Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-19-2018, 08:20 AM   #61
EnShinNoi
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentwinter92 View Post
These actually look really nice, the price caught my eye. 1/8 scales? Sticky surfaces only happen in high heat/humid environments. Most of the more premium companies use high quality pvc that doesnt suffer from this.
They will eventually. Could be soon, could be in another lifetime but it will happen. The stronger the fresh plastic smell is out the box, the more likely it will happen down the track. Softer PVC is more prone. If there was a way of feeling (and smelling lol) these before purchasing, I'd be more likely to buy them.
EnShinNoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:33 AM   #62
silentwinter92
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnShinNoi View Post
They will eventually. Could be soon, could be in another lifetime but it will happen. The stronger the fresh plastic smell is out the box, the more likely it will happen down the track. Softer PVC is more prone. If there was a way of feeling (and smelling lol) these before purchasing, I'd be more likely to buy them.
You might be right about this, ill let you know 5 years down the road. Gecco hasn't let me down yet.
silentwinter92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:40 PM   #63
COI

Quote:
I think for $89 you can roll the dice.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:55 PM   #64
Doctor Doom
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Getting the Kier for sure...this character just always seem to pop!
Doctor Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:02 AM   #65
dechirico7
The Flash

I POed all three.
There is no NRD, so I thought, why not.
I think people are confused. I don't think PVS goes sticky, but metallic paint on PVC. That happened to a few Kotobukiya bishoujos. The metallic paint on Emma, Wonder Woman, Batgirl and possible others went sticky, and oozed finish.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:52 AM   #66
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

I think this is the best scale for this license.

Asking $500+ for something that most people have no emotional attachment beyond a cool design was a flawed premise. At least comic characters have a backstory in the geek culture and pop culture world. Not to mention when choosing between Rogue PF and random COTD PF characters for the same price the choice is clear.
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:54 PM   #67
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
I POed all three.
There is no NRD, so I thought, why not.
I think people are confused. I don't think PVS goes sticky, but metallic paint on PVC. That happened to a few Kotobukiya bishoujos. The metallic paint on Emma, Wonder Woman, Batgirl and possible others went sticky, and oozed finish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaSight View Post
PVC picks up fine details better and when painted properly looks more realistic - See Hot Toys figures for proof

Polystone weighs more, but I dont consider weight a metric of quality.

As material cost, Polystone is more expensive than PVC mostly because its less automated and usually hand cast.

PVC requires expensive steel/copper molds , which polystone doesnt.

Polystone started to be used because it didnt require expensive steel molds. It had zero to do with 'quality' The companies using it simply couldnt afford PVC so they 'spun it' in their marketing that polystone was a superior material.

But its really not.
Quote:
Thats cheap pvc

PVC can be cast in many varying qualities. These days, to keep prices low, most are cast as cheap quality or even 'reground' which means its recycled plastic and that is even more susceptible to warping and cracking.

But back in the 90s/early 2000s I never willingly used reground or cheap PVC. Though sometimes a factory would trick me and use it to save themselves some money.

Yamato is the only company Im aware of that seems to still use very high quality PVC for statues. Almost all of the anime pvc statues i see are using cheap plastic.

Imagine a pvc statue with the look/quality of a Hot Toys figure. Thats what PVC can do when used properly and its way more realistic than any polystone statue ever made.
Quote:
I havent bought a Yamato in several years so maybe its changed. Its also possible factories are duping them, which happens a lot. Just because a manufacture pays for high quality doesnt mean the factory uses high quality. Theres no way for the manufacturer to tell until problems start arising.

I do have some Kotobukiya that appears to be high quality and some that arent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidLiquidFox View Post
I think this is the best scale for this license.

Asking $500+ for something that most people have no emotional attachment beyond a cool design was a flawed premise. At least comic characters have a backstory in the geek culture and pop culture world. Not to mention when choosing between Rogue PF and random COTD PF characters for the same price the choice is clear.
I think Sideshow has had a ton of success with the COTD as it has been done. The lack of licensing contracts probably has a lot to do with it too.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:35 PM   #68
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
I actually feel the 1/6 would have been perfect for this IP.

It would have been much more affordable and still have decent enough size to bring recognition.

Nevertheless, even though I don't own any COTD, I still enjoy this line and hope it thrives and I hope they start venturing into the line of Angels and Demons.

The main reason why I stopped collecting this line was the QC. Just about every release up to Shard and Demithyle had problems. My Queen wouldn't even fit in her base and I had to get a complete replacement. The next one had cooky eyes somewhat. The writing was on the wall then and there and that (along with Iron Patriot) is really what made me go gung ho over XM as opposed to SS.

I actually plan to order all three of the Prestige line...but I am now hesitant because I know SS track record of starting a line then quickly flaming out of it....like MOTU and GI Joe and World of Warcraft.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #69
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
I actually feel the 1/6 would have been perfect for this IP.

It would have been much more affordable and still have decent enough size to bring recognition.

Nevertheless, even though I don't own any COTD, I still enjoy this line and hope it thrives and I hope they start venturing into the line of Angels and Demons.

The main reason why I stopped collecting this line was the QC. Just about every release up to Shard and Demithyle had problems. My Queen wouldn't even fit in her base and I had to get a complete replacement. The next one had cooky eyes somewhat. The writing was on the wall then and there and that (along with Iron Patriot) is really what made me go gung ho over XM as opposed to SS.

I actually plan to order all three of the Prestige line...but I am now hesitant because I know SS track record of starting a line then quickly flaming out of it....like MOTU and GI Joe and World of Warcraft.
Well loric they've been supporting COTD for years and many statues now and remember they aren't heholden to license agreements for these so I'd wager they have a FAR better chance of continuing than anything else.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:42 PM   #70
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Well loric they've been supporting COTD for years and many statues now and remember they aren't heholden to license agreements for these so I'd wager they have a FAR better chance of continuing than anything else.
Yeah...i meant for the prestige line specifically.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote