Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 04-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #11
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
I agree. IMO, the only real good one was "The Dark Knight".
I really liked Batman Begins, as well. Dark Knight Rising isn't even worth renting.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:19 AM   #12
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I really liked Batman Begins, as well. Dark Knight Rising isn't even worth renting.
Ditto. BB and TDK were both amazing films.

DKR...I could never get over Bane's voice enough to actually enjoy the movie
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:31 AM   #13
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I enjoyed Batman Begins, just not as much as The Dark Knight which I thought was really good. The issue I had with Batman Begins and also DKR was the whole villains "goals".
Old 04-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #14
protector2814
Phoenix

There was a time in my collecting past where the lion's share of my weekly pull was DC books. I'm not sure what happened ... but Marvel started pulling ahead. I loved Bronce age DC, back when I was collecting in the 70's. Their titles like Brave & The Bold, the "Family" giant-sizers, the great War books & horror titles were just the best. The great Green Lantern stories of the 80's & 90's, The Original Crises, Teen Titans, The Dark Knight, & others kept me hooked for 20 more years ... Now, and since the New 52, I just don't know what's going on. How many Superboys? Supergirls? Wonder women origins?, dead folks around Batman? Re-introductions between heroes that wipe out all the other introductions between the same heroes? etc... I just gave up.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #15
Mad4Busts
Husband-Father-Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
I see the topic labeled "My personal take on why DC doesn't connect with me."

I read the topic and see give me some "initial feedback" before I tell you my reasons.

good topic
Mad4Busts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #16
Mad4Busts
Husband-Father-Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahman View Post
I'll be the disagreement vote.. i think you are not reading the right DC Books.

You don't want to read abt the gods, Read Gotham Central, read Brubaker's run on Catwoman.
You say, Batman doesn't count, .. Please check Grant Morrison's JLA, Rucka's WW stuff, Geoff Johns' Action Comics or GL, even the Teen titans Run, Robinson's Starman, Goyer and Robinson's JSA stuff, The Blue Beetle Jaimie Reyes stuff, there's so much hidden stuff that reads fabulous today. I could go on, but it's just about reading the right books by the Good creators, rather than having such general feelings.
I know this is something i faced, coz i was all "i'm a DC boy, marvel sucks" and today, I think Marvel is doing better than DC, and the answer to that is the creators / creative staff. DC is alienating them, and Marvel is embracing them.
I have read some of these...the problem is still that I don't stick around for the characters! I am following creators but that leads to my feeling on their books.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:56 AM   #17
Mad4Busts
Husband-Father-Collector

I am not a zombie for Marvel. I have tried again and again to follow DC characters but they won't stick. I can't maintain allegiance. When reading DC books I am following creators (writers mainly) NOT characters and that seems to be the main issue for me because it means that this creator (writers mainly) could be telling the same story with any character (minus/plus a few tweaks). That is NOT a slam on the writer but more of nitpick on the character he is writing having no charisma (IMO) or draw for me to stay once this particular writer leaves. Great example, GL...when Johns left I tried for a few issues and could not stay interested.

On a Marvel book I am with a character 100% and waiting to see what different creators do with this character's personality and lore. I am huge fan of Wolverine and Punisher...I stay with those characters through most creators to see where my character is going to be taken. One caveat, when any one writer is so bad that I can't stand what's going on...I seek that same character out in another book just to keep having some sort of a monthly dose of that character. Great example here, Wolverine...I can't stand what is happening in his book so i read about him in a team book or his other solo book.

I truly believe this lends to a more loyal following for that particular publisher and why I think DC doesn't connect with me.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #18
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4Busts View Post
I was just messing with you bud. Just found it to be a funny observation about the topic
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:58 PM   #19
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4Busts View Post
I am not a zombie for Marvel. I have tried again and again to follow DC characters but they won't stick. I can't maintain allegiance. When reading DC books I am following creators (writers mainly) NOT characters and that seems to be the main issue for me because it means that this creator (writers mainly) could be telling the same story with any character (minus/plus a few tweaks). That is NOT a slam on the writer but more of nitpick on the character he is writing having no charisma (IMO) or draw for me to stay once this particular writer leaves. Great example, GL...when Johns left I tried for a few issues and could not stay interested.

On a Marvel book I am with a character 100% and waiting to see what different creators do with this character's personality and lore. I am huge fan of Wolverine and Punisher...I stay with those characters through most creators to see where my character is going to be taken. One caveat, when any one writer is so bad that I can't stand what's going on...I seek that same character out in another book just to keep having some sort of a monthly dose of that character. Great example here, Wolverine...I can't stand what is happening in his book so i read about him in a team book or his other solo book.

I truly believe this lends to a more loyal following for that particular publisher and why I think DC doesn't connect with me.
What's the story behind your avatar? Is Superman an exception?
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:59 AM   #20
Mad4Busts
Husband-Father-Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
What's the story behind your avatar? Is Superman an exception?
It was a statue from DC direct of Superman holding the original Supergirl. The cover of Crisis #7 (I think, without looking it up). I just thought out of context, Superman looks to be..err, reaching a happy ending?

No, he is not the exception. BUT, I did say that DC characters design (the look) are incredible and always have been, they look like superheroes so I love their imagery, just not their tales. If I had to pick a DC character that I try to read over and over again it would be Batman. I did read GL, GLC for Johns & Tomasi's entire runs.