Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 02-22-2019, 02:11 AM   #51
Arcusprime
Shadowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
There are two types of art collectors out there;
  1. There are those who purchase artwork because they like it and can afford it, that's it
  2. There are the rest of us who purchase artwork because we like it and can afford it, but ask ourselves, "if I needed/wanted to sell this, can I expect to get back most/all of what I'm paying?"

I'm firmly in group #1. I buy mostly commissions, only have 2-3 pieces of published comic art, and don't plan on selling any of it. Same with my statue pieces. I really don't get the 'flipper' mentality. There's so many different variables to account for. In fact, 'flipper's kinda piss me off, as they inflate the prices of the pieces. Flat and statue. Ah well, First World Problems.
I buy the art from artists I like, period.
Arcusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:32 AM   #52
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Jim Cheung's asking 6-8K for his covers now too. I long for the days where I thought 2.5-3K was a lot to pay for a cover (for new books)

He's not alone in asking 6k-8k, that's for sure... Most new cover artwork typically starts with numbers like those, especially on an A-list character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
I'm pretty much in the same boat and have been in it since nycc 2016. i was 3rd on his list then. he has my art board. on rare occasion he will answer my email and when I see him at shows he acknowledges its existence. at today's rates though, I'm somewhat ok with it being in perpetual limbo.

Arthur Adams artwork is readily available to those prepared to pay the big bucks. If you email him and say you are interested in buying a cover, I'd bet he would respond to it. However, when it comes to board sketches, that list is simply too long and too easy to fill up for him to give it any special attention regardless of how long the person is waiting. JMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
There are two types of art collectors out there;
  1. There are those who purchase artwork because they like it and can afford it, that's it
  2. There are the rest of us who purchase artwork because we like it and can afford it, but ask ourselves, "if I needed/wanted to sell this, can I expect to get back most/all of what I'm paying?"

B Collectors won't touch new artwork priced like Faboks regardless of how much money they have, we've learned over and over you're just plain overpaying.

I'm a bit of (guilty of?) both. However, I'm more inclined to option 2 these days. While I have generally done ok (sometimes much better than ok) in reselling artwork in the past, it's become a greater challenge recently to move pieces, especially if it is a commission or modern piece, no matter who the artist is or how nice the piece is (i.e., Todd McFarlane Spidey and Jim Lee Batman not included).

Nowadays though, it seems like it is investment suicide to be the first to buy modern artwork from dealers. Too often, we've seen modern artwork sell to second owners at significantly less than original cost. I can only imagine how owners of Alex Ross artwork who paid 25k+ must feel when they see his cover artwork sell for below 10k in auctions. Those who sometimes rely on selling older pieces to acquire new pieces have to be more selective than ever. My thinking is that while word may be getting around about Modern artwork, we're not really seeing a decrease in asking prices from dealers, not yet anyway -- and that's where Option 1 kicks in. As long as there are people ready to drop 6k on a Philip Tan or Tony Daniel piece, I do not see this trend coming to a halt any time soon.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:35 AM   #53
boibleu22
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcusprime View Post
I'm firmly in group #1. I buy mostly commissions, only have 2-3 pieces of published comic art, and don't plan on selling any of it. Same with my statue pieces. I really don't get the 'flipper' mentality. There's so many different variables to account for. In fact, 'flipper's kinda piss me off, as they inflate the prices of the pieces. Flat and statue. Ah well, First World Problems.
You also need to make sure you're not lumping "flippers" into the same category of people who are either trimming their collection or trying to acquire funds for whatever reason.

I'm trimming my collection of pieces I no longer love to help build funds for a bigger piece. I've been setting my prices based on the current market price. Does that make me a flipper?
boibleu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #54
boibleu22
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
As long as there are people ready to drop 6k on a Philip Tan or Tony Daniel piece, I do not see this trend coming to a halt any time soon.
How about 18k for Tony's Detective 1000 cover? Lol!

There are some amazing artists out there who have very reasonable OA prices, and there are some who are simply delusional
boibleu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:53 AM   #55
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcusprime View Post
I mainly got into it because only way I can get Power Girl content. No comics, and rare to find art. So where I can get it, I buy it. No one is going to want any of this art, but it makes me happy every time I look at it so it has value to me.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:57 AM   #56
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boibleu22 View Post
You also need to make sure you're not lumping "flippers" into the same category of people who are either trimming their collection or trying to acquire funds for whatever reason.

I'm trimming my collection of pieces I no longer love to help build funds for a bigger piece. I've been setting my prices based on the current market price. Does that make me a flipper?
I think the term flipper is pretty broad and means different things to different people.

For me, it is about why and when.

Why you buy something: if your intent for buying something is purely to make profit it skews toward flipping

When you plan to sell: if your intent is to put it up for sale right away, you definitely skew toward flipping.

If you buy something today and put it up for sale tomorrow at a healthy markup … you might be a flipper.

I have mixed feeling about flipping. At first, it really bothered me as I didn’t know all the ins and outs of the hobby I was finding art after it had already been bought and flipped. It can be frustrating. Instead of getting mad, it is more beneficial to learn the game and try and beat the flippers to the art. There are still occasions where I find something I really want but it has already been flipped and out of the range I want to pay. At that point, I just walk away (and have to some pieces I REALLY wanted). There is always more art out there. So I guess I have come full circle and don’t really get too mad about it any more as I have run into some good people that actively flip as part of their hobby process. It’s not for me, but I can’t say what they are doing is “wrong” in any way.

As for selling to fund, bigger and better art, I don’t see that as flipping. It can seem that way if you buy something this week and that grail-ish piece comes up the next week and you want that more than what you just bought … so you sell the former to buy the latter. It’s all good with me.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:15 AM   #57
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

yep, people define flippers differently. and being a flipper isn't necessarily a bad thing. for me its time of hold and initial intent. sale purpose or sale proceeds don't really matter.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:19 PM   #58
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

wow, that was a great price for that Thanos page!!

I remember trying to convince Jimmy to do a piece in my Planet Hulk sketchbook that year, but couldn't get him to do it. I didn't know he was doing sketches at the Hero Initiative. Where's my damn time machine?
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:58 PM   #59
Arcusprime
Shadowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by boibleu22 View Post

Of course not.

And I agree, mostly, with JG's comment, but I do feel that 'flipper' is not a broad term. If you buy with the sole intent to sell and make a profit, you're a flipper. Whether its houses, cars, or art. Now I get that its a legitimate part of life, and something we all have to contend with, but I do not like it.
Arcusprime is offline   Reply With Quote