Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitefall View Post
BEAUTIFUL shots! Thank you.
Thank you kindly.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Yeah.. I remember the bunker. Gorgeous area!Cannon Beach is the top surfspot in Oregon, pretty much.
Only problem with Oregon surf, is.. as always.. LOTS of sharks. Far more sharks there than in California.

When you hit Newport, there's a great Sealife Park there, but even better.. Rogue Brewery is located there. SOOO many great world-renowned beers, and they use Kobe beef on their burgers.

Best thing about the brewery is... when my exwife and I went there around Thanksgiving, I ordered an additional Kobe patty on my quarter (or half, I forget now) pound burger, and they said "nobody's ever NEEDED another patty before", which my wife got a laugh out of, saying I could handle it..

A few months later, we went back (think it was Valentine's Day, after staying at a B&B).. and an asterisk was next to the burger section, saying "additional Kobe patty - $2.00" or something like that. I jokingly asked the waitress about the addition to the menu, and she said a few months ago a guy came in on Thanksgiving and asked for an additional patty which nobody's ever done, so they thought to add it to the menu later.

That guy was me.
I've eaten burgers worldwide, huge burger enthusiast (dark beer enthusiast also, I've cut back dramatically on both, though), and that brewery has some of the best I've ever had; they also have a HUGE selection of Rogue brews (which win several national awards annually), and a great view of Newport Bay. Plus, you can get a tour of the place.

Go check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Thanks Ryan.

Some of those pics are probably real close to places you know. The beach shots are from a hike on the Tillamook Head Trail which connects Seaside to Cannon Beach at Indian Beach in Ecola State Park. The trail head is at the end of Sunset Blvd. which is the most popular surfing area in Seaside so I'm sure you know where I'm talking about. Its a great hike. About 5 miles in there is a hikers camp in the middle of the woods with 3 small cabins where we spent the night and an old WWII bunker built into the side of the hillside that was used as a lookout for approaching war ships from Japan. I have more pictures of that stuff too I just didn't post them.

As for Newport I'll be there the first week in April. My girl and I stay in Depoe Bay every year at the beginning of Spring.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #13
Alex655321
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Those are some amazing shots !
Alex655321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #14
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Great story Ryan. I'm a big beer enthusiast myself. I mean how can you not be living in the NW. Rogue is one of my personal favorites too, particularly their "Dead Guy Ale" which I purchase by the case around Halloween when it hits Costco since its like $10 a 6-pack in stores.

I've never been to the Newport brewery hough. Thanks for the recommendation, I'm going to make a point to go next month, its a great idea.
Will definitely order a burger too and who knows maybe I'll even get a second patty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex655321 View Post
Those are some amazing shots !
Thanks Louis.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #15
statman
Baron Zemo

Great pics HB! Looks like an area I would definitely like to visit.

Man, I need to get out and take some pics...
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #16
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman View Post
Great pics HB! Looks like an area I would definitely like to visit.

Man, I need to get out and take some pics...
Thanks.

The Pacific NW is filled with beautiful scenery and living in Portland has its advantages. I'm just over an hour away from the beach, the mountains or the desert. Just depends on which direction you head. A little bit of everything.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #17
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Thanks.

The Pacific NW is filled with beautiful scenery and living in Portland has its advantages. I'm just over an hour away from the beach, the mountains or the desert. Just depends on which direction you head. A little bit of everything.
Ugh.. don't remind me.

I'm ON the beach here, but.. I miss the variety you have, practically within walking distance. We have that all here too, but it's more spread out, and it's covered in idiots.

But.. Oregon has the waterfalls, the rivers, the small town feel, the seasons and the ambiance California only WISHES it could have.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #18
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Unfortunately we have our share of idiots here too. Most probably migrated up from California while the rest are native pot smoking, petiole oil wearing hippies who think collecting unemployment is actually a job.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #19
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Unfortunately we have our share of idiots here too. Most probably migrated up from California while the rest are native pot smoking, petiole oil wearing hippies who think collecting unemployment is actually a job.
I lived in "Pot Central", remember? Eugene, Oregon?

You never saw it unless you went looking for it, though.. but that's probably also because we lived in the Southern Hills, which was the White Collar/Upper Class residential area; more families, less drugs.

No hippies in that area really, either. I love the stereotypes about Oregon being all hippies and Pot-smoking... far from the truth.

I think Oregon still has the highest unemployment in the nation, though?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #20
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Not sure if its the highest but its up there. Just a lot of people here that feel they should be able to collect a paycheck for doing nothing is all. I think that series Portlandia says it best - "Portland, where young people go to retire."

There is a lot of truth to the stereotypes though. Obviously its a select group but there is still an abundance of hippies and pot smokers. My job has me in people's homes every day so I see it first hand.