Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-18-2018, 09:23 PM   #451
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismhk View Post
I think I make wiser purchases and less impulsive purchases after I joined the forum though. I think the critical part of the forum kinda helps.
I agree, constructive criticism is important and as a collector you have to be discerning, otherwise you're just mindlessly accumulating.

But it's easy to get lost in the details, and we tend to lose sight of the hard work and craftsmanship that goes into these things, even if they don't appeal to our personal tastes.

If I could've gotten a glimpse at any of this stuff back in 2004, or even just 10 years ago, my mind would've been blown. It's good to stop and appreciate all this stuff every now and again.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:37 PM   #452
chrismhk
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
I agree, constructive criticism is important and as a collector you have to be discerning, otherwise you're just mindlessly accumulating.

But it's easy to get lost in the details, and we tend to lose sight of the hard work and craftsmanship that goes into these things, even if they don't appeal to our personal tastes.

If I could've gotten a glimpse at any of this stuff back in 2004, or even just 10 years ago, my mind would've been blown. It's good to stop and appreciate all this stuff every now and again.
Nowadays, the price point of the statues has dramatically changed from 10 years ago and so did the size of the market. Most of us have limited funds and space, so I think it is a natural course for people to start nitpicking and comparing to buy THE statues out from the numerous options out there that they won’t regret.

But I agree we should sit back and enjoy the craftsmanship from time to time more instead of ripping a statue apart with criticism.
chrismhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:51 PM   #453
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismhk View Post
Nowadays, the price point of the statues has dramatically changed from 10 years ago and so did the size of the market. Most of us have limited funds and space, so I think it is a natural course for people to start nitpicking and comparing to buy THE statues out from the numerous options out there that they won’t regret.

But I agree we should sit back and enjoy the craftsmanship from time to time more instead of ripping a statue apart with criticism.
That's all true, except that even 10 years ago, people were ripping pieces apart and complaining about prices. I remember people freaking out when PFs passed the $350 mark lol.

I believe the people who are relatively new complaining about prices today would've complained just the same 10 years ago. Perception is everything.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:54 PM   #454
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Are people really comparing B or C list TEAM characters to this? Aquaman had a much too high ES. Largely because people who are trying to collect the Justice League pre ordered him. It kinda dried up after that. Make DD part of a team and his ES would be higher.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:15 PM   #455
chrismhk
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
That's all true, except that even 10 years ago, people were ripping pieces apart and complaining about prices. I remember people freaking out when PFs passed the $350 mark lol.

I believe the people who are relatively new complaining about prices today would've complained just the same 10 years ago. Perception is everything.
It sounds kind of silly now since the PFs are at 600$ mark nowadays haha
chrismhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #456
ambasah
Red Skull

I am probably one of the biggest dd fans here. I own (or have owned) every single statue ever made of him including all variants (not bowen busts though). And I passed on this. I was ok with the artistic licenses given to the sculpt...but the black killed any interest I had.

And it is very clear that I am not alone. Does DD have the same popularity as elektra? she has an edition size of 750. Can we all agree that DD should have been higher than her?

like I said, the low edition size is due to SS taking too many liberties. hopefully they learn from this for the next effort.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #457
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambasah View Post
I am probably one of the biggest dd fans here. I own (or have owned) every single statue ever made of him including all variants (not bowen busts though). And I passed on this. I was ok with the artistic licenses given to the sculpt...but the black killed any interest I had.

And it is very clear that I am not alone. Does DD have the same popularity as elektra? she has an edition size of 750. Can we all agree that DD should have been higher than her?

like I said, the low edition size is due to SS taking too many liberties. hopefully they learn from this for the next effort.
If the costume was all one color of red, I'd have been all over this piece even with all the sideshowified liberties taken. The black paint on the costume just brings too much attention to all the sideshowified changes made to the costume. I think an all red costume would've made the changes look far more subtle.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #458
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambasah View Post

And like I've said before, that's wrong. In a bubble remember. The response to this piece outside of this forum has been overwhelmingly positive. People tend to be a lot more vocal(maybe not vocal, but you know) on this forum when they don't like something than when they do for some reason. All the negativity you think there is surrounding this statue is made up from reading the comments here.

There are many more factors that contributed to the edition size than Sideshow adding black knee pads.

The amount of products on the market, Price and especially character popularity are way bigger contributors to the es. Which to me honestly makes sense. Look at the new Wolverine PF in which they took maybe his second or third favourite costume, added quite a bit of Sideshow flare and the ex alone has an edition size of 2500. Because it's ----in' Wolverine. This piece to me looks just as good as the new Wolverine. Maybe better, but I wouldn't pre-order it because it's Daredevil. Check comic sales. He ain't that hot.

All that I'm really trying to get across here is that this is far from the first time Sideshow has taken liberties with costumes and the others haven't been this low. If it is a factor in sales, it's only by a very small margin and nowhere near as significant as some of you seem to think.
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:46 PM   #459
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanesg View Post
And like I've said before, that's wrong. In a bubble remember. The response to this piece outside of this forum has been overwhelmingly positive. People tend to be a lot more vocal on this forum when they don't like something than when they do for some reason. All the negativity you think there is surrounding this statue is made up from reading the comments here.

There are many more factors that contributed to the edition size than Sideshow adding black knee pads.

The amount of products on the market, Price and especially character popularity are way bigger contributors to the es. Which to me honestly makes sense. Look at the new Wolverine PF in which they took maybe his second or third favourite costume, added quite a bit of Sideshow flare and the ex alone has an edition size of 2500. Because it's ----in' Wolverine. This piece to me looks just as good as the new Wolverine. Maybe better, but I wouldn't pre-order it because it's Daredevil. Check comic sales. He ain't that hot.
This isn't exactly the first Marvel PF with a low edition size. The last Punisher PF had an EX of 350. They didn't take any liberties with that one. Hawkeye had a 350 EX too. Classic costumes. Heck the first Black Widow PF only managed an EX ES of 500 and that was for a female piece.

I don't think this can be considered a bust. Maybe they could have moved a few more pieces with a more classic costume, but maybe not.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:06 PM   #460
ambasah
Red Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanesg View Post
And like I've said before, that's wrong. In a bubble remember. The response to this piece outside of this forum has been overwhelmingly positive. People tend to be a lot more vocal(maybe not vocal, but you know) on this forum when they don't like something than when they do for some reason. All the negativity you think there is surrounding this statue is made up from reading the comments here.

All that I'm really trying to get across here is that this is far from the first time Sideshow has taken liberties with costumes and the others haven't been this low. If it is a factor in sales, it's only by a very small margin and nowhere near as significant as some of you seem to think.

that is why I purposefully selected Elektra as a comparison. Would anyone here say she is as popular as DD ?

To address your points:

1. They are about equal in terms of other options in this scale (products in the market). Both have a previous pf, comiquette and an option from xm....and attakus as well if you want to go back a bit further.

2. Price: both are $575

3. character popularity - Does ANYONE here think they are equal in this regard ?

Surely everyone would agree that they expected DD to have a higher edition size than elektra when these were initially previewed. The fact that they are the same says it all in my view (and for the record I like the new elektra statue).
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote