Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2018, 01:40 PM   #1
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I think I'm done

I think I am just about done with statues. It was fun while it lasted but it is too expensive of a hobby for me. I love them, and I'm sure everyone says it, but it is time for now to sell what I have and focus on other stuff. Living in Canada has proved to be especially tough. For example a "cheaper" Sideshow statue is 599. Right off the top that is about $765 Cdn. After taxes, shipping, customs fees, it is easily $1k. For a cheaper statue. I'm looking at what else I can do with that money like get myself a 4k TV or a PS4 or hell, a new coffee maker or microwave or any number of things I keep putting off that would actually probably bring me more happiness than my collection does recently.

Hopefully I can come back when either I make more money or prices have calmed down due to over inflation.

I will still be waiting for #SideshowSurfer2019 though.

Anyone else successfully get out? And is for some reason still posting here?
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
Mister H
Green Goblin

Best of luck J. Hope you stick around here though.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #3
Y3E
Gen 13

I am definitely slowing down. Soon I maybe out. Many factors and yeah, pricing is one of them. The second factor is space. Although I have ample room to display my statues, I don't for the boxes. Not unless I have the boxes stored in the open, which I won't.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #4
MrJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Best of luck J. Hope you stick around here though.
Thanks I appreciate that! This is my only forum I post on so I hope to hang around too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
I am definitely slowing down. Soon I maybe out. Many factors and yeah, pricing is one of them. The second factor is space. Although I have ample room to display my statues, I don't for the boxes. Not unless I have the boxes stored in the open, which I won't.
I had already started to slow down but that last Thanos on Throne killed me. Don't get me wrong - I love it and it is one I am keeping... but what the hell... 2k on a collectible? LOL... that is SO MUCH MONEY.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

I've slowed down and focus more on 1/6 scale. A 1/4 scale really has to blow me away to buy.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #6
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
Thanks I appreciate that! This is my only forum I post on so I hope to hang around too.

I had already started to slow down but that last Thanos on Throne killed me. Don't get me wrong - I love it and it is one I am keeping... but what the hell... 2k on a collectible? LOL... that is SO MUCH MONEY.
It's death by a thousand cuts on a slippery slope.

You make that first purchase for a few dollars and it becomes easier and easier to justify. Then you become increasingly desensitized to it and the same with the increases.
People blame company greed but this is truly what has allowed prices and production volume to get to where it is coupled with the ever present imagined potential to "cash out".

It's just too easy to lose track of what you're really doing and both the intrinsic and personal value of the statues as well as the alternatives the same money can obtain.

There is a previous version of yourself that would have slapped you silly even at the idea of spending 2K on that Thanos statue.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #7
MrJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
It's death by a thousand cuts on a slippery slope.

You make that first purchase for a few dollars and it becomes easier and easier to justify. Then you become increasingly desensitized to it and the same with the increases.
People blame company greed but this is truly what has allowed prices and production volume to get to where it is coupled with the ever present imagined potential to "cash out".

It's just too easy to lose track of what you're really doing and both the intrinsic and personal value of the statues as well as the alternatives the same money can obtain.

There is a previous version of yourself that would have slapped you silly even at the idea of spending 2K on that Thanos statue.
You are 100% correct. I only started collecting about 5 years ago because they were too much money. Then my wife (girlfriend at the time) bought me a few for Christmas. Then I bought a couple Bowens for like $300. Then $500 on a Sideshow Then $800 on a Sideshow (both in hand at a comic store). Now IF comic stores even carry them in my area they are all $1k minimum. And like you said, a not so much younger version of myself would have slapped me for spending 2k on the Thanos. So I'm calling it quits. Prices are only going up because people keep buying them. I'm not blaming them at all either, it's just simply a hobby that has gotten too expensive. And being a passive participant really isn't as much fun. Knowing that I just won't be buying more statues makes me like the ones I have less. Weird right? Knowing I won't be getting new ones takes the fun out of 50% of the hobby, the anticipation, the pre order, delivery day, opening up the box for the first time, all of that is 50% of the fun if not more.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:14 PM   #8
Mister H
Green Goblin

So are you selling all your statues?
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:53 PM   #9
protector2814
Phoenix

Haven't purchased a statue since Bowen closed up shop. His Dracula & Frankenstein's Monster were my last two. I have, what I'd call a decent collection of, now, old-stuff. & I still very much enjoy seeing them all displayed in my office (100+ Bowen/Sideshow/etc...). But ... no way was I going to start spending "silly money" on this hobby. I have/had tuitions to pay, adjusted to a 15, other things I needed more dough for. I just could never justify $500+ statues. IF, Randy comes back & starts up again, I'll consider getting my feet wet again, but only if his prices make sense. I don't miss it.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:12 PM   #10
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
You are 100% correct. I only started collecting about 5 years ago because they were too much money. Then my wife (girlfriend at the time) bought me a few for Christmas. Then I bought a couple Bowens for like $300. Then $500 on a Sideshow Then $800 on a Sideshow (both in hand at a comic store). Now IF comic stores even carry them in my area they are all $1k minimum. And like you said, a not so much younger version of myself would have slapped me for spending 2k on the Thanos. So I'm calling it quits. Prices are only going up because people keep buying them. I'm not blaming them at all either, it's just simply a hobby that has gotten too expensive. And being a passive participant really isn't as much fun. Knowing that I just won't be buying more statues makes me like the ones I have less. Weird right? Knowing I won't be getting new ones takes the fun out of 50% of the hobby, the anticipation, the pre order, delivery day, opening up the box for the first time, all of that is 50% of the fun if not more.
It's not logical but it makes sense from experience.
Everything is about change. You're either speeding up or slowing down not coasting at the same speed.
Like with Bowen when a line or company stops it's sell, sell, sell just because nothing new is coming.
Then it takes a while for new people to come in that can still be on the gaining phase of their collection to get things on an upward trend again. For there to be a present there has to be a past AND a future.
That's how you figure out the few pieces that are truly meaningful to you in a collection.
Upcoming pieces actually make your current collection more appealing.

As far as alternatives, if someone replaced a $1,500 TV every year we'd call them nuts but we throw the same cash on statues that literally do nothing every single year.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote