Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 06-24-2018, 12:35 AM   #311
Arcusprime
Shadowhawk

Received the full refund today. One less burden on my shoulders.
Arcusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #312
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Don, thanks for providing the update that you are asking Jae for a full refund. I would appreciate further updates if you are willing to provide. Jae’s laundry list of disappointed commissions is long but there is always the “Jae will provide a full refund if requested” response that seems to be accepted as a universal truth. I hope to hear this play out as such – hoping that you get a quick return of your funds.

As for the more generalizations about commission experiences, I am in the camp of 95% of my experiences being positive and probably even higher than that. Anyone who has commissioned art at rate of 95% bad experience rate … I would have to ask why you didn’t get out after 2 or 3 commissions – who needs that level of frustration.

From my experience, commissions are definitely a dance that you sometimes have to play with an artist. You have to be good at communicating yourself. You sometimes have to be patient. You sometimes have to wait a little longer than you might want to. You sometimes have to understand that things do happen that cause delays. The art of commissioning is being a good communicator and discerning where/when to draw a line, how to do so tactfully, and how to treat the artist like you would like to be treated. Sometimes that means giving a pass for a spell and sometimes that means putting them on blast – every commission has a slightly different route to completion.

MB – I get your frustration. I have seen some of your deals go south and understand the hard line that you draw but that isn’t the experience for everyone. And, not all of us have been here 10 years and not everyone has seen this play out before. We all go through that “squirrel”” phase of collecting where we leap before we look – it’s part of paying the tuition for your education in the comic art collecting arena. This forum is set up to talk art, commiserate about deals, share information, and yes, educate the newer members … even if the advice has been given multiple times before.

The best general advice for commissions is to pay via PayPal (NOT as a gift) if paying up front. I would just eat the 3% (or whatever it is) fee as it will make you much more comfortable in the case that the commission draws out longer than you want it to.
My first commission was small took over a year and went south quick. Started it not long after I joined here. I wish I had known more about usual experiences with commissions as I would have been far more cautious. I never saw this area of the board.

I learned a lot though. Don't feel like the artist is doing you a favor by allowing you to pay for their work.

Put all the conditions up front. Stick to them. If an artist can't produce you a drawing in 6 months then they aren't taking you or their operations seriously. Do it through PayPal for sure. Delivery within the PayPal terms window or make that refund happen.

YEARS is insane and no one wants to be taken advantage of.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:48 AM   #313
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcusprime View Post
Received the full refund today. One less burden on my shoulders.
That is great to hear - thanks for the update

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:12 PM   #314
IG-64
Justice League

I also asked for and received the refund. Unfortunate that it didn't work out, but far from the worst commissioning experience I've ever had. At least Jae was communicative throughout and refunded me promptly. More than I can say for a lot of other artists out there.
IG-64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:18 PM   #315
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Good to hear. Thanks for the update

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:51 AM   #316
syhau
Doh!

Hi, found this board just a few weeks ago. Anyone still waiting for his/her commission?
syhau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:14 PM   #317
eblues31
Doh!

Yeah I’m still waiting. Been about 2.5 years. Jae has stopped responding to my emails and I’m disappointed af
eblues31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:26 AM   #318
RoscoeDeGama
Fantastic Four

I've commissioned Jae a couple of times. Here's my results:

1st time was around when this thread started. I jumped on his list, then found out about wait times and such. Took a little over a year to get a Phoenix I'd commissioned. Jae was at a show one of my bestest friends was attending. After emailing Jae the week before the show myself and my buddy following up throughout the show, it got done.

I sent a small Joker-themed sketchbook with my friend and Jae ended up doing a fantastic head sketch in there that he put a lot into and he said he felt bad about the wait on the Phoenix and put a little more into it.

I was happy with the situation above as just over a year and I got what I wanted all the way around!

2nd time: Pretty much the same scenario. Same friend attending a show I wasn't going to be at. Set up a Death & Matthew from Sandman a few months in advance of the show. Emails a week or two in advance of the con to Jae, buddy followed up there, Jae got to it that weekend. Happy customer once again!

3rd time: Jae was one of the first to be announced for Heroes this summer back in January 2020. I'd had decent results and wanted a bigger, commission with backgrounds, etc. from Jae. Paid then, good communication back and forth with Jae about the piece (Catwoman) but then COVID-19 and some necessary home repairs happened. Reached out to Jae when the show was officially cancelled and a full refund was issued within 30 min. of communicating with him.

Jae really did communicate well each time with me and in all, the experiences were good. I've been commissioning artists since the mid-90s so at this point, I guess I know what I'm getting into with artists for the most part. Doing your homework, patience, transparency and communication really are key to to all of this. Commissions in general can be a crapshoot but can be very rewarding when they work out. Like everyone says regarding art, buy what you love-same thing with commissions, commission who you want but do your due diligence and go into it with eyes wide-open.

Seems like most that have waited on Jae are happy with the results-not too many stinkers out there and some of his bigger pieces really are amazing!
RoscoeDeGama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:06 AM   #319
RoscoeDeGama
Fantastic Four

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallery...sp?gsub=176327
RoscoeDeGama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:14 AM   #320
eblues31
Doh!

I have not heard back from Jae since Jan 2019. He has not responded to any of my emails since. I paid $1750 via PayPal in the fall of 2017 using friends and family option (at his request). I checked in every few months and he was always responsive saying he was really busy. Then silence. It was for a custom Dark Tower piece that I wanted for years, which I am totally soured on now because of the experience. If anyone has another way to contact Jae other than his AOL, please let me know.
eblues31 is offline   Reply With Quote