Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 04-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #21
Y3E
Gen 13

I'm sure if the studios wanted to, they could make a really good comic book constume translation to the screen and I agree the comic costume in the first Cap movie was made to look cheesy. It would have been cool to see Wolverine wear the brown and orange costume we saw in the suitcase at the end of his last movie. For the movie version of Cap's costume, it makes sense that he has a helmet and for me it looks good with the wings.

I disagree that the movie costume version was a perfect fail though. Yes, it failed that it did not look like the comic book version but they weren't supposed to. Admittedly, some of the movie costume were not the best, X-men black leather look could have been better. Jean's red outfit was blah as well.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #22
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

To clarify, I'm not saying that all comic book movie uniforms have been perfect fails. The 'near perfect fail' was directed to the genre as a whole and its seeming disregard/misinterpretation/just flat out messing costumes of canon. All the points about practicality, budget, the "community" being a small sector in the films' overall demographic etc. taken into account, I feel that things could be done better. One guy's opinion, nothing more.

As for Cap in specific, I really liked his FA costume ..... from the front. It could have been a little bit more form fitting as depicted in the concept art, but it was a pretty impressive outfit overall. As with the Avengers suit though, the designers seem to have just stopped somewhere around the side of the of him. The lack of star and stripes at the rear of the costume render him "not Captain America" to me. He's just a dude in a blue set of army fatigues. Ruins the illusion.

It's a similar effect, even after so many movies, to seeing Hugh Jackman head to toe in an X-Men flick. Wolverine disappears because Hugh's so tall. He doesn't fit the mental image that's rooted to your primal brain.

As for the helmet, I think they've done a good job to date. I can see why the designers wouldn't go for the all out wings on Cap's helmet. That would prove really tricky to get right without being laughable. The paint-ons, however, do flatten the helmet. I always pictured something like an embossed version as a good compromise. Give the wings some separation from the helmet, but not enough to look unreal. The latest pics seem to have semi-addressed this, as the wings appear to be on a secondary layer of leather, giving them some lift.

I do think though, that a really good costume designer could come up with something akin to the hood ornament from a luxury car to fulfill the full wing treatment. ....... Actually, I think I'll go model that in 3D and get back to you. BRB
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #23
adee
Green Arrow

I dunno if Cap can get away with wearing those red pirate boots on the big screen.

I think some liberties have to be taken but agree sometimes they take it to far.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:35 PM   #24
Mad4Busts
Husband-Father-Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
I dunno if Cap can get away with wearing those red pirate boots on the big screen.

I think some liberties have to be taken but agree sometimes they take it to far.
Mad4Busts is offline   Reply With Quote