Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2006, 11:30 PM   #41
Justin
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collection King 13
Damn... and here I am thinking flipping statues/busts is good money... I need to start flipping jobs!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:31 AM   #42
Synergy
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormshadow007
mebbe' coz this one gave Santiago a code red.....
Synergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:21 AM   #43
Boerboel
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus
I am gonna be the a-hole here but sometimes I think the unions have gone to far a backhoe opperator working 40 hours a week is making 170k a year ?!?!?!!? I personally have ran Bobcats and stuff in my day and trying to justify this is a job that deserves a 170k a year is a little far fetched.A lot of unions (not all) have went from protecting the employee to screwing the employer IMO.
I would guess there are bids put in for these jobs so I would think that there would be some variation. That may also not be your run of the mill backhoe either. I'm not sure what you do for a living, but in the 6 years that I have had a union job its been nothing but the employer giving the screwing and the employee taking said screwing. Its a domino affect, if the union workers get screwed what do you think will happen to all the other workers in this country who are not protected?
Boerboel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:36 AM   #44
Boerboel
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie
When a group of workers goes on strike and i find out what they make, I am usually amazed at their relatively high rate of pay. From construction workers to dock workers, transit employees, etc., it seems to me that these folks make very good pay, and most have just a high school education, if that. I'm sure there are exceptions, but when I read an article like this, it really rubs me the wrong way.

Contrast this with teachers' pay. Hmm... there's a message here.
I have a union job and I only have a high school education so what are you trying to say? I put in an honest days work for my paycheck and I don't see how the amount of education I have plays any part in it.

As far as the teacher deal goes, I agree 100% on that! They are getting the shaft.
Boerboel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:39 AM   #45
misanthrope
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

i dropped out of colledge to become a heavy equip operator. topped out at $15 p/h on a backhoe. 60 or 70 hrs a week(if the sun shines you work) the cost of living in ms is very low and i lived like a king the whole time. now it impossible to find work in hvy.qup cause the wage is down to around $13 p/h. and you dont even have to speak english as long as you understand hand signals. for $75 p/h id move to a foreign country and learn the language.
misanthrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:42 AM   #46
Justin
Jedi Order

I think Unions are a necessary evil, I'm in one myself and some of the people we protect because of our numbers disgusts me, I'm fully aware though that if I wasn't in a Union I'd be getting shafted and would not be in the position I'm in at the moment, New Large Home, New Car, able to live comfortably and have play money for the things I enjoy. Make no mistake though. I work damn hard for every cent I make
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:19 AM   #47
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanthrope
i dropped out of colledge to become a heavy equip operator. topped out at $15 p/h on a backhoe. 60 or 70 hrs a week(if the sun shines you work) the cost of living in ms is very low and i lived like a king the whole time. now it impossible to find work in hvy.qup cause the wage is down to around $13 p/h. and you dont even have to speak english as long as you understand hand signals. for $75 p/h id move to a foreign country and learn the language.
Sounds like a move to New York is called for and you don't even have to learn a new language.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:08 AM   #48
DetroitSportsFan
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicboy
I would assume that number $72- $83 includes everything. Health insurance, dental, vision, cost of living, shift premiums, etc... I don't know for sure I don't work in big machinery. They like to throw those big numbers around to piss people off though. Makes people look greedy. They do the same thing to us in the auto industry. They say we make over $100 K a year. I personally have never made that much in 1 year in the 11 I have worked for GM. The most I have ever made is $70K, and that was working 50 hour weeks for the entire year.
I was thinking the same thing.

I work for Ford, so I know the games the media likes to play.
DetroitSportsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:46 AM   #49
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerboel
I have a union job and I only have a high school education so what are you trying to say? I put in an honest days work for my paycheck and I don't see how the amount of education I have plays any part in it.

As far as the teacher deal goes, I agree 100% on that! They are getting the shaft.
I'm not implying anything like that. What I am saying is that when I hear that someone with this type of job can make $80 an hour, I've obviously taken the wrong career path (college, etc.). And then to complain about it?

Or should that be...
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 02:42 PM   #50
Kirk Durfey
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

It really depends on the union. I worked in a warehouse where the drivers were making around $20 an hour (not much here in Silicon Valley). In Alameda the dockworkers went on strike, because $94,000 a year wasn't enough and their jobs weren't guaranteed. I know a fireman who can retire in 3 years (when he turns 51) and he will be pulling in $90,000 a year pension for the rest of his life.

Some unions (maybe most?) are necessary, while others are WAY too strong and are screwing over the taxpayers. It seems the unions involved in government contracts get the sweetest deals. Just my opinion...
Kirk Durfey is offline   Reply With Quote