Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 01-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #1
ChunkyZergling
Frackin!

Thread For Statue Producers and Sculptors, TY

Hi statue community. This will be a rather long thread with multiple questions, so I will not have to make multiple threads. I figured this would be the ideal to place to make such as posting as many of you are in this business. Answers provided would be much appreciated. Thank you before hand.

I'm thinking of starting a small studio. I do not know all I need to about the production process, artists, and artist producer relations.

I have heard that all of SideShow's and many studios such as ARH Studios, pieces are digitally sculpted and painted. I know not every sculpture on the these forums digitally sculpts their pieces. Are they digitally painted too (whatever that would entail)? What are the pro's and cons of digital sculpting? Would I have to have to use digital sculpting (and painting?) if I wanted to mass produce (500-1000 ES) a piece?

I have read that SideShow and other companies make their pieces by producing and original casting and then duplicating the mold multiple times from that. I have heard that one mold can only make about 25 castings before it starts to deteriorate (this is for polystone statues, not PVC). Is this correct? Is this true of both digitally sculpted pieces and hand sculpted ones?

So digital or hand-sculpted for mass production?

On a another topic: do you know if SideShow artists, like the team that produced Punisher Comiquette!!!!!!, are available for commissions or do they have contracts with SideShow?

If you commission a piece from artist that you may plan on making a large edition size of more than just a couple, or even just a couple, and would want copyrights to the piece, what would you do? Obviously I would want to be fair, and if I sell the quantity I can only dream of producing right now, and not want screw the artist over should there be a contract? Does anyone know about this who maybe commissioned their own statue from an artist?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, if you made it this far, and have a nice day. May Batman Premium Format be released in March (as stated by SideShow)!!! Be well.

-I was not sure where to post this thread. In General Discussion, most posts had nothing to do with statues so I figured this forum was the place to get answers. Ty.
ChunkyZergling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #2
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Just to be clear make sure you follow the forum rules, no talks about unlicensed statues. If you plan to make original sculpts and designs of your own creations then the thread will be good for all to talk about.

Any mention of unlicensed stuff I'm sure the mods and owner will axe this thread. So starting a studio and asking for info is welcomed but first sign of not getting a license to produce IE marvel. DC etc... will just get deleted and miss out on good info.

With that being said.

You can print a 3D item and its good for ever, take that 3D item and make a mold and can make a good 25 copies or so before the mold starts to get messed up. Some push out more, but then requires cleaning up. But after that 25 you can take the original 3D print and make another mold out of that for another 25.

Same goes for original sculpts, long as you keep the master safe and ready for more mold making can keep making copies.

But this is with rubber mold etc.. over seas at production factories i think they make ceramic molds or something where they can push out tons of copies for one mold. Cause its a production line etc..

As for painting I'm not sure about digital painting yet, its possible in time i guess. But most of not all statues are hand painting on a assembly line in factories. Like all pre paints, they are casted in pieces, painted and glued to gather but not in that order. Some can be glued together and then painted. No pre paint statue is casted as one solid piece 99.99% of the time they are casted in pieces.

meaning the meter sculpt is "keyed" so if you do a 3D print its wise to key it digitally and then get pieces to mold up and cast. If you do a original clay sculpt, have to "cut & key" it for mold making.

So hope thats some info for a good start, just remember no chat about unlicensed stuff. But if you plan to purchase a license then its welcome if its official etc...
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
afreeman
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

You mentioned getting the copyright, I believe as Vince mentioned above, for an existing character owned by another company, you need to acquire the license to produce the copyrighted product.
If you are talking about an original character, you automatically own the copyright, but you have to register with the library of congress to gain protection of the copyright, which you can do online.
As far as digitally sculpting, that may be used just to get the concept fleshed out, or maybe for 3D printing, although 3D printing is very expensive from what I have heard, so I'm not really sure on this.
The main thing is to be upfront, acquire licensing for existing characters you may want to produce, and be fair to all involved, making sure you do what you say you will do and all involved get whatever compensation contracted or promised as a bad reputation can ruin you quickly in this business!
afreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #4
ChunkyZergling
Frackin!

Thanks a lot guys. I have a found a good sculptor. He sculpts in super sculpey and Aves apoxie. Would I be able to make a mold from one prototype that could be used to make polystone statues? I would think this is possible.

Would anyone on these forums be willing to make a mold for me?

Edit: I should have asked first off: Are those materials high quality, as in you would be happy to have a statue made out of one, or are rather light and cheap (like PVC)? Ty
ChunkyZergling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:33 AM   #5
afreeman
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

A lot of manufacturers are using polystone now, Sideshow, Syco, Razors edge, etc. Polystone is used in a lot of commercial and home counter top type situations, but there are conflicting reports on its durability and quality, Basically Polystone is just resin mixed with another ingredient to make it harder which makes it more brittle.
http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1059607/
http://radiantdreamer.net/anime-prid...lystone-oh-my/
http://www.riuva.com/?p=301
Hope this helps
afreeman is offline   Reply With Quote