Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

View Poll Results: Does your spouse/companion support your collection?
She is very supportive 46 28.05%
She is okay about it 60 36.59%
She does not like it but puts up with it 33 20.12%
She hates it and wants me to sell everything 14 8.54%
I'm married to my collection.... 11 6.71%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #81
JRodri2540
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnneeukca View Post
I'm probably about five or six a year. You know what though, I find that doing it that way stops you buying stuff you "think" is really cool. I instead you have to be absolutely sure it's one you want. BTW, the one thing my wife won't do is buy statues for Birthday or Christmas.
With a budget I cannot be a completist, collecting every statue in a line is impossible for me so I pick and choose the ones I think are worth it. Its is April and I only have $400 left in my budget.

BTW, during the budget process with my wife I really had to haggle to get those extra two statues for my birthday & Christmas, but now we are both happy with the outcome. Now the only problem is space.
JRodri2540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #82
BuffyGirl
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Very supportive and loves to collect as well.
BuffyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #83
ComputerFly
The Phantom

My wife loves the hobby, sometimes more than I do I think. Every now and then I threaten to sell them all, and she says okay, but you can't touch anything in the movie room... or this one.. or this one... or that one... Conan the Barbarian can go...
ComputerFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #84
GUILTY GEAR
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerFly View Post
My wife love the hobby, sometimes more than I do I think. Every now and then I threaten to sell them all, and she says okay, but you can't touch anything in the movie room... or this one.. or this one... or that one... Conan the Barbarian can go...
GUILTY GEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #85
Johnneeukca
New Republic

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRodri2540 View Post
With a budget I cannot be a completist, collecting every statue in a line is impossible for me so I pick and choose the ones I think are worth it. Its is April and I only have $400 left in my budget.

BTW, during the budget process with my wife I really had to haggle to get those extra two statues for my birthday & Christmas, but now we are both happy with the outcome. Now the only problem is space.
Only $400 left! Gonna be a long summer for you. I've got Templar's verdict, Joker, Frozen Dead on order right now. I may pick up Lara Croft too. That's about $1400, so hopefully I've got a bit of room for anything that comes up at SDCC.
Johnneeukca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #86
coolandwarm
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

For the ones that the partner also likes collecting you make sure that you have which statue is whose in writing and signed because in separation time someone is going to be very sad when the fight for a statue , and not the house or the car.
coolandwarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #87
Follow_Fatty
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Follow_Fatty View Post
My wife is completely supportive of my collection. We went to the comic book shop this weekend. i had 1500 dollars in hand and went to buy. I paid off my deposit on my Sideshow Joker. Put money down on the Batman 1:1 SS Bust. Bought the Harley Quinn DCD Museum, bought an Aquaman Statue, basically went to town.

When all was said and done she said...Dont you want the Wonder Woman? (The DCD Museum Edition) I said, well I do, but Im tapped. Shes like you might be, but Im not. She then tells the guy to grab the box for the Wonder Woman as well as a Batman Black and White.

I am a very lucky man, believe me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post

I hate you bro

LOL, Dont hate man. LOL

On a sidenote though, as I read these posts I see a LOT of guys who have support and a few who seem to be running up against brick walls. I think you need to sit down with the wife and have an honest conversation with them. I think you should explain what the statues mean to you. Its not just a collection where dust lingers but its something to help you relive your childhood to a certain degree.

As well, my wife also understands that unlike collecting other things these Statues have a serious value attached to them. My wife will from time to time go on ebay and look for statues I currently have. When she saw that not only did the value on my pieces go up, they in most cases doubled sometimes tripled in value? That put her on board a bit quick. She quickly realized that it wasnt just a dumb hobby but it was indeed something that was adding value and worth to us.

It might seem far fetched but there is more value in the statues we collect than a car that loses value the minute it is pulled off of the car lot.

I also have a mutual agreement with my wife that I save my own money to buy my statues that doesnt or will not infringe upon our bill money. I get a weekly allowance so to speak and I put most of that money aside for my statues.

The final thing that might help is if she wants to go buy clothes or shoes or whatever I do not fight her on it. I let her go as long as it is within reason. As long as the bills are paid she is free to spend money. This way when I go to buy she doesnt give me an attitude when I buy.

Not saying this will work for all but I think the conversation needs to happen.

If all else fails, get a storage locker, move all your pieces to a safe location and THEN file for divorce. LOL
Follow_Fatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #88
Y3E
Gen 13

Heh, Fatty my friend, I don't hate you. I congratulate you.

I have tried explaining to my wife the value of my statues and the appreciation of art and what it took to create these sculpts. My collecting is not a financial issue, a space issue (well, I lie there, the boxes take up a lot of room), or a taste issue. For her if something is not practical then it is of no use. Period. I have pointed out her purse and shoe purchases but logic goes out the door when she justifies her reasons. Don't get me wrong, my wife is not going to trash my collections, she doesn't like it but will put of with it.

BTW, I've tried showing her the value of my pieces and when I did that with my Thor PF she said" Well, what are you waiting for, sell it!" LOL!
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #89
High Lord Apocalypse
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Y3E- LOL @ the last part
High Lord Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #90
Ryu
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Lord Apocalypse View Post
Y3E- LOL @ the last part
Did yours say the same about your figure? that's one rare piece lol
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote