Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2024, 10:16 AM   #11
SDguy

As I have little in the way of design or build skills, so I can't offer much. All I will say is lighting, lighting, lighting. Don't skimp or get lazy with it. Looking forward to the progression! Show me where that completed Gladiator kit will go
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 04:52 PM   #12
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
As far as the paint I for your storage closet I would match your display closet.

I only like whites and want my ceilings to match, for drywall anyway. Gray could be a good color for statues though as it will negate the downsides of both white and anything too dark.
I considered SoniCobra's use of grey for trim, but I've always used Behr Ultra Pure White for trim, ceilings, and closets, so I decided to continue with it. Trim is semi-gloss, ceilings are flat/matte, and closets are satin. Walls are flat/matte. I paint a lot, so I'm confident keeping with the same sheens I've used. I know eggshell is becoming more popular for walls, but I've never used it.

Satin closets really reflect light well (especially with the white), so that would be useful if I use the storage area for display. But being that it's 'walk-in', I thought it might be too much white. And as I said, I use satin in closets...so that would be different than if I treated it like the main room, with flat paint on the walls.

There will be plenty of light in the storage, as I removed two 4' long fluorescent lights, to be replaced with 4' LED fixtures.

Oh, and I treat the slanted ceiling AS a ceiling (so will be white, regardless). Some people treat them like the walls...
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 04:56 PM   #13
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
I like these types of threads
I am in the same boat, working on my statue room. Can't wait to unbox all my statues after the move.
I have yet to put up a ceiling and level a floor
My rule is going to be: no statues to be displayed at ground level.
I wanted to avoid white, blue, grey walls. Have yet to fathom out a color to use?
That's a tough one. Those are about my three favorite colors to use! Aside from dark stained wood.

I wanted to keep stuff off the ground too, but I wanted to maximize display area in the 'closet'. So, I'm about 10" off the floor.
Old 03-30-2024, 05:26 PM   #14
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Thought i was weird too with my first smartphone S7 in 2019. My colleagues had a good laugh about it
I had the same flip phone for about 15 years. I wasn't planning to upgrade, but my provider offered me a free Pixel 7 in December. I outlasted them! I win! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Anyhow. Always love building and rearranging stuff at my own place.
Nice write-up and i like your basic setup. Did a quick doodle over your photo.

No.1 Below your tv/cinema i would make (or buy) a long threedoors cabinet with closed doors for storing non statue stuff dust free.

No.2 I assume that closet is bit deeper than 20" so i would choose 1.5" oak shelves which have the full dept and width of that closet. 20" is not much now a days with protruding parts.
Best is custom thin framed full glass doors in front or one large glass door. As much view inside as possible.

No.3 I would leave door no.3 out and when you are bold enough also would remove the part i crossed out. Up to the point where the slope of the roof start. The cabinet wall plus the remaining small part under sloped roof are strong enough to support your attic space.
This way the small room will become part of your main room and a more direct view (plus natural light) into it. Much nicer for some glass display cabinets along the long wall with spotlights above them.

No.4 In the left corner of main room there is still enough room for one very large square and tall display case. With your favorite 1/3 e.g.

I am not good in picking colors
Goodluck and have some fun with it.
Awesome pic, thanks for that!

1. We think alike! That was exactly my plan. Nothing too expensive. Was thinking of something like the IKEA Hemnes: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/hemnes-...rown-00339218/

2. The closet is about 30" deep. Your suggestions are great, but I'm also trying to limit costs. It was hard to source 7' long shelves that were deeper than 20", all while keeping costs reasonable. Yeah, I'd like deeper, but I'll probably put more of the shallower pieces in there (mostly from my earlier collecting days).

Same with the doors. I'd love a fuller view than the french doors I found, so I'll have to investigate/price glass doors. Cool suggestion! Hadn't really considered full glass - maybe I just assumed the cost would be too high?

3. I considered taking out that corner or at least moving the door to that side initially (it's going to be impossible to get some boxes through that door without breaking them down, as it's narrower than typical). However, the slanted ceiling you see due to the gable end of the house turns into a double gable (so narrower interior) right at that storage closet. So the opening (or doorway) would be angled in the top left corner. Great suggestion - I wish I posted this earlier - but at this point I think I'm done with the demo work. I appreciate you taking the time to offer a suggestion on it!

4. You're right - very good idea. That will probably be at the end of my list, as I can figure that out when everything else is done.

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2024, 05:40 PM   #15
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
I have seen some pics on here where people had there statue room painted a sage color, which looked nice.

I think that you plan sounds good. The only thing is the third pic with that storage closet. My friend has a house that has one of those weird types of closets like you do is trying to decide what to do with that space. I wonder how much statue viewing would be able to taken advantage of if you did place statues there? I think it would be a shame to use that space for box storage but unfortunately with this hobby, we need to find that type of storage.
Now do you have a lot of books? Maybe put shelving up to display your hardbacks and trades?
I painted my nephew's room that color. I don't like it. BUT, I haven't seen it in a collector's room as you claim. Do you happen to have a link?

You're right, it is a little awkward. Ideally, any shelving would be against the tall wall, but then most people would have to hunch over while walking through. And the lights are about a foot from the tall wall - so better lighting overhead. So I guess some shorter shelving against the smaller wall would be better, but that cuts down on what and how much can be displayed.

I have very few books. Couple dozen comics. Plan to get the Berzerk manga volumes. Some other hardback video game encyclopedia volumes (Zelda, etc.), latest LOTR hardback volume. So not much, but I hadn't figured where to put them yet.
Old 03-30-2024, 05:58 PM   #16
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
As I have little in the way of design or build skills, so I can't offer much. All I will say is lighting, lighting, lighting. Don't skimp or get lazy with it. Looking forward to the progression! Show me where that completed Gladiator kit will go
But what do you recommend regarding the lighting?

My plan changed somewhat. The closet had the same 4' fluorescent that the storage closet (x2) had. I initially was planning to just replace it with the 4' LED, but since I was adding shelves AND making them all deeper, I knew there would be too much shadow. So, definitely need to add a light to the other two shelving sections. I was at Home Depot today looking at 4' lights, but the lumens might be overkill. I've never had experience with LED strip lights. Didn't think that would be bright enough.

Don't know yet about Gladiator. Do you happen to know how tall yours is (did I ask before)? I got dimensions for all my other statues when I was in the planning stage, but don't have that one since it's not built.

Getting an airbrush and using it, is up next after home renovation! Hoping to get after it by Fall... I'm starting to accumulate some wishlist customization projects!
Old 03-30-2024, 06:15 PM   #17
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
But what do you recommend regarding the lighting?

My plan changed somewhat. The closet had the same 4' fluorescent that the storage closet (x2) had. I initially was planning to just replace it with the 4' LED, but since I was adding shelves AND making them all deeper, I knew there would be too much shadow. So, definitely need to add a light to the other two shelving sections. I was at Home Depot today looking at 4' lights, but the lumens might be overkill. I've never had experience with LED strip lights. Didn't think that would be bright enough.

Don't know yet about Gladiator. Do you happen to know how tall yours is (did I ask before)? I got dimensions for all my other statues when I was in the planning stage, but don't have that one since it's not built.

Getting an airbrush and using it, is up next after home renovation! Hoping to get after it by Fall... I'm starting to accumulate some wishlist customization projects!
Gladiator is about 29" tall, he's not really in an easy place for me to measure, but you'd definitely be fine at 30" of space.

This is all personal preference of course, but....

All statues should have dedicated lighting. Meaning don't just depend on you room light or corner floor lamp to do the lighting for you.

If your statues are in cabinets it's pretty easy, install downward facing lights along the inside top of each shelf. If your statues are on top of cabinets, at the very least install upward facing lighting all the along the top edge. If you know how to install/wire fancier spot lighting from the ceiling, even better.

My glass component shelves I struggle with the most. I think one could wire small upward facing spots in the front corners of each, and then do some fancy wire management along the support arm and eventually to a plug... one day, one day. For now I use battery operated remote controlled pucks.

Obviously only use LED's. I use dimmable everywhere, and have everything on remote control for on/off AND dimming. Cool white vs warm white, and puck vs strips? Depends. I use all, depending on application.

Last edited by SDguy; 03-30-2024 at 06:35 PM.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 06:32 PM   #18
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
I have seen some pics on here where people had there statue room painted a sage color, which looked nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
I painted my nephew's room that color. I don't like it.
Does this count as Sage? Maybe too dark

IcedDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 07:22 PM   #19
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

that does look like a sage-y color
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 07:54 PM   #20
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
Does this count as Sage? Maybe too dark

Yeah, not bad. Though it does look like a dark grey...