Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > Aussies

Old 10-24-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
blink90210
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Ken's Awesome Armageddon Art-haul

Well you guys were very patient with me (or you completely forgot), but I finally got my hands on a camera so I can now bring you my hauls from this year's Armageddon.
A little bit of story just to build up the suspense first . So I was there both days, my friend and I got there about 10minutes after doors opened. Surprisingly there was quite a long line and it took us about a half hour to actually step into the convention centre. After a quick hello to our LCS, we went straight to the international artists. We were maybe 10th in line, and remember it was about an hour into the con. Last year we were maybe 20th from the door, we went straight to the Lee line when we got in and we were still about 30 back from the front.
So I made a request with Sin-kev-itch and Clark, the former said it'd be ready either at the end of the day or tomorrow, the later said definately the next day. I was able to get some autographs on my books and I gotta say, I love how Rucka personalises things (eg. on my copy of 52 #1, he wrote "Hey Ken, it's a start" and on the Batwoman Detective issue, "She kicks ALL the ass"). We walked around for about an hour, went back to our LCS who said local artists Chamba and H! were somewhere so I thought we'd check them out. They were very reasonably priced so I put a request down, he said he'd do it tonight and it'd be ready tomorrow morning. The final sketch I got was from Ben Stenbeck, I actually made the request on the second day about 10minutes after doors opened, I wasn't sure whether I really wanted one from him but I'm sure you'll agree that it was worth it (he was also very reasonably priced). So without further ado, here they are...

Clark actually used a purple pencil to do the shading, not sure if you can tell. So a bit of a trade-off I guess, some guys got a bust shot, I get colour.

Chamba draws the Street Fighter II Turbo comic through Udon, he also has a deviantart page if you're interested http://lastscionz.deviantart.com/
blink90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
blink90210

I could only post 4 pics at a time apparently so here's the last one I got, on the last day.

I didn't actually realise that Mike Mignola designed the Batman Animated Mr. Freeze so I guess I picked a suitable character.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
67wm
The Flash

nice additions Ken! That Huntress really stands out for me
67wm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
blink90210

I wasn't sure who to pick for Clark to sketch, to be honest, I wasn't his hugest fan of his work on Outsiders and wasn't blown away the covers on the Huntress mini. My sketch theme is the Bat-family as you can tell, I was tossing up between Huntress and Poison Ivy, don't know why I went with Huntress in the end but I think he did an excellent job. And the purple really does make it stand out more then that scan shows.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
blink90210

Some more stuff to feast your eyes on.

My only pick up last year. I kinda regret not hitting up JJ Kirby and Joel Gomez for sketches but $100 seemed like so much money back then.

Absolute bargain at AUS$10, I'm not sure if Amanda Connor knew what the conversion rate was! I was second in line behind my friend, we didn't even have to wait long to queue up. One of my favourites in my (small) collection, I think it really captures the character and the artist.

I requested a half Bruce half Batman from Timm since his Batman look is so iconic and as soon as I requested this, quite a few people behind me also requested the same. So yeah, I like to think I started a trend. Funnily, I took this to my friends at the LCS vendor stand and they were like "wow, composite Superman/Batman!"
Old 10-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
fred flintstone
Jedi Order

awesome stuff Ken
we need to fuel your addiction
you have found the right place
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:45 PM   #7
Rocket
Art of Mod

Brilliant Ken!!!

Congrats mate!!

I too was stunned when chatting to Amanda Conner!!

She had no line, we spoke for 30 minutes or so (and with Palmiotti) and I couldn't believe what she was charging!!

Such a shame I wasn't collecting art back then!!
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:15 PM   #8
blink90210

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred flintstone View Post
awesome stuff Ken
we need to fuel your addiction
you have found the right place
Hmm...maybe joining SF was not such a good idea...
Oh I totally forgot I have a Jason Badower Joker and Nicola Scott Wonder Woman, both headshots. Those ones I'll post up a little later in the week.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
Alex655321
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Nice haul Ken !!!

All look great but Robin really looks really cool with the slight coloring to it !
Alex655321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:06 PM   #10
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Great start to the collection Ken!
Wrothy is offline   Reply With Quote