Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 04-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #11
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Good read indeed.

Business is business. Sucks for fans but the Mouse knows what they are doing so I expect that we will just plan on seeing all of the non-Mutant stories explored until Marvel can get the rights back. I don't see this having a quick resolution as the Xmen franchise is still very profitable and I am sure Fox can milk this for many years to come - it's not like there aren't a million stories they could explore for future movies.

The Avengers are in the center of my universe of favorite characters so I have to admit I haven't followed this very closely as I have been enjoying what Marvel is doing lately. Is the deal with Sony for Spiderman different? Did Marvel get Spidey back?

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:11 AM   #12
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Good read indeed.

Business is business. Sucks for fans but the Mouse knows what they are doing so I expect that we will just plan on seeing all of the non-Mutant stories explored until Marvel can get the rights back. I don't see this having a quick resolution as the Xmen franchise is still very profitable and I am sure Fox can milk this for many years to come - it's not like there aren't a million stories they could explore for future movies.

The Avengers are in the center of my universe of favorite characters so I have to admit I haven't followed this very closely as I have been enjoying what Marvel is doing lately. Is the deal with Sony for Spiderman different? Did Marvel get Spidey back?
Spidey's rights haven't reverted back to Marvel, but they've come to an agreement where Spidey can appear in the upcoming Civil War. I don't know what Sony gets in return. Maybe Marvel will loan them a character for their movies in return. So it's kind of like joint custody with Marvel getting visitation rights.

And it does feel like a lengthy strategy with Fox and the X-Men. Fantastic Four have sucked (in the movies), so I wouldn't be surprised if those rights return sooner. The X-Men though, as you said, still very profitable.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:39 AM   #13
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Interesting. With Spidey in the Civil war story he will become even more viable/profitable for Sony so I am curious to see how that plays out.

It seems to me that Sony and Fox 'bought low" on these franchises and can reap in the benefit on the exploding popularity of superhero cinematic projects. It probably doesn't make any sense to let the rights revert back due to the money to be made. I think Disney is going to have to back up a truck of cash to get them to willingly release these stories back.

CAF
Old 04-11-2015, 11:46 AM   #14
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Interesting. With Spidey in the Civil war story he will become even more viable/profitable for Sony so I am curious to see how that plays out.

It seems to me that Sony and Fox 'bought low" on these franchises and can reap in the benefit on the exploding popularity of superhero cinematic projects. It probably doesn't make any sense to let the rights revert back due to the money to be made. I think Disney is going to have to back up a truck of cash to get them to willingly release these stories back.
At some point superheroes will lose their popularity and then we will see what happens. They can only reboot these franchises so many times.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:51 AM   #15
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
At some point superheroes will lose their popularity and then we will see what happens. They can only reboot these franchises so many times.
I agree, to some point but they would have to lose a lot of popularity to not be viable any more. I see this having a long tail and being quite a while before that would happen.

Let's see what happens with the FF movie

CAF
Old 04-11-2015, 01:22 PM   #16
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
Spidey's rights haven't reverted back to Marvel, but they've come to an agreement where Spidey can appear in the upcoming Civil War. I don't know what Sony gets in return. Maybe Marvel will loan them a character for their movies in return. So it's kind of like joint custody with Marvel getting visitation rights.

And it does feel like a lengthy strategy with Fox and the X-Men. Fantastic Four have sucked (in the movies), so I wouldn't be surprised if those rights return sooner. The X-Men though, as you said, still very profitable.
this is a huge boost for sony, it brings them into the MCU. now more people will go to see a sony spiderman movie because its part of that shared universe. the MCU is like a season of your favorite tv series, you don't want to miss an episode. now sony has an episode in that hit season, more people will want to watch. apart from that feige is coproducer and will make sure they don't muck it up

this has been an issue for antman I think, at least based on the trailers and everything weve seen from avengers etc. it doesn't feel like its part of the MCU. like you wont miss anything if you don't see it, I don't think its going to do well unfortunately
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:04 PM   #17
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
this is a huge boost for sony, it brings them into the MCU. now more people will go to see a sony spiderman movie because its part of that shared universe. the MCU is like a season of your favorite tv series, you don't want to miss an episode. now sony has an episode in that hit season, more people will want to watch. apart from that feige is coproducer and will make sure they don't muck it up

this has been an issue for antman I think, at least based on the trailers and everything weve seen from avengers etc. it doesn't feel like its part of the MCU. like you wont miss anything if you don't see it, I don't think its going to do well unfortunately

That is pretty much it. My simplified understanding of the arraignment is that Marvel Studios reboots Spider-man, starting with an appearance in Civil War. Sony will utilize that rebooted Spider-man in Sony financed and distributed films that are however creatively led by Marvel Studios. Sony will retain all rights and profits from Spider-man in their films. Additionally Sony will get to use an MCU character(s) in their film.

Marvel Studios will get to utilize Spider-man in their ensemble films but with oversight from Sony regarding Spider-man. Marvel Studios will retain all profits from their films. Additionally Disney will continue to be the sole licensor for Spider-man products on platforms.

Sony benefits as their franchise gets a MASSIVE boost from the MCU/Avengers brand and, quite frankly, the creative competence of Marvel Studios. Disney benefits from the use of Marvel's true flagship character and the uptick the characters popularity will bear on the licensing side of the equation.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:11 PM   #18
risingstar
Jedi Order

It's amazing how Marvel in one person's hands ends up in Chapter 11 while in another person's hands, it makes billions per year.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #19
protector2814
Phoenix

I don't know guys ... The X-Men has been fairly unfollowable, at least for me, for a while now. Sure there have been attempts to clean it up w/ arcs like House of M and the recent All New X-Men, but I think Marvel kinda shot themselves in the foot with this line a while ago. I'm sure that Disney would like nothing better for the characters to go away for a while, hoping that they'll eventually come back to Marvel Studios, but I'm not going to completely blame them for killing the x-men. Marvel was involved in that before Disney ever got involved. Just my opinion.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #20
XSE
Nightwing

The just announced departure of Mike Marts who just took over as the X-office editor only further lends credit to this IMO.
XSE is offline   Reply With Quote