lower tier characters (who sell in low quantity and not a lot of sales).
I guess I really don't understand the profit margins then. A small company, possible like a re-boot on BD, churning out 500-1000 statues on any given minor character. How much are they paying out, percentage wise, to the factories, painters, shippers, box & foam packing makers, etc? ... & then, what are they left with?

Say it's a 1/3 of a $300 statue ($100) that they clear, paying $200 for it's creation, packaging & shipping.

times 750 units = $75,000.00 per minor character.

times 12 fs statues a year = $900,00.00

That's almost a million bucks. Couldn't that money support a small shop?

p.s. All my assumptions may very well be WRONG.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:08 PM   #265
Zodach
The Herculoids

You are forgetting about the hefty license fee that they have to pay to Disney for the right to produce anything. It ain’t cheap.
Zodach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:13 PM   #266
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I guess I really don't understand the profit margins then. A small company, possible like a re-boot on BD, churning out 500-1000 statues on any given minor character. How much are they paying out, percentage wise, to the factories, painters, shippers, box & foam packing makers, etc? ... & then, what are they left with?

Say it's a 1/3 of a $300 statue ($100) that they clear, paying $200 for it's creation, packaging & shipping.

times 750 units = $75,000.00 per minor character.

times 12 fs statues a year = $900,00.00

That's almost a million bucks. Couldn't that money support a small shop?

p.s. All my assumptions may very well be WRONG.
Watch the first 45 min or so of this video.

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=166427
Old 06-24-2019, 11:12 AM   #267
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Wow, this was very enlightening - thanks Keith!

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:31 AM   #268
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Wow, this was very enlightening - thanks Keith!
Chad is one of the first in the business to really come out and explain a lot about the business.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:34 AM   #269
Vracula
Jedi Order

Great vid and great discussion .
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:35 PM   #270
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Yep, we are more the exception than the rule. Seems just easier to get the divorce than figure out how to work it out. Guess they are no longer wedding vows but just a wedding "I hope to stick it out".
I agree. We just celebrated our 29th and planning for our 30th. We feel like more the exception than the rule as well. Like most long-time married couples, we’ve been through hell and high water, dealing with serious issues involving health, money, jobs, kids and our own relationship. But we’re going stronger than ever and are more in love than ever.

Congrats on your 40th, my friend!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote