Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-03-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
06gto
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Blu Ray VS Non Blu Ray

We just bought a Blu Ray DVD player (Sony) and after watching about 4 movies with it I really don't see much difference ? What does everyone else think about Blu Ray ?
06gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

I don't see the difference either
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
dr_teng

Depends on your TV, if your TV is calibrated, and the Blu-rays you purchased. Some Blu-rays are made from crappy old transfers and don't show much difference at all.

With a large and properly calibrated HDTV and good to great discs, there's a very noticeable difference in both video and audio.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_teng View Post
Depends on your TV, if your TV is calibrated, and the Blu-rays you purchased. Some Blu-rays are made from crappy old transfers and don't show much difference at all.

With a large and properly calibrated HDTV and good to great discs, there's a very noticeable difference in both video and audio.
but it's still the same movie
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
Python
Omega Red

what tv are you using? a decent 1080p tv with a good hdmi lead will display blu ray in its full glory...... that being hugely better than dvd and very noticably so. Watch star trek on blu ray, it is fantastic. Also the sound is much improved over dvd but again is dependant on your hardware as to how noticable it is.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:23 PM   #6
UC7
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.
Adamantium Plus Member

You may need:

1) a big enough TV to notice the difference in detail - bigger than 30" - must be at least 720 resolution, but 1080p is preferred.
2) a Blu-ray disc that is from a newer movie (some older ones are enhanced well enough to show detailed difference, but the newer digital releases are the ones that really pop)
3) good enough vision to pick up the difference in resolution (if you don't have at least 20/40 vision, you probably won't notice much unless the screen is absolutely huge)

Maybe I am dating myself, but I recall when I first saw the difference between laserdiscs and VHS (400 and 240 resolution.) It really blew me away. The jump from laserdisc to DVD was less impressive (400 to 500.)
UC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
Averone
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by UC7 View Post
You may need:

1) a big enough TV to notice the difference in detail - bigger than 30" - must be at least 720 resolution, but 1080p is preferred.
2) a Blu-ray disc that is from a newer movie (some older ones are enhanced well enough to show detailed difference, but the newer digital releases are the ones that really pop)
3) good enough vision to pick up the difference in resolution (if you don't have at least 20/30 vision, you probably won't notice much unless the screen is absolutely huge)
ON the money answer!

And it helps to get a real good TV! Thats were the money is well spent! Also the sound, dont forget the sound!
Averone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #8
Troy
A day without sunshine is like... night.

It definately needs to be played on a 1080p hd tv. I have a 52' Sony Bravia, playing a blu ray compared to a regular dvd is like night and day.
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:33 PM   #9
Closetnerd
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Surprised nobody has mentioned the surround sound difference from DVD to BLU-RAY. It is quite substantial for me, but I have a pretty decent surround sound set up.
Closetnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:59 PM   #10
spider-man
Knife to the Eye

You have to have a 1080p large screen @ 24 fps 120htz. Any thing less you won't see much difference although the HD tracks should be significantly different. They're like night and day on my setup.
spider-man is offline   Reply With Quote