Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 08-05-2010, 12:14 AM   #21
The Batfan
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

OHHH I am sooo stayin out of this one FOR NOW LOL
The Batfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:32 AM   #22
liamsynclair
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batfan View Post
what???? Do my ears and eyes deceive me!....lol
liamsynclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:13 AM   #23
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by daikins View Post

How could you EVER blame Adam for this? Why would you feel the need to ever blame Adam for this?
"HOW DARE SOMEONE PAY YOU THAT MUCH FOR YOUR WORK!!! YOUR SUCCESS HAS DOOMED US ALLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
he(or Allison....) set up the auctions. Why not just do a lottery system instead at a reasonable rated sketch price so that everyone has a chance of getting into this, instead of just those with money to burn, so to speak?
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:18 AM   #24
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
I understand what you're saying but your analogy/comparison seems inaccurate particularly if you're likening Adam to a fool and the successful bidders/fans as fools who follow him.

Adam didn't set the price, that's a result of supply and demand and there is a large demand for Adam's work including from people with large disposable incomes (good luck to them).
no I wasn't likening Adam to a fool, Royd. I've met him(in his ghost days before things really hit off) and he's a lovely guy.

The Obi-wan quote just seemed to fit
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:32 AM   #25
Scottsdale Saint
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division View Post
he(or Allison....) set up the auctions. Why not just do a lottery system instead at a reasonable rated sketch price so that everyone has a chance of getting into this, instead of just those with money to burn, so to speak?
He and Allison have stated as often as they can, that Adam, not only doesn't like to sketch in SD, he often cannot, because of the endless appearances he makes, as well as the endless sketch and autograph requests...so they just make it a one or a two off, and let the chips fall where they may.

Why would he do a lottery, when they can make five times as much ($600 being his most current stated rate in SD), and only have to do one or two of them.

I don't have a problem with this system, as the market will out, and more and more artists are adopting this method for SDCC, which makes it even easier for me to avoid the place altogether. Too bad, but it was a good run, going nine out of eleven years, so I have no complaints really, Seattle and Baltimore will do well in scratching my commission itch.
Scottsdale Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:40 AM   #26
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

For $3,000, it better come with a night of complimentary private dances in the champagne room.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:26 AM   #27
The Batfan
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamsynclair View Post
what???? Do my ears and eyes deceive me!....lol
welllll my AH rants are endless now I see where someone mentioned a lottery system umm would that not be like the supposed random system he had for years at cons which were in fact pick and choose like to have been random there would have been like tickets and a drawing of a ticket.

But I will now say that in all honesty I don't think its AH that does any of this I think its probably Allison, I have never seen Adam do much more than glance up at people and say Hi and etc. But her posts and comments in the statues areas before she was banned on here lead me to believe Adam might be oblivious to what goes on and gets blamed on him.

do I think the piece is worth the money spent NO would I pay that NO but as the old sayin goes " there is a sucker born every minute" I would have expected if you paid that kinda money you would have gotten a much nicer piece as a thanks for coughin up that much money.

To me if you wanna be fair about it being that all your getting no matter if the auction ends for 6 bucks or 3500 is a "con Sketch" keep the 600 bucks that you charge for a normal con sketch and donate the rest of the auction proceeds to a charity.
The Batfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:47 AM   #28
khazano
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Do I think that's worth 3k? Nope. Not in a million years. Do I think the Hughes sketch market will continue to command 3k+ for sketches forever? Again, No. I think these copic sketches are a new fad right now. In time the market for them will cool off and those ebay auctions will return to semi-sane prices. (But because of the way Adam handles sketches, those auctions will always command a higher than normal price..)
khazano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:34 AM   #29
albeeman
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batfan View Post
I dont get it... did i miss something?

I already opened my mouth.. will I not be able to purchase a AH! 5-minute pencil scratch for 3000 dollars now?
albeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:55 AM   #30
liamsynclair
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I believe the same person won both auctions...so that's roughly 6700 for the pair...similar poses...Marvel n Frost...the Frost is the more detailed of the 2 and went for 3500...I think
He must have been trying for years...to go ahead n say phukk it and dish out almost 7 Gs for 2 AH! Con sketches...and he runs a Con u say?...really goes to show ya he doesn't play faves for any1...except sheepdogs! I think his at home Commishes start at 1500$...although that's got to be even harder to get accomplished than the Con list...lol...Adam Hughes OCD kicked in and couldn't resist I guess...
liamsynclair is offline   Reply With Quote