Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2015, 04:36 AM   #11
majestic1
Green Lantern Corps
Adamantium Member

Maybe Sideshow have lost the Age of Ultron license after that first full body shot of the Vision was leaked by them a few months ago, Marvel/Disney must have been pissed at Sideshow for that blunder.
majestic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:32 AM   #12
FearlessJay
Hellboy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestic1 View Post
Maybe Sideshow have lost the Age of Ultron license after that first full body shot of the Vision was leaked by them a few months ago, Marvel/Disney must have been pissed at Sideshow for that blunder.
Oh, I missed that! Were they planning a vision statue or PF? That would have been killer!

Agree though, they seem to have lost the license... along with Amazing Spider-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, now Age of Ultron...

Feel I should have my tinfoil conspiracy hat on.
FearlessJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:55 PM   #13
Macethy
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessJay View Post
Oh, I missed that! Were they planning a vision statue or PF? That would have been killer!

Agree though, they seem to have lost the license... along with Amazing Spider-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, now Age of Ultron...

To be fair, not many of the other companies have been pumping out AOU pieces like I would have expected. Kotobukiya pretty much just has one Iron Man statue for the movie, with two smaller ARTfx+ pieces.
Macethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:26 PM   #14
FearlessJay
Hellboy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macethy View Post
To be fair, not many of the other companies have been pumping out AOU pieces like I would have expected. Kotobukiya pretty much just has one Iron Man statue for the movie, with two smaller ARTfx+ pieces.
And we circle back to why I started this thread!

Why is no one making Avengers AoU pieces? Hot toys is making figures, and Dragon is making models. Everyone else...? It's just odd.

And, to Sideshow's credit, they have put out an AoU War Machine... because that's the character everyone is talking about after they see the mov... I can't even joke. REALLY? War Machine, Sideshow? I like the character, but "Age of ULTRON" and that's your go-to first PF? Maybe third in line, but first?

Then again, at least they have something. Gentle Giant's silence is deafening.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:41 PM   #15
majestic1
Green Lantern Corps
Adamantium Member

Quote:

A Vision pic showed up online while Marvel/Disney were trying their best to keep his look a secret and it had Sideshows watermark on it.

Here's the pic

majestic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:52 PM   #16
FearlessJay
Hellboy
Adamantium Plus Member

^ Ouch! I bet Sideshow got a couple angry calls from the mouse that day.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:10 PM   #17
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macethy View Post
I'm sure if you go to your local Walmart you will find an endless supply of Ultron toys, masks, and lunchboxes. Maybe Disney/Marvel figure that's where the bigger profits are instead of trying to sell a "limited" number of statues? That's my thought anyway.
More than anything I believe this is true. Disney has far more to gain, far more control and reaches a vastly larger audience with this approach. Not to mention the timing for the production process is far more efficient. Anyone else still waiting for IM3 and TWS statue and prop product that has been solicited to be released? I am.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:57 AM   #18
FearlessJay
Hellboy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
More than anything I believe this is true. Disney has far more to gain, far more control and reaches a vastly larger audience with this approach. Not to mention the timing for the production process is far more efficient. Anyone else still waiting for IM3 and TWS statue and prop product that has been solicited to be released? I am.
I somewhat disagree. From my understanding, toy licenses are more of a partnership where both the manufacturer (Hasbro, etc) and Disney benefit mutually. When it comes to high-end collectibles, Marvel/Disney makes it's money off the sale of the license, and not the product produced.

With high-end collectibles, my understanding has always been the license is where the property's owner (in this case Disney) makes its money. Once a producer like Sideshow or GG buys the license, the majority of the money made (if not all the money) goes to them. Hence, collectible costs can rise because the license costs more to purchase.

This is why I'm so astounded by some of Sideshow's moves in the past year or so. They paid for the Guardians of the Galaxy license, paid for the Spidey license, and paid for the Age of Ultron license - yet, aside from War Machine, they've done nothing with them.

If anyone out there has a more in-depth understanding, please feel free to educate me!
Old 05-07-2015, 09:50 AM   #19
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
I somewhat disagree. From my understanding, toy licenses are more of a partnership where both the manufacturer (Hasbro, etc) and Disney benefit mutually. When it comes to high-end collectibles, Marvel/Disney makes it's money off the sale of the license, and not the product produced.

With high-end collectibles, my understanding has always been the license is where the property's owner (in this case Disney) makes its money. Once a producer like Sideshow or GG buys the license, the majority of the money made (if not all the money) goes to them. Hence, collectible costs can rise because the license costs more to purchase.

This is why I'm so astounded by some of Sideshow's moves in the past year or so. They paid for the Guardians of the Galaxy license, paid for the Spidey license, and paid for the Age of Ultron license - yet, aside from War Machine, they've done nothing with them.

If anyone out there has a more in-depth understanding, please feel free to educate me!
Interesting, thanks for that additional insight. I agree with your assertion that Sideshow's decisions are head scratching if this licensing dynamic is as you detailed it to be.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote