Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 02-27-2021, 05:44 AM   #671
Dozza
Birdman

I'm considering this one but man that's a hefty price tag.
Dozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:01 PM   #672
extracomputer.1
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozza View Post
I'm considering this one but man that's a hefty price tag.
thats what stopped me as well. could buy so many others with that amount that I want just as much so couldn't justify it. does look cool though. they did a nice job.
extracomputer.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:02 PM   #673
xXJ0kerXx
Fantastic Four

how i sort of think of things, would you rather buy like 2-3 (well 2 because sideshow prices went up a crap ton) but would you rather buy 2 sideshow 1/4 PF pieces or an uber nice statue that will probably top the detail department compared to the PF pieces? because we know it can really be hit or miss with sideshow, especially their eyes and we know Prime1 usually has their details on point.
xXJ0kerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:13 PM   #674
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXJ0kerXx View Post
how i sort of think of things, would you rather buy like 2-3 (well 2 because sideshow prices went up a crap ton) but would you rather buy 2 sideshow 1/4 PF pieces or an uber nice statue that will probably top the detail department compared to the PF pieces? because we know it can really be hit or miss with sideshow, especially their eyes and we know Prime1 usually has their details on point.
People still buy Sideshow stuff?
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:40 PM   #675
extracomputer.1
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXJ0kerXx View Post
For me probably not sideshow stuff. I do have their exclusive skeletor though and that is really nice. Sideshow too often has a really nice piece and then does one dumb thing that just really screws it up ie severely cross eyed Emma frost.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:51 PM   #676
dao2
Cyclops

Doesn't even have to be two SS statues. Their rancor (whatever material it's made out of) is the same price as this. I think the rancor looks *ok* and I'm not happy with a fair bit of the issues it has. And I love star wars, a lot more then I like Red Sonja. But when I stack the $1,300 Rancor (deluxe my ass) vs this I just feel like I would be out of my mind to choose the Rancor. The Rancor, even if wasn't potentially crap material and painted amazing with no seams is still really not that complicated of a statue in terms of details, base, and paint. Yet it's the same damn price as this with WAY more details, paint job, and it's even bigger to boot. :| I don't really want to ---- on it too much in the actual rancor thread cause people like what they like and it's their money and I tend to regret getting into heated arguments about stuff, but I can't wrap my head around how much that rancor is especially when compared to this.
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:06 PM   #677
qz33
Doctor Doom

A lot of it is probably the license. Dynamite doesn't mind handing out Sonja for whatever they get. Plus with the Rancor SS knows they are aiming for the main hardest of hardcore collectors. Star Wars is of course Star Wars and SS may be trying to cover other license costs or performance goals.

Comparisons are difficult in the hobby because EVERY individual statue, production run, and license contract are very very unique negotiations.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:13 PM   #678
extracomputer.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
Doesn't even have to be two SS statues. Their rancor (whatever material it's made out of) is the same price as this. I think the rancor looks *ok* and I'm not happy with a fair bit of the issues it has. And I love star wars, a lot more then I like Red Sonja. But when I stack the $1,300 Rancor (deluxe my ass) vs this I just feel like I would be out of my mind to choose the Rancor. The Rancor, even if wasn't potentially crap material and painted amazing with no seams is still really not that complicated of a statue in terms of details, base, and paint. Yet it's the same damn price as this with WAY more details, paint job, and it's even bigger to boot. :| I don't really want to ---- on it too much in the actual rancor thread cause people like what they like and it's their money and I tend to regret getting into heated arguments about stuff, but I can't wrap my head around how much that rancor is especially when compared to this.
Can’t disagree with you on that. The rancor is overpriced but guessing part of that is due to licensing and due to popularity.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:22 PM   #679
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
A lot of it is probably the license. Dynamite doesn't mind handing out Sonja for whatever they get. Plus with the Rancor SS knows they are aiming for the main hardest of hardcore collectors. Star Wars is of course Star Wars and SS may be trying to cover other license costs or performance goals.

Comparisons are difficult in the hobby because EVERY individual statue, production run, and license contract are very very unique negotiations.
I get that the SW license is pricey but it's not just SW, SS charges a lot for all their stuff really. Their stuff is cheaper on average cause it's a lot plainer. In terms of production run the ES on Sonja is barely higher then the rancor. And sure the Sonja license is maybe cheaper but it's not like SS is discounting them, their RS PFs are just as expensive (or more, cause the snake one was sizeable) then their other PFs at the time, including SW. Like if it was kinda close I kinda understand but this RS is in a completely different league of detail and pain than the rancor, yet the same price. And the comparison was simple enough for me :P I want to buy both, but when I look at the rancor for $1,300 and this Sonja I went for Sonja. Could I get both if I really wanted? Yeah... but I'm not cause stuff like this makes the Rancor seem even worse then it is already :|

Quote:
Originally Posted by extracomputer.1 View Post
Can’t disagree with you on that. The rancor is overpriced but guessing part of that is due to licensing and due to popularity.
They aren't banking on the popularity that much cause there's only 600, which is a pretty low es for SS these days.
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:28 PM   #680
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
I get that the SW license is pricey but it's not just SW, SS charges a lot for all their stuff really. Their stuff is cheaper on average cause it's a lot plainer. In terms of production run the ES on Sonja is barely higher then the rancor. And sure the Sonja license is maybe cheaper but it's not like SS is discounting them, their RS PFs are just as expensive (or more, cause the snake one was sizeable) then their other PFs at the time, including SW.
Asian companies give precedence to Asian companies. The Rancor may well be a piece they tacked extra on to just because they know there are enough people desperate enough to have one. Point is individual product prices are not totally dependent on the products costs.

An every company is unique as well. Compare the size of SS and their standard of operations to Prime1 which relies far more heavily on distributors.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote