Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Hot Toys

Old 10-14-2023, 08:40 AM   #1
nermin93
Frackin!

New collector

Hello, i've been very tempted for a while to jump in on yhe hot toys & 1/6 "toy" collectibles. mainly collect 1/4 statues today. How is the aftermarket on the hot toys? is it worth to pre-order or just wait and buy once they are released, as i understand they are not limited and numbered in the same way as statues? do they hold any value past release? would love some pointers from you guys that have been collecting them for a while.
nermin93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 03:15 PM   #2
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by nermin93 View Post
Hello, i've been very tempted for a while to jump in on yhe hot toys & 1/6 "toy" collectibles. mainly collect 1/4 statues today. How is the aftermarket on the hot toys? is it worth to pre-order or just wait and buy once they are released, as i understand they are not limited and numbered in the same way as statues? do they hold any value past release? would love some pointers from you guys that have been collecting them for a while.
After market on Hot Toys is not great. As usual driven by supply and demand. Franchises like the Disney Star Wars sequel trilogy for the most part have no value as demand is just not there, As for supply, Sideshow, the worldwide distributor, has been over ordering since Infinity War and for the last couple of years has had offer deep discounts to move their warehouse full of over stock. There is no benefit to preordering. Hot Toys doesn?t offer many exclusive only figures or fixed quantities. Some of those may appreciate in value. I was able to secure there high end rooted hair Scarlet Witch.

Other concerns with Hot Toys is the mixed media or seamless bodies and pleather which may deteriorate in the box. So ?mint sealed? doesn?t mean the figure is good condition just like a ?mint sealed? statue doesn?t mean it isn?t broken.

Sixth scale community also includes customizers, extremely limited custom builds, unlicensed third party and now high-end figures (like InArt and JND).

While Hot Toys typically doesn?t re-release figures, they have loop-holes. Can re-release in a multiple pack, release under different license (Deathtrooper originally released under Rogue One but re-release as part of The Mandalorian with little to not changes). And while not a re-release, Hot Toys will revisit characters but with improvements like recently announced Iron Man Mk2.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 03:12 PM   #3
Electric Tiki
Producer
Producer

I wish we could get a new classic Leia, maybe Boushh or even a New Hope revisit.
Electric Tiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 12:25 PM   #4
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nermin93 View Post
Buy the characters you like in the scale you want based on availability and your budget. Never mind the aftermarket value. Enjoy the hobby as it is.

Collect something else if aftermarket value is a critical concern of yours. Mass produced toys is not a right category for that matter. That's the truth.
Hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote