Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 04-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #11
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal-el View Post
Joe:
I miss my Brubaker Cap and my Bendis Avengers. We didn't know how good we had it till it was gone.
You are so right on both counts.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #12
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

better shots have surfaced:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=51947

wings are just painted/carved into the helmet again
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #13
Dark-Flux
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Prefer the wings to be painted on myself. Some things just dont translate well to live action and the wings are are one of them imo.
Prefer the chin strap to the cowl as well.
Dark-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #14
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Meh.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #15
Mad4Busts
Husband-Father-Collector

Sorry but I disagree. Cap's classic costume in the comics is great, but I don't want to see that in the movie. In CA:TFA when he was in the comic version of the costume, it looked horrible...absolutely horrible. I honestly believe they did that to show how bad it translates to real world.

WKTF, I say this, while being, a long-time Cap fan. I am a Gruenwald fanatic, his run on CA is still one of my faves of all-time. Waid's run another...

I will say that I really liked the costume design on Hickman's Steve Rogers book, maybe that is why I am more of a fan of the design they have for the movies.
Mad4Busts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #16
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

The "original" costume in CA:TFA was made to look foolish deliberately, as it would have looked had it been made in the forties. It was cheesy by design. This by no means proves that something close to Cap's classic uniform can't be approximated on film. The studio just chose to go in a different direction. I believe it is possible to faithfully get close to many superhero costumes without them looking stupid, but the general consensus in Hollywood is to "improve" on their look..... with a near perfect fail rate.
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:07 PM   #17
Mad4Busts
Husband-Father-Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKni9hT View Post
The "original" costume in CA:TFA was made to look foolish deliberately, as it would have looked had it been made in the forties. It was cheesy by design. This by no means proves that something close to Cap's classic uniform can't be approximated on film. The studio just chose to go in a different direction. I believe it is possible to faithfully get close to many superhero costumes without them looking stupid, but the general consensus in Hollywood is to "improve" on their look..... with a near perfect fail rate.
I have never heard a proclamation so far off in my life.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #18
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

How so? Apart from Iron Man and Spiderman, which Superhero costumes have hit the mark? Batman has gone through various stages of black rubber and stiff necks. Daredevil looked like he was on the way home from a fetish leather fest. The X-Men have never even neared their comic book look (maybe a little in First Class). The latest Superman looked liked he made his costume out of basketballs. In both First Avenger and Avengers, Cap looks like he's wearing pajamas. Green Lantern...I can't even talk about that movie. Where are the faithful representations?

The villains have fared no better. Galactus was a cloud for God's sake. Scarecrow' costume is a burlap sack. Bullseye even cried out for a costume in DD .... and never got one.

A few of the costumes that have been in the hero flicks have been pretty cool, but for the most part, they look nothing like their paper counterparts, when they easily could. So, no, I don't think I'm that far off the mark.
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #19
Mad4Busts
Husband-Father-Collector

You are wanting to be right on two different points and you are not right on one of them.
You are correct in that, most movie costumes differ from the comic versions.
you are wrong in a "near perfect fail rate" that the movie versions are not an improvement.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #20
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Both of you should just accept that you have differences of opinion.