I doubt it
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #252
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
Mark this post:

12-18 months into the next normal recession and 75% of the statues released in the last 2-3 years can be had for 50% off original retail price on the FB BST groups.
I see some aquaman, green lanterns, wonder man, superman , batman, sw even ex, etc sold for 200.00 retail was 430.00-550.00 shipped
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:48 PM   #253
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

I don’t buy much SS as ES kills those statues but prime 1 and XMs won’t drop that much not like early pieces
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #254
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby1938 View Post
I don’t buy much SS as ES kills those statues but prime 1 and XMs won’t drop that much not like early pieces

Maybe not XM, but P1 is pumping out pieces at an astronomical rate and they still like their variants(which I hate when it's after the original release). And their statues are getting even bigger, I'm sure even some mansion owners are going to have a hard time finding room!

Overall I just think there's too much being produced when there's not that many new collectors to match and some are even getting out of the hobby with the rising prices(I'm thinking about it). I would've never thought some great pieces like P1 Deathstroke would go down in value but there's just more product than demand and it's getting worse.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:20 PM   #255
built2shred
Phoenix

last real recession we had was back in 2008, I wasn't a huge collector back then, there wasn't as much stuff coming out back then compare to now a days and it was a lot cheaper compared to todays prices..

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next recession, we probably will see some fire sales... just depends on how bad of recession it ends up being... So called "experts" are saying around 2020 will be the next recession.. Here's hoping it's a minor one..
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:37 PM   #256
aa909
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
last real recession we had was back in 2008, I wasn't a huge collector back then, there wasn't as much stuff coming out back then compare to now a days and it was a lot cheaper compared to todays prices..

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next recession, we probably will see some fire sales... just depends on how bad of recession it ends up being... So called "experts" are saying around 2020 will be the next recession.. Here's hoping it's a minor one..
2008 was a once-in-a-multi-generational recession so more likely we get a normal contraction this time around. And as you stated there was no XM or Prime 1 et al back then, and the ES for pieces were much smaller not to mention retail prices were half what they are today (or less!)

But I would estimate we have the following mix of collectors:

15% wealthy
60% middle class
25% younger, lower income and stretched financially

any recession we get will hit the lower 25% hard. These folks have stretched and don't have the reserves to cover any recession. Plus they probably don't have the display space either so silly things like statues will go up for sale pretty quickly.

I'd also bet at least 1/3 of the folks in the middle have little cash reserves so any recession will force them to make difficult decisions which = selling s**t they don't need (like statues) to cover bills.

That's going to put upwards of 50% of the statues folks have bought in the past 3 years in play for resale.

Some of you will scoff at these numbers, but adjust them to your own estimates and you'll see that regardless of your assumptions we're going to have a flood of supply on the second hand market, and that's on top of all the new statues coming out from SS, XM, Prime 1 etc. and demand will not be there during the next recession. Prices will be crushed.

Good Luck all
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:45 PM   #257
Gothamite
Phoenix

So, if only rich people in large houses bought statues, there wouldn't be a "bubble"?

Again, these kinds of threads are the result of people living in self-created vacuums, especially when the collectors live in places like California, NYC, Boston, etc, where population density naturally results in smaller homes. You can't buy lots of 1/4-scale and larger statues then whine about lack of space and not being able to re-sell for a profit. It's on you for not thinking ahead.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:19 PM   #258
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
Maybe not XM, but P1 is pumping out pieces at an astronomical rate and they still like their variants(which I hate when it's after the original release). And their statues are getting even bigger, I'm sure even some mansion owners are going to have a hard time finding room!

Overall I just think there's too much being produced when there's not that many new collectors to match and some are even getting out of the hobby with the rising prices(I'm thinking about it). I would've never thought some great pieces like P1 Deathstroke would go down in value but there's just more product than demand and it's getting worse.

I agree p1 is going to run into the exact same problems with market saturation. people got carried away with the new scale and tried to get all the characters early not knowing that p1 was going to pump out the same characters as much as 10 times or more. Now people can't get rid of them for retail for the most part. Look at all those completeist who bought every single cool character that came out and wanting all the new ones coming for the games. Most have said they wished for a comic version but had no patience and now that the comic versions are coming out with most liking those a lot more than. the game versions. We will see a lot more and more going back in the markets that won't move. Also as mention all the variants and reissues will destroy resell values on all of them. There hasn't been any hot statues p1 has not reissue in one way or another when it becomes in demand again. So with that said. I won't po any of them on day one. I will wait till all the variants show up and then it will give me time to decide. Plus I can just buy on the second hand market for the lowest prices. If its sold out and hot with a low es p1 will reissue it. Makes me mad when they do and I missed the version I wanted more and have to sell the first for a 20-30% loss and shipping. So no rush for all p1 items for me. I will definitely get a few of those new 1:3 statues after I see them all in hand and the variants first now that I will collect 75% less sideshow.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:20 PM   #259
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
So, if only rich people in large houses bought statues, there wouldn't be a "bubble"?

Again, these kinds of threads are the result of people living in self-created vacuums, especially when the collectors live in places like California, NYC, Boston, etc, where population density naturally results in smaller homes. You can't buy lots of 1/4-scale and larger statues then whine about lack of space and not being able to re-sell for a profit. It's on you for not thinking ahead.
All collectors gets carried away. Give them some slack
Old 09-23-2018, 06:35 PM   #260
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy View Post
All collectors gets carried away. Give them some slack
True, I'm not immune to getting excited about statues and busts, either, but the lines of reasoning about there being a "bubble" usually involve:

1) too many companies
2) too much product
3) I ran out of space

I've yet to see anyone take responsibility for the collecting community as a whole and admit that many of us buy too much too fast. How many times have we seen pictures posted by people who have already filled up whole rooms with statues? How many times have we seen pictures posted by people who only have closet space to display statues?

At some point, these collectors were probably complaining that there wasn't enough product, and statue companies ramped up production to meet demand. Also, you can't blame statue companies for making "too much product" as long as people are buying, even if they don't have room to display new purchases anymore. Sideshow, P1, XM, etc. don't care what you do with a statue after you buy it.

Run out of space? That's the individual's problem, no one else's.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote