Aussies suck 5 5.26%
Monster is a troublemaker 24 25.26%
This thread should be locked 12 12.63%
This thread rocks! 25 26.32%
I like Marvelboi a little more since this all started 4 4.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
The Batfan
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Who Amongst Us Isn't an Asshole

well a month or so ago I came across art my Tim Fischer, I set up 5 gotham gals pieces and I was excited as his style is quirky and I knew they should come out cool. Well he sent me prelims pretty fast and the first 3 looked great but he did Batgirl with a Batarang and I dont like batarangs in pieces soo. I mentioned that he fixed it and she came out like I wanted. He showed me prelims of the Harley, Huntress and Catwoman as well liked all of those he sent me a prelim of the Ivy and it was just not doing it for me but I was hoping it was just the prelim.. well he finished her and she sadly looked like a shemale She hulk not the sultry female that Ivy should be so I told him I was not happy with how she came out. and he said

Hey, Lee. Thank you for your honesty. I certainly don't want you to be dissatisfied as a client.
Unfortunately, it's too late in the game to make any changes to the finished piece. Copic markers and colored pencils aren't exactly erasable. As per your request, I sent you a thumbnail/sketch for approval, and you replied that "...both (to include the Harley Quinn sketch) look real good..." and your only guidance for the Poison Ivy illustration was, "Typical costume."
If you aren't satisfied with, and do not want the Poison Ivy piece, that is completely fine. I can try to sell it or I'll post it for auction. We can count the money that you've already paid for the Poison Ivy piece as payoff for one of the other four commissions. If you'd like, we can arrange for me to make another attempt at the character at a later date.
Please let me know what you would prefer to do. Like I said, I don't want you to be dissatisfied as a client.

So I told him that I still wanted an Ivy from him so that he does not loose money that he could sell the Ivy and that I would let him keep 50% of the deposit and that I would pay for another full piece ( so I am giving away money as he gets to sell that one and I am paying for half a piece that he is selling) So he finishes the Harley and Catwoman and they both come out great, in fact I love the Catwoman..

yeah yeah long story

so he sends me a prelim of another Ivy and this one just does not work either (its still in semi rough sketch no inks no markers etc.) and I say that the pose is odd

Tim
"Face looks way better but maybe her reclining on the tree the position just looks odd, I am soo not trying to be a pain I promise just when I show off the pieces to other collectors I want to say how happy I was with each piece."

well I get this back yesterday

Lee, could you please send me your mailing address? It wasn't included in your PayPal information, for some reason. I'm going to send you the three illustrations that I've already completed for you, and I'm going to end this arrangement. For the DEEPLY discounted price of $60, I'm not going to make a third attempt at a design for you.

You've sent me $150. I've drawn three $60 images for you (at a cost of $180). I'm calling that even. I don't want any more money from you, just an address where I can send this artwork.

WTF

#1 why throw it in my face that you gave me a discount when I didnt ask for one.

#2 in our first email he said "I hope that you'll find me to be an easy and open artist with whom to work. Unless you just want to give me characters as subject matter and let me "do my thing." As long as you trust me (based on the quality and content of my previous work), I'm fine with that, too."

I sent him back an email yesterday stating how unprofessonal he was acting and that I just wanted a refund that I did not want any of the pieces from him if he was going to act like this.. Today I find the Catwoman,Harley and Batgirl all on ebay and NO refund for me so he is selling the pieces and keeping my deposit.... WTF how professional is that....

here is the first Ivy I refused

here is the 2nd that all I said need was her pose was not quite right..

The Batfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
Underdog07
Hercules

She was awesome as Princess Leia. The weight gain was unfortunate.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
Underdog07
Hercules

The eBay listing is priceless -- Granito disclaimer
Old 07-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
The Batfan
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
The eBay listing is priceless -- Granito disclaimer
well he's a Dbag for keeping my deposit then putting the pieces up for sale.... sad point is that Catwoman is Awesome
The Batfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
Underdog07
Hercules

I imagine he is going to refund you whatever he gets for the pieces

Just my thought

Situation sucks but 3of4 nice is good stats
Old 07-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #6
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Don't mean to piss you off Batfan but his final offer of sending you the 3 he did and you liked for $150 and calling it square didn't seem like throwing it in your face to me.

He made two attempts at a Poison Ivy for you and you really didn't care for either one. $60 isn't that much money and I think he felt like you just weren't going to agree on a Poison Ivy either style or pose or whatever. He didn't want to do a third one for this $60.

Selling it on ebay he may still refund your money but you basically said you didn't want the drawings so what is he supposed to do? He probably wants to see what they go for. What if they don't sell? That's why they get deposits, to make sure they get paid at least something for their work.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
I think the second Poison Ivy is pretty good. Stinks you aren't getting what you want, but I am sure he was a little frustrated with the situation as well. Sorry man. Of all the art you say you have in the works, what percentage of the commissions end up like this?
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
Brawny
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

If he is waiting to see what the finished pieces sell for, he should've told you that.
Brawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #9
patrickwm68
The Flash

It's shame it didn't work out. Those 3 pieces he did for you look great.

Maybe I'll go bid on them.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #10
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Hard to blame the guy for giving up on drawing Ivy after trying twice. He seems like a nice enough guy.

I fixed the thread title for you.

Last edited by MONSTER; 07-01-2011 at 11:18 PM.
MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote