Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 12-08-2017, 12:34 PM   #1
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

2017 Comic art year in review thread

Since 2017 will be over in a few short weeks I thought it might be a good time to show off/review what you got this year and tell us your favorite purchase of 2017.

I had a lot of fun collecting this year. Got to scratch a few long time goals off my list, a Mark Brooks commission, Eduardo Risso commission, not 1 but 2 pieces from Walter Simonson at SDCC. The Walt Simonson dinner was an absolute blast and made me realize that I've been missing out on the socializing part of our hobby in recent years. I am to change that in 2018.

I picked up pages from some of my favorite current comic runs. Tom King Vision series with art by Gabriel Walta. Also picked up a couple of Olivier Coipel pages from Unworthy Thor that I really love.

Stuart Immonen's art on Amazing Spider-Man has been great so I happily added 4 pages to my collection. Here are the 2 DPS I picked up:

Last but certainly not least is David Finch and Danny Miki's art on Batman from the I am Bane story. I bugged Spencer Beck for months about this art and was happy when I finally got the opportunity to pick up some pages. That also leads me to my favorite pickup of 2017. Batman and Bane splash from Batman #20. I really love how Finch drew this and Miki's inks are perfect You can also feel the impact of the head butt.

The rest of my art from 2017 can be seen here:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryd...=18&order=Date
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Batman 20 pg 18.jpg.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	109919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Batman 20 pg 16.jpg.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	109921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Batman 20 pg 9.jpg.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	369.9 KB
ID:	109922   Click image for larger version

Name:	fziy5BR9_2407171042341gpadd.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	109923   Click image for larger version

Name:	ikmflHVM_0704170930371gpadd.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	336.0 KB
ID:	109924  

Click image for larger version

Name:	uBTD8sde_230917115411lola.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	109925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xkvli1lp_2807170845351sbpi.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	443.4 KB
ID:	109926   Click image for larger version

Name:	JJY2bFyi_2309171159591gpadd.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	377.2 KB
ID:	109927  

Last edited by MONSTER; 12-08-2017 at 12:43 PM.
MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:53 PM   #2
Punisher1919
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
Since 2017 will be over in a few short weeks I thought it might be a good time to show off/review what you got this year and tell us your favorite purchase of 2017.

I had a lot of fun collecting this year. Got to scratch a few long time goals off my list, a Mark Brooks commission, Eduardo Risso commission, not 1 but 2 pieces from Walter Simonson at SDCC. The Walt Simonson dinner was an absolute blast and made me realize that I've been missing out on the socializing part of our hobby in recent years. I am to change that in 2018.

I picked up pages from some of my favorite current comic runs. Tom King Vision series with art by Gabriel Walta. Also picked up a couple of Olivier Coipel pages from Unworthy Thor that I really love.

Stuart Immonen's art on Amazing Spider-Man has been great so I happily added 4 pages to my collection. Here are the 2 DPS I picked up:

Last but certainly not least is David Finch and Danny Miki's art on Batman from the I am Bane story. I bugged Spencer Beck for months about this art and was happy when I finally got the opportunity to pick up some pages. That also leads me to my favorite pickup of 2017. Batman and Bane splash from Batman #20. I really love how Finch drew this and Miki's inks are perfect You can also feel the impact of the head butt.

The rest of my art from 2017 can be seen here:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryd...=18&order=Date
This was also a stupid good year!! Congrats on some amazing pick-ups...Love the Risso!!!
Punisher1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:15 PM   #3
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

definitely a great year. that risso is nuts. wish the one I got from him a few years ago was any where near the quality that you got!
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:21 PM   #4
Mr. Machismo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quality all around, Ken. Obviously the Banes are my favourite, none quite like Finch’s take on him. Very cool spidey pieces and Risso as well.
Mr. Machismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:32 PM   #5
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Nice hauls this year!

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:33 PM   #6
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I had a great year but I think my highlight might be completing my first Hulk issue. More to come on that ...

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #7
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

All in pretty good art year for me. No massive grails but did scratch a few itches in 2017 without totally breaking the bank.

Link to my 2017 pickups below:
http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryd...=54&order=Date

A few highlights – started the year with getting offered a commission from my #1 dude Norm Breyfogle. Ended the year with getting a Tom Grummet commission that I’ve loved since it was first done 6 years ago.

Over the course of the year picked up a few Syaf’s – a group of us commissioned him before the controversy. One was a dream recreation of Detective 27 that I had in the works for Breyfogle that he never got around to before the stroke. Syaf executed on it perfectly. The other a homage to one of my favorite all time books – Spidey vs Wolverine. Colors on it are amazing. Syaf’s work needs to be seen in person to be fully appreciated.

Snagged a couple of Todor pieces. The Catwoman a bit wonky, but the Batman piece came from another collector and IMO is Todor’s best and one of my favorite Batman images of the past few years – reminds me of a Frank Miller poster I used to have on my wall.

Noto was a big itch I needed to scratch. I screwed up not getting him at C2E2 and had been obsessed since. Big thanks to Josh for the hook-up at NJ.

Few other goodies – a great Perez that got lost in mail limbo for about 2 months made its way home. Molina did a nice job with a Frazetta homage. McDaniel did an awesome HQ in his signature style. And Jay L did some cover worthy inks over an iconic Booth Robin.

Other than that, my DITF’s kept churning along. Hopefully that project is done in 2018 and will be shared then.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:46 PM   #8
Bishop40
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

2017 turned out to be an unexpected year, finally finished my flash jam piece , got an unexpected dell'otto commission thanks to george those were my big 2 gets in a very light year for me.

DK homage from dell'otto

Flash Jam piece

Last edited by Bishop40; 12-11-2017 at 04:40 PM. Reason: added pics
Bishop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:07 AM   #9
BillC
Hellboy

Great idea for a thread Ken. I'm one of those that had a big year but haven't made any threads that I can remember (busy-- or just lazy?). I'll probably pop back in with several pics for a year in review.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:12 AM   #10
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
Great idea for a thread Ken. I'm one of those that had a big year but haven't made any threads that I can remember (busy-- or just lazy?). I'll probably pop back in with several pics for a year in review.

You must post pics! Sharing is part the fun. I love seeing what you guys buy.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote