Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 04-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
CircleofOne
Doh!

Waxy/translucent skin effect

Hey everyone, first post, long time lurker.

I'm painting an original right now that is a combination of Apoxie Sculpt and Super Sculpey. It's been primered in with dark grey to get a closer match for the sculpey and as.

I'm painting with brush and acrylics (ceramcoat, golden, and liquitex). I can't at all afford an airbrush sadly.

My questions is if anyone knows any techniques for getting a waxy translucent effect for skin. I want the skin to be rather pallid in places like it doesn't have a lot of blood underneath. I think I can get the color, but not sure about the translucent effect.

Would I mix a little gloss medium to some layers, then do a light matte wash/thin layer on top?
CircleofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:29 AM   #2
Voshizle@gmail.
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

The best way to do it would be to cast it in translucent resin. Not sure hot to just paint it that way but hopefully one of the masters can help.
Voshizle@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:50 AM   #3
CircleofOne
Doh!

Thanks voshizle. This is an original that won't be cast, so changing the material isn't an option unfortunately.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
Jesse321
Galactus

You do realize that SS degrades and cracks over time right?
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
DisturbedEarth
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleofOne View Post
Hey everyone, first post, long time lurker.

I'm painting an original right now that is a combination of Apoxie Sculpt and Super Sculpey. It's been primered in with dark grey to get a closer match for the sculpey and as.

I'm painting with brush and acrylics (ceramcoat, golden, and liquitex). I can't at all afford an airbrush sadly.

My questions is if anyone knows any techniques for getting a waxy translucent effect for skin. I want the skin to be rather pallid in places like it doesn't have a lot of blood underneath. I think I can get the color, but not sure about the translucent effect.

Would I mix a little gloss medium to some layers, then do a light matte wash/thin layer on top?
Is this what you had in mind as far as translucence??

DisturbedEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
CircleofOne
Doh!

Jesse, I've had pieces from nothing but SS that have held up for years. With the right armature, and complete baking, not to mention not being dropped, it is sturdy enough. Not quite Apoxie Sculpt, but it does the job.

Yeah DisturbedEarth that's very much what I would like to achieve. The subtle translucence/gloss effect.