Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 03-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
Tangyson
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Need some info on painting a kit

Hey all Im new to painting. Im fixing to paint a model kit, so i scrubbed it first to remove the mold realease then I primed it with krylon white primer them I gave it a base coat using an air brush with createx paint, but even when the paint seems to be dry it seems that I can scratch it off, my question is do I need to use some sort of sealer for the paint so it wont come off?, or did I miss a step or do something wrong??
Tangyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
riderV3
ROT Minister of Scientific Emergency Management

It sounds like the Createx layer is too soft...

If you want fast drying hard paint layer, use lacquer base paint such as Mr.Colors.

I personally do not recommand any paint that you can pick up from Michael's/Hobby Lobby.

I use Tamiya for most of my stuff, and sometimes enamel from Testors.

Go to your local hobby shop such as HobbytownUSA, they usually have a better selection of specialty paint.
riderV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
skorpsta
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderV3 View Post
It sounds like the Createx layer is too soft...

If you want fast drying hard paint layer, use lacquer base paint such as Mr.Colors.

I personally do not recommand any paint that you can pick up from Michael's/Hobby Lobby.

I use Tamiya for most of my stuff, and sometimes enamel from Testors.

Go to your local hobby shop such as HobbytownUSA, they usually have a better selection of specialty paint.
sorry i have to disagree with you..i get my paints from micheals {americana, delta ceramacoat, liqutex } and they all work great. i also use vallejo model colors..they are great!!..the primer i use is plasti kote..it sprays smooth and nice...to me createx is terrible its to rubbery...and rubs off..but thats just my opinion. i alwyas seal my paints with testors dullcoat or gloss coat..also krylon crystal clear gloss or matte spray..take a look at my repaints they were all done whith these prodcuts.
skorpsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #4
Tangyson

yeah i had read on this forum that createx was not really recomended, but i have a whole set, and i dont want it just sitting there I wanna practice with them then look into another brand. That testors dull coat, will it work to make the createx more permanent? How many coats of paint does a model kit need?

Thanks for the info guys. And Skorpsta, thats some really great work, actually I was reading your posts, about using americana paints and how they work for you, and I saw the results you get with them, and i got a set of those too. On what parts of the kit do you use an airbrush? Or do you use a brush on all of it?
Old 03-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #5
skorpsta
Ghost

read this thread....WHAT PAINTS?
http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=66971
Old 03-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
monomaster1
Sinister Six

you're on the right track. Createx is a good acrylic paint. After you prime and paint your base layer, seal with Dullcoat. Do it after every layer. Your paint job will be very durable with the sealer.
monomaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
ComputerFly
The Phantom

To get Createx to cure, the piece needs to be heated. If you check their website, that information is actually in their product PDF for the airbrush paints. Even then, Createx is made to be pliable, as it's really meant for use on T-shirts and such. You can use it, but you need to heat it thoroughly, give it a while to dry, and then seal it.
ComputerFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #8
skorpsta
Ghost

also watch this...PAINTING AND KIT DVDS..TO BUY
http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=112419
Old 03-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #9
kenny
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Createx is a different type of paint and really should only be used for base cotes. It does need a significant amount of dry time or heating. I use it just to do large one color base cotes and use better quality paint for details. Your end product will be much better quality if you steer away from the Createx and use it sparingly. It's not the best paint for beginners. Pick up a small set of Goldens airbrush paint or Comart, both will give you flawless results.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
Tangyson

Thaks for the great info everyone I appreciate it.