Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 04-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #11
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
I don't read Archie, but I always assumed that these books were either alternate universe stuff or just "What If?" type stories. I also think they're aimed at older Archie readers. It's kind of like Marvel's line of "The End" books where they choose a title and tell you the character's "last" story. I mean, the Double Digest and Betty and Veronica books are still around, aren't they? Or are these books all that's available now? I'll say that Archie is really good toilet reading material though.
They are, yeah. I know this is all meant to be alt-universe stuff, but the way it was marketed I think attracted kids too--especially girls like mine, who wanted to see who Archie would marry. But then it took this very dark turn where Mr. Lodge is a maniac and everyone dies or divorces or whatever, and it just went south.

In short, I think this is more a failure in marketing than in writing. I'm cool with the apocalyptic alt-future stuff, but I think in marketing the idea that "Archie pops the question!" or "Archie dies!", you're polluting the central source from which all the storylines flow. Maybe it's just me.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #12
protector2814
Phoenix

Got it .... read it. Not so good. Like Archie Gets Married, this issue went back to the ole' well & was presented as a "Cross-roads" piece. Lots of retrospective "what-if?" & "remember when" situations that left me wondering if the whole death thing wasn't a what-if on its own. Left me wondering why a finale issue has a follow up issue coming in a month. Mediocre plot, mediocre death, imo, created to cause buzz in an oddly big-buzzed comic week (Thor as a gal, Cap changing to Sam). I think many of us were semi-right & calling these new Archie books, even though I'm still crazy about Afterlife, impossible to miss gimmick books. It's starting to dawn on me that after 70+ years on mainstay, happy, pleasant, under-the-radar life in Riverdale Archie stories ... of-course people are going to eat up death, zombies, Betty or Veronica settled, etc... stories set in the universe. Other than Afterlife & maybe Sabrina, I think I'm going back to the digests.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #13
Babytoxie
Ghost

Does this build out of the Archie marries Betty/Veronica storylines, or is it a separate story?
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:55 PM   #14
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

It builds out of the 'Married' Stories.. I haven't read those completely, but i enjoyed this walk down memory lane ( pun intended for those who read the Marries books ) .. that said, you don't need to know what happened there as much. I picked the Adam Hughes Cover.
Dunno if i'll continue though, i guess i dont' wanna read books abt ppl reminiscing abt him.
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:11 PM   #15
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Zombie Archie is possible then?
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #16
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Zombie Archie is possible then?