Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 05-19-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
Voshizle@gmail.
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Re-Paint advice please

I've got some action figures laying around and I hate the factory paint on them. I was just wondering if anyone here knew if acrylic paint would work on them? My main concern is that parts (capes and such) are a flexible plastic and I don't want the paint cracking.
Thanks in advance
Voshizle@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
logan25
Sculptor
Sculptor

acrylic is reasonabaly flexible so would probably be ok, the biggest problem would be the paint rubbing off where the joins are etc. Not sure how you could deal with that.
logan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
Voshizle@gmail.

Thanks for the input man. Well they're McFarlane so they don't really have ball joints and such, just the rotating ones. And I'm planning on patching the gaps and just making them statues since you can't really change the pose anyway. Oh and I was wondering if it's even worth trying to strip them first (if it's even possible) or if I should just go ahead and prime then go from there.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
logan25
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voshizle@gmail. View Post
Thanks for the input man. Well they're McFarlane so they don't really have ball joints and such, just the rotating ones. And I'm planning on patching the gaps and just making them statues since you can't really change the pose anyway. Oh and I was wondering if it's even worth trying to strip them first (if it's even possible) or if I should just go ahead and prime then go from there.
You probably could strip em allthough i would be very catious due to the softer plastics but i wouldnt bother, the paint on any of the spawn figures i had was usually pretty smooth
Old 05-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
Voshizle@gmail.

Yea they're mostly just a light base with an ink wash and then a bit of drybrushing. Well thanks again for your input, if they turn out half way decent I'll be posting pics in a few days.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #6
logan25
Sculptor
Sculptor

Good luck
Old 05-20-2009, 11:56 PM   #7
chipper
Doh!

I repaint the McFarlane Sports figures, and you can just prime over the factory paint and apply your own with acrylics.

If you strip them you do have to be careful, especially with Acetone. I've had problems with the thinner sections. I am going to try Dawn Power Dissolver on my next one (read about it on the CH).
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:19 AM   #8
Voshizle@gmail.

Thanks for the advice. I got my first one finished up today. Might put up pictures tomorrow. Although I did something that is possibly unforgivable, I left out Spawn's white markings, chest and mask because when I got done with the rest I just thought he looked fine without!