Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 05-08-2005, 08:21 AM   #1
LarsAnders77
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Difference Between.....

Hi

Whats the difference between SS and that new gray sculpting compound, sounds to me like it's very much the same, only Gray compound is more expensive.

Thanks

Lars
LarsAnders77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 12:30 PM   #2
JohnCleary
Sculptor
Sculptor

Well the gray comes in a firm version which makes it excellant for sculpting and holding it's shape without getting messed up too bad from handling. Alot of times fresh super sculpey is just way to soft to use very well without leeching. And if you over leech you will take out too much plasticiser in the SS and it will become brittle and unusable. I learned that the hard way. The gray also makes seeing detail alot easier and just looks very nice.

You can tint super sculpey with sculpey III but that stuff is usually very soft and once it's mixed you may want to leech the clay a bit to make it firmer. SS is cool though and if you have no problem mixing then go for it.

Price wise, If you buy the gray in bulk 6 blocks you get each bar for only $8.39. My local craft stores all sell regular SS for 9.99 a pound and then you have to buy some sculpey III for a couple of bucks to tint it. So for value it's alot better for me personally to go with the gray compund. No mixing colors, no leeching, no fuss. Just sculpt.

hope that helps.
JohnCleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 03:51 PM   #3
LarsAnders77

Thanks a lot, it sounds like i should try the grey stuff. I can't agree more about the seeing detail in SS is hard. By the way, what is leeching, i'm from denmark and that word isn't in my dictionary i'm afraid. Can you bake the grey stuff like SS?
Old 05-08-2005, 03:53 PM   #4
Ghost
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I've also wondered what leeching means. I've read about it alot, and I kinda think I know what it is, but would like to hear from you guys out there.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 04:07 PM   #5
JohnCleary
Sculptor
Sculptor

Leeching means you are removing some of the plasticiser which is what makes the clay soft. After you leech the clay it firms it up so it's easier to use and hold it's shape.

You leech the clay by taking a pasta machine or rolling pin and roll flat pieces of clay real thin, you then lay your clay on a piece of copy paper and then you lay another sheet on top of it. Then you put some heavy books ontop of that. You should do this early in the day or late at night. I have found that 10 or so hours does the trick for me. Alot of people leech overnight. You may have to experiment depending on how soft your SS is. The thinner the clay the faster it will leech. When you go to take the paper off the clay you will see stains on the top and bottom paper where some of the plasticier has been removed. You then simply condition the clay and it's ready to use.

Hope that explains it ok.

Lars - yes you bake the gray clay just like SS.

Good luck!
JohnCleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 04:45 PM   #6
Ghost
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Thanks JC, I've notice that happen before. No wonder I have all those stains in my sketch book!
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:51 AM   #7
LarsAnders77

Thanks a lot i'll try that, i've also seen the stains but on my wood furniture!! Oops!