Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 04-22-2017, 05:44 PM   #1
Gecktechs
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Kotobukiya HELP!

Sup guys. QUESTION: How is the quality on Koto products? Specifically their Fine Art line. (Paint, weight, material) Also, how limited are the edition sizes?

*Reason I'm asking*
The rising price for quarter scale statues has me heavily considering moving into 1/6.. (Statues, not figures) They'd be easier to display, easier to store, and a lot cheaper. Right now I have my eyes on Vision from the Fine Art series by Erick Sosa. I really dig the museum pose and it seems to be fairly detailed. Not to mention an awesome concept showing him travel through debris. Erick has an announcement for his own 1/6 Marvel line coming soon too, so this might be the perfect time to make the transition. Let me know what you guys think, and deff let me know how Koto is! Thanks!

Gecktechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:59 PM   #2
Shonks
Frackin!

Pro: The Koto Sculpts are amazing, Erick does an outstanding job and the line is expanding, they recently announced that the number produced is going up considerably.

Also you aren't locked into just Koto, there are a number of other companies that make 1/6ths and old pieces are generally pretty affordable.

team building potential. With this scale you can collect whole teams with limited display space.

Cons: the paint jobs are very basic on some of the Koto pieces. Varies piece to piece but if you are expecting old sideshow/XM quality paint apps you will be let down by this line. Don't get me wrong I get most of them still but it's something to be aware of. Generally speaking the Bowen Designs 1/6th had better paint jobs but both lines are similar enough that most people mix and match them together
Shonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:35 PM   #3
Primus
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I agree, while I find the Koto fine arts pieces sculpts are phenomenal and the price points reasonable the paint apps are very lack luster. Eric Sosa has his own marvel line unveiling this summer witch should be interesting. But mainly I've been increasing my Bowen line as in my opinion are still the best 1/6 out there with overall quality and diversity with marvel characters that no other company has done.
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:28 AM   #4
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Yeah...I'd go Bowen if I were you, but Koto's good too. Both roughly the same scale and display well together. Paint apps are often shoddy when compared to Bowen, though. Not nearly as expansive of a roster, either.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:32 AM   #5
Gecktechs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonks View Post
Pro: The Koto Sculpts are amazing, Erick does an outstanding job and the line is expanding, they recently announced that the number produced is going up considerably.

Also you aren't locked into just Koto, there are a number of other companies that make 1/6ths and old pieces are generally pretty affordable.

team building potential. With this scale you can collect whole teams with limited display space.

Cons: the paint jobs are very basic on some of the Koto pieces. Varies piece to piece but if you are expecting old sideshow/XM quality paint apps you will be let down by this line. Don't get me wrong I get most of them still but it's something to be aware of. Generally speaking the Bowen Designs 1/6th had better paint jobs but both lines are similar enough that most people mix and match them together
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus View Post
I agree, while I find the Koto fine arts pieces sculpts are phenomenal and the price points reasonable the paint apps are very lack luster. Eric Sosa has his own marvel line unveiling this summer witch should be interesting. But mainly I've been increasing my Bowen line as in my opinion are still the best 1/6 out there with overall quality and diversity with marvel characters that no other company has done.
Thanks for the insight you guys, really appreciate it. I always loved that you can display TEAMS of characters with 1/6 scale. It makes for a really nice display. One of my favorite set ups of all time was this dudes Bowen Spiderman Collection. He had almost every villain I could think of, displayed with a custom backdrop. It looked fantastic!

In regards to your points about paint, I don't think I'll be chasing the older Bowen pieces for that exact reason. With the announcement of Sosa's new Marvel Line coming, I think I'll just wait to collect those and maybe a few of his Koto's. He's already my favorite sculptor and from the look of his 1/6 Ryu (pic below), I don't think there will be anything flat about the paint on his upcoming Marvel statues. Everything he's revealed thus far seems really detailed too. Vision included! He has these fine details on the green part of the costume that I feel wouldn't have been there in the "Bowen days"

I honestly think this might be the best move for me. I barley have a bedroom anymore! It's filled to the ceiling with boxes >.> haha, Thanks again for your posts guys!

Old 04-24-2017, 02:46 AM   #6
ReplicantSavior

I love the Koto Fine Art statues sculpted by Erick. I own a few and they are the best versions of the heroes I like. The edition sizes have been going up but when they sell out, like many statues the prices jump.

Some have paint issues but I guess I got lucky. Or I'm a bit more forgiving because of the price.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:16 PM   #7
Philintheblank

I'm not sure if switching to 1/6 will solve your storage issues, but you'll be able to pack more in. Yeah, I don't blame you...I wouldn't be surprised if there's a 1/6 boom within the next 5-10 years for the very reasons you're thinking about making the switch.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:53 PM   #8
Gecktechs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
I love the Koto Fine Art statues sculpted by Erick. I own a few and they are the best versions of the heroes I like. The edition sizes have been going up but when they sell out, like many statues the prices jump.

Some have paint issues but I guess I got lucky. Or I'm a bit more forgiving because of the price.
Yeah man, Erick is probably one of my favorite sculptors right now. I really like his style. I have a feeling that paint quality on upcoming 1/6 statues from both Erick (prototypez) and Koto will improve tremendously tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
I'm not sure if switching to 1/6 will solve your storage issues, but you'll be able to pack more in. Yeah, I don't blame you...I wouldn't be surprised if there's a 1/6 boom within the next 5-10 years for the very reasons you're thinking about making the switch.
For sure. It'll be a hard transition but I think it needs to be done. And I think the boom will be sooner than 5-10 years. Maybe, (hopefully) 5-10 months! lol

Although its part of the reason, money isn't the MAIN concern, space is really what has me rethinking everything. Companies are moving into 1/3 and 1/2 and I just can't handle that.. The few 1/4's I have right NOW take up a lot of room. Can't imagine another 3-4 years of collecting them. 1/6 Would allow me to keep collecting for a few more years.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:02 AM   #9
Philintheblank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecktechs View Post

For sure. It'll be a hard transition but I think it needs to be done. And I think the boom will be sooner than 5-10 years. Maybe, (hopefully) 5-10 months! lol
Yeah...I have some catching up to do. I'm cool if it drags for a couple of years.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:04 AM   #10
Gecktechs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
Yeah...I have some catching up to do. I'm cool if it drags for a couple of years.
lmao, It's actually not too bad for me. When I started about 2 years ago, I found that there were a LOT of amazing 1/4 statues I wanted to catch up on. Spiderman/Venom Comiquettes, OG Captain America PF, etc.. But now that I'm trying to make this transition to 1/6 - It's more of a waiting game. Haven't really seen a lot of "OG - must haves" in 1/6. Maybe the Koto Fine Art Magneto, but Sosa already confirmed Mags is in the pipeline for the new Marvel 1/6 line he's announcing soon. I'm just gonna play the waiting game for now. Whats your favorite 1/6 piece right now?