Statue Forum 





Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2024, 11:52 PM   #30121
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch
Moderator
 
IcedDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
I actually need to drop Godzilla Minus one to a 7/10 because 2014 is vastly superior in almost every way now that I have seen both within a couple of weeks. Minus one is just average at everything when it comes to a good monster film.
Minus One was a decent flick, but 2014 is still my favorite Godzilla film. I too would've liked to have seen more of that human character, but it didn't dampen my enjoyment much. A lot complain that zilla wasn't in it enough, but the MUTOs were such a cool design and picked up that slack for parts of the film.
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM   #30122
ukshaun
Hercules
 
ukshaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 14,726


Deerskin (2019)
6.8/10

Man going through a midlife crisis. He decides to become a film maker. It's a jacket thing
Great cast!
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM   #30123
Augen
Green Arrow
 
Augen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 10,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
Godzilla 2014 - 8/10. This could've been a 9 or 9.5 for me if the writers didn't kill off the best character for poor reasoning. This is the biggest what if for me out of any monster movie I've ever seen. I remember being so frustrated walking out of the theatre because of this. That frustration is probably why I never bothered to watch it again until today, but I wanted to compare it to Minus one.

I actually need to drop Godzilla Minus one to a 7/10 because 2014 is vastly superior in almost every way now that I have seen both within a couple of weeks. Minus one is just average at everything when it comes to a good monster film.
I'd re watch Minus One (again) in a heartbeat. I have zero desire to ever watch 2014 again.

Different strokes and all, clearly opinion here is divided on it. Minus One felt like a true love letter to the series and character to me, and the other a bland generic adaptation with maybe a couple minutes I actually enjoyed through a slog.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM   #30124
azurepred
Green Lantern Corps
 
azurepred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
Minus One was a decent flick, but 2014 is still my favorite Godzilla film. I too would've liked to have seen more of that human character, but it didn't dampen my enjoyment much. A lot complain that zilla wasn't in it enough, but the MUTOs were such a cool design and picked up that slack for parts of the film.
In order to have a solid monster movie, you have to have a connection to the human characters. I think that's what they were going for, especially in the beginning (it worked!). That connection was good (especially because I'm a huge Olsen fan), but the father-son combo made more sense to build the movie off of imo. Did you watch the youtube video that was a "what if he survived"? That would've been pure perfection to me.

I always prefer a monster movie to slowly show us what we are going to build up to in the end. That method goes way back, obviously. My fav monster flick of all time, Predator also followed that path and I don't recall people saying we didn't see him enough. So, I never understood that slight to G14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I'd re watch Minus One (again) in a heartbeat. I have zero desire to ever watch 2014 again.

Different strokes and all, clearly opinion here is divided on it. Minus One felt like a true love letter to the series and character to me, and the other a bland generic adaptation with maybe a couple minutes I actually enjoyed through a slog.
That's probably why I hated it. It was trying to be similar to movies done in what, the 50s? I couldn't connect to any of the characters or Godzilla. I get why hardcore Zilla lovers would enjoy it, but I don't think it's a good film for the casuals.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:01 AM   #30125
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch
Moderator
 
IcedDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
My fav monster flick of all time, Predator also followed that path and I don't recall people saying we didn't see him enough. So, I never understood that slight to G14.
Same theory for Jaws, you don't see the shark much in the first half (though some of that was unintentional because Bruce kept breaking down ). Whenever you do see Zilla in 2014, it's so damn satisfying. The Godzilla v Kong movies are fun, but I like the series Monarch: Legacy Of Monsters more as it expands the lore, and the human stories are much better written and more interesting, with kaiju punctuating scenes where needed.
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:06 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright StatueForum.com